1997 jetta tdi - hard to start...

nitroman

TDI
1997 VW Jetta TDI
I recently purchased a 1997 vw jetta tdi back in jan 08. Someone had wired a glow plug toggle switch on the dash and that shorted out, so I bypassed all the glow plug system and hooked up a manual push button for the glow plugs.

My problem is: If the car sits for more than 2 hours, no matter what the outside temperature is, I still have to use my push button glow plug switch. Once it starts, unless it sits for more than a couple of hours, it starts just fine. I wouldn't think I would have to use the glow plugs if the outside temperature is 70 degrees F.

Is this normal or do I have another problem?

thanks

nitroman

copatdir6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Are there any CEL's on the car? Are you having any other (related/not related) issues?

Not knowing the A3 body styles, I can only guess from what I know about my own car (A4 body style).
The A4 has not only the 4 engine (combustion chamber) glow plugs, but also has 3 engine coolant glow plugs. Verify that the previous owner wired the right ones to the switch....it's possible that he/you are heating up the wrong ones.

Also, the newer A4's have a coolant temperature sensor which have been known to cause some issues. This is why I asked if you had any other CEL's on your dash. If the A3 is similar, it may have something to do with that as well.....once again, just my $.02

Good Luck

nitroman

TDI
1997 VW Jetta TDI
No CEL's. The only other problem that I have had is with the MAF, which is currently unplugged. You are correct on the glow plugs, but I have mine wired directly to the wiring harness.

Could it be a temperature sensor and if so, where is it and how do I check it?

thanks

nitroman