www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 27th, 2018, 21:53   #1
bumblefreak

TDI(s): 2006 TDI
Default Key Fob Replacement from Batteries Plus

Has anybody tried the key fob replacement program through Batteries Plus? They have like 700 locations nationwide in the US and a replacement program that can supposedly do cutting and transponder programming all for $112, which is less than half the price quoted by the dealer.
bumblefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2018, 22:19   #2
STDOUBT
Veteran Member

Just to be clear, you lost a fob? Or is your fob just "broken"?
If you still have the fob, the RFID chip is probably still fine. If your fob isn't working for the remote function, you can fix that for way less than $100. Provided you still have your "old broken fob.
Either way, you might learn more, and choose a DIY option:
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/vw-key-fo...ramming-guide/
Old December 28th, 2018, 02:26   #3
mrfiat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5 mpg (in town - trying to improve it)

I bought a new fob off of Amazon for $20 and paid the local locksmith $80 to cut the key and program the RFID chip.
mrfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2018, 11:37   #4
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/

You might want to try these guys.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr Brks:
Rrusse11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 11:58   #5
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

I bought 2 complete key fobs off alibaba for $9 ea.
I also got an older Vagtacho cable for $20.

The hardest part was getting the key cut. It's just a simple milling process, but I called a few different places that only replied with "we can get you the remote, cut it, and program it for $160." Right, but I already have the remote and I know how to program it myself. How much just to cut it?
They just repeat their answer:
"We can get you the remote, cut it, and program it for $160"
They don't want to just cut it for you because that's the cheapest part.

My local Ace hardware actually does replacement transponder remotes. Their price was $200 for a new remote for my car - key, cut, program. They said they would just do the cutting for $25, BUT "we can't guarantee the key won't be damaged in the process if you bring the key. If we supply the key, we do guarantee it will be cut properly".
LOL okay guys... I was almost willing to give up and risk the $25.

I ended up buying my own key copy milling machine for $130. It's just a Chinese clone type of deal (like all the other stuff I bought) but I enjoyed getting excited about it and actually doing my own copies!

The issue was that I was going from a valet key to a regular key, and I wasn't sure how different they are. At first, I thought the difference was in the flare of the tip, but then I realized it's mostly in the thickness of the keyblade.
My physical trace&copy is not perfect, especially as some vendors (TuneMyEuro.com and etc) claim to cut the key perfectly via a stored profile database, but I got it to work everywhere - door, ignition, glovebox, and hatch!
Then I programmed it and the key fob works perfectly!

So my costs were:
$9 key
$20 cable
Whatever your cost is for cutting the key. In my situation, I paid $130 for my own cutter. But I've already cut 2 keys, and have ordered about 8 more between my 3 VAGs and any others I might buy. I later found HU66-specific key cutters for $45. Oof!

I also plan to buy a GoPro and record a Youtube video of the entire process - start to finish - about how to get replacement keys. Let me know if you think there might be a demand.
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 12:37   #6
BMAN

Good job I had to order a second key for my 15 Golf, is the dealer the only place to have it programmed?
BMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 13:44   #7
drucifer
Veteran Member

I also plan to buy a GoPro and record a Youtube video of the entire process - start to finish - about how to get replacement keys. Let me know if you think there might be a demand.[/QUOTE]

A demand for the video or providing the service? Do you want to start a part time business? Anything beyond doing for family, friends or possibly club members sounds like a lot of work and liabilty. On the liability if you copy a key to not the rightful owner, you lose or damage the only key, random people coming to your house, stock costs, if they bring you crap parts, taxes, business license, bond. you're only doing older vag cars, you're not a locksmith.
On the postive side you could meet new people, make new friends, possibly barter services. make some money.
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 20:12   #8
mrfiat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5 mpg (in town - trying to improve it)

Not sure i the 2006 VW has the RFID chip in the key, but I would guess it does. That was why I went to the locksmith. They had special software to get the secret 4 digit code for the immobilizer. I have 2003 VWs that have the immobilizer.
mrfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:14   #9
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post
A demand for the video or providing the service? Do you want to start a part time business? Anything beyond doing for family, friends or possibly club members sounds like a lot of work and liabilty. On the liability if you copy a key to not the rightful owner, you lose or damage the only key, random people coming to your house, stock costs, if they bring you crap parts, taxes, business license, bond. you're only doing older vag cars, you're not a locksmith.
On the postive side you could meet new people, make new friends, possibly barter services. make some money.
I meant demand for the how-to/walkthrough video. I planned to cover all aspects. From ordering key fobs, RFID programming, key cutting, and fob programming.
Kinda like a "Stop me if you've already heard this story: The VW I just bought only came a valet key... Here's how to fix that on the cheap" type of deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfiat View Post
Not sure i the 2006 VW has the RFID chip in the key, but I would guess it does. That was why I went to the locksmith. They had special software to get the secret 4 digit code for the immobilizer. I have 2003 VWs that have the immobilizer.
All VW (MK4s at least) have the RFID chip starting in 1999.5
That "special software" is VagTacho or similar.
Yes, 2003 has the immobilizer as well.

Most cars, VW or not, started using immobilizers in late 1990s, or early 2000s. There is no rhyme or reason though. I had a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with a plain jane metal key. Go up to the hardware store and get as many copies cut as you want, ~$3 per copy.
At the same time, it's been around 'forever' when GM introduced their VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) on the 1986 Corvette! That system was not RFID-based, but rather a resistor in the key blade.

Last edited by 2000alhVW; January 7th, 2019 at 15:22.
Old January 7th, 2019, 14:56   #10
tdi-mb

I'd be interested in seeing this end-to-end diy video on key replacement!
tdi-mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 15:15   #11
drucifer
Veteran Member

I think helping the vw community is admirable. I'm sure flexing your creative muscles would be beneficial to your psyche.

Last edited by drucifer; January 7th, 2019 at 15:17.
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 15:27   #12
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi-mb View Post
I'd be interested in seeing this end-to-end diy video on key replacement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post
I think helping the vw community is admirable. I'm sure flexing your creative muscles would be beneficial to your psyche.
I'm pretty excited at the idea of documenting and sharing my tips, tricks, and projects.
The main thing that is discouraging me is the process of video production.
I picked up a cheap GoPro last week, and it's...less than ideal. BUT! I knew that going in. Just like everything else you fantasize about. "Oh boy! I can't wait until I get XXX! It's gonna be SOOO great! Then I'll be able to do xxx and zzz"
Then you finally get your hands on it, and reality kicks in.

With this project, the idea of video editing, splicing, adding text effects, etc etc is not my forte. Even capturing decent lighting and non-static-icky audio is almost beyond me.

But, alas! I will try, for you
Old January 13th, 2019, 21:41   #13
GEFP

subscribed.
GEFP is offline   Reply With Quote