Murphy's Law

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I swear these cars deliberately pick the most inconvenient times to break :mad:

My better half was out running pre-holiday errands in the wagon today when the brake warning light starts flashing and beeping. Turns out it's low on fluid because the left rear caliper is leaking at the e-brake lever.

No point trying to change out the seal (if I can even source one) because the aluminum is so oxidized the existing seal practically fell out. I'll have to rush over to Perjad's in the morning to pick up a new caliper before he closes for the holidays.

Best wishes of the season to all, I'll try to distract Murphy so your cars don't break just when you need them to visit family :D

Simon

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Good luck, hopefully he'll have one.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Worst case and you can't get a caliper, take a small visegrip/locking pliers and gently pinks off the flex line for that caliper. Then secure the pliers with some zip ties so it doesn't bonce around. This should be good enough to gently drive around for a bit.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Worst case and you can't get a caliper, take a small visegrip/locking pliers and gently pinks off the flex line for that caliper. Then secure the pliers with some zip ties so it doesn't bonce around. This should be good enough to gently drive around for a bit.
That is the most ghetto thing I've ever heard. Well done :).

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Somewhat similar situation for me as well Simon, have to do my rear brakes over the holidays.

Hope you get/got your situation sorted out...Good Luck.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perjad had calipers in stock, picked one up on the way to the cottage for xmas.

Ya think if I put it under the tree with my son's name on it he might crawl under the car in the snow and cold to install it for his mom? :D

Simon

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Perjad had calipers in stock, picked one up on the way to the cottage for xmas.
Ya think if I put it under the tree with my son's name on it he might crawl under the car in the snow and cold to install it for his mom? :D
Simon
Better than a lump of coal Simon.:D

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I once brought a car home to find it had sheet metal screw threaded into the end of the line.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Speaking of ghetto, the leaky caliper left a nice puddle while parked overnight and I didn't want it to drain the whole system while the car sat over the holidays, so I pulled the e-brake lever and the bad seal, slathered the seal with Goop, and stuffed it back on.

Worked like a charm, didn't loose a drop between Xmas and New Year.

Simon