First Test Drive Article - the 2012 VW Passat TDI

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
ya, maybe us stick drivers should just move to another planet.....we can call it stick-land. i predict they sell under 10% sticks in the new passat back on topic....
I'm sure that's accurate and pretty much was the case for the B6 Passat; in Canada, unlike the US, manual was offered across the 2.0T trim lines (but not the 3.6), and manuals were still rare.

Dealer told me... about 10%, while Golfs and Jettas are about 50/50. I imagine GTIs might be a bit over 50% manuals.

Jim B PEI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5M, (2010 Golf wagon DSG GONE, replaced by a 2014 Subaru Forester)
I drive a 2003 5 speed Jetta TDI wagon, and a 2010 Golf wagon (Jetta Sportswagon to Americans) TDI with the DSG.

The DSG was not because it was wanted per se, but it was on the lot available to buy, and there were no 6 speeds there at the time in a wagon. I "get" the DSG after a bit of driving, and I'd never consider it an "automatic". I even like it for what it is.

Still, I prefer to drive a manual no matter how heavy the traffic, or how deep the snow and ice. The low RPM grunt of a TDI trumps the usual drawbacks of a manual in heavy traffic.

BTW, Rimouski to where-ever in a midwinter blizzard with coastal effect from the St-Lawrence or Atlantic sounds like my kinda drive. BTDT, and many other similar trips.

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
Well, as good as the DSG is, I simply can't bring myself to call it a manual because it can shift all by itself. Manual to me means some form of human intervention.

I prefer to call it an automated mechanical gearbox (as opposed to hydraulic like a "normal" automatic).

I've driven DSGs and I definitely prefer it to a "slushbox" automatic. But I still prefer being the weak link in the chain :D
Well said! :p

A DSG (and other transmissions of that ilk) is, by definition, an Automatic Transmission with a Semi-Automatic mode. Fortunately for us the English language is exceedingly good at naming and describing physical properties of things, and nowhere in any dictionary or lexicon will you ever-ever find a definition that supports a DSG as being called a "Manual Transmission."

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
I was one of those. Took me 9 hours to get home that night (8 hours to go 10 miles, 1 hour for the remaining 15), usually only takes 50 minutes. I saw people walking up and down the road carrying gas cans. My TDI's fuel gauge barely moved, though. :cool: The only thing I had to stop for was to pee.
Sappington huh? I'm descended from a long line of Sappingtons and can trace them back through the town of Sappington, MO (now part of greater Saint Louis). Me thinks we may be related. :)

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Nope, sorry, DSG = Automatic/Autotragic transmission
You can call it whatever makes you feel good, doesn't make it so or correct.

From Wiki:

In simple terms, it is two separate manual gearboxes (and clutches), contained within one housing, and working as one unit. .............. and eliminates the torque converter of a conventional epicyclic automatic transmission.

The only difference between a DSG is the "two" gearboxes and the computer. In mechanical operation they are identical. Clutch, gears, same. The mechatronic "brain" is the only real difference.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
and there are various other manufacturers over here offering electronically shifted manuals- the Peugeot/Citroen variant is quite literally a manual 'box with three motorised actuators on- one to drive the clutch and two for the shifting.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

From Wiki:

In simple terms, it is two separate manual gearboxes (and clutches), contained within one housing, and working as one unit. .............. and eliminates the torque converter of a conventional epicyclic automatic transmission.

The only difference between a DSG is the "two" gearboxes and the computer. In mechanical operation they are identical. Clutch, gears, same. The mechatronic "brain" is the only real difference.
VW's website calls it an automatic transmission --- so that is the official answer. I am not exactly sure why it matters so much :confused: to so many people who chose an automatic for whatever reason. If you want an automatic, buy it. It's your car, do what you want. No one else's opinion should matter.

Personally, I prefer the manual tranny. I would not buy a used automatic tranny diesel dub for myself and I would not pay the penalty of spending an additional $1(k) up front (to buy it new), and then $500ish every 40(k) miles to service it. Your purchase choice has no perceivable impact on me. Drive more, complain less ........

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
do you agree it's rather different to a normal automatic?

/or put another way, please point out the torque converter in a DSG.
What part of the definition of "Automatic" specifies a torque converter. Fact of life, if a transmission can "automatically" shift for itself, then by definition it's an "Automatic". Arguing the point is silly.

Apparently much more correct than Wikipedia.

From Wiki:

Now, if the above said, "two separate mechanical gearboxes" then you'd get no argument from me.

Hence the fact that the DSG is an "Automatic" transmission in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
......... If you want an automatic, buy it. It's your car, do what you want. No one else's opinion should matter.

Personally, I prefer the manual tranny. I would not buy a used automatic tranny diesel dub for myself and I would not pay the penalty of spending an additional $1(k) up front (to buy it new), and then $500ish every 40(k) miles to service it. Your purchase choice has no perceivable impact on me. Drive more, complain less ........
Couldn't agree more, buy what you want drive what you want. Same goes for the "wah, wah, wah my ba-gina hurts VW doesn't make the configuration I want" posts - don't like the car, don't like the configuration......buy something else & STFU :D

FWIW - I'd likely buy the manual as the big hole in the roof is worthless to me (too extreme temps, hot or cold.....little in the middle) AND I own a smartphone = nav gets me nothing other than the need for expensive maps down the road :D

But really it's a forum, we're all just yakking about cars :)

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Well...moving to try to get this thread back on topic...I am ordering my 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium fully loaded next Tuesday. It may take about 60 - 75 days or so to get but I am looking forward to receiving the car:D

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
You can ONLY get a manual with the base "SE" package. All other packages only come with a DSG.

Options are the following:

TDI SE - 6 speed manual (MSRP $25,995)
TDI SE w/Sunroof - DSG (MSRP $27,895)
TDI SE w/Sunroof & NAV - DSG (MSRP $29,495)
TDI SEL Premium - DSG (MSRP $32,195)

SEL Premium comes with the following: power tilt & sliding sunroof, electric power steering, 18" wheels, protective body side moulding with chrome accents, MDI with iPod cable. front fog lights with corner lights, leather seating surfaces, power front seats with drivers side memory, comfort sport seats, rear seat pass through, power lumbar support for front seats, HomeLink, central locking with KESSY smart key, footwell lighting, power heatable exterior side mirrors with memory recall, remote engine start, front & rear carpeted mats, RNS 510 Navigation system with FENDER premium sound system.

I hope this helps and can't wait to get the car:D:D:D

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Sounds great! You'll have to give us all a full report once you get it and have a chance to drive it for a while. I had totally missed the no manual available on the TDI. I was just jossing about the transmission since it became such a big part of this thread. I like both transmissions. I tend to prefer a manual though my wife doesn't drive a manual and so we have ended up getting a automatic on the last two TDIs.

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
Sounds great! You'll have to give us all a full report once you get it and have a chance to drive it for a while. I had totally missed the no manual available on the TDI. I was just jossing about the transmission since it became such a big part of this thread. I like both transmissions. I tend to prefer a manual though my wife doesn't drive a manual and so we have ended up getting a automatic on the last two TDIs.
If you opt for a new Passat SE TDI, you can in fact order a Manual transmission; not sure if you caught that in the post above yours or not.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Any news on what the Canadian options will be?
Quote:

Additionally, four levels of trim are offered, starting with Trendline, moving up to Trendline+ (alloy wheels, heated seats), then Comfortline and Highline. Trendline is only available on vehicles equipped with the 2.5-litre engine. Standard equipment includes a 60/40 split-folding rear seatbacks, 16-inch steel wheels, analog clock, automatic headlights, Bluetooth connectivity, “Climatronic” dual-zone climate control, digital compass, leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel, front centre armrest, multifunction trip computer, power and heated mirrors, and cruise control. Options like navigation, alloy wheels, power seats, Fender premium audio, sunroof and leather interior are available on select models depending on the trim level.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You can ONLY get a manual with the base "SE" package. All other packages only come with a DSG.

Options are the following:

TDI SE - 6 speed manual (MSRP $25,995)
TDI SE w/Sunroof - DSG (MSRP $27,895)
TDI SE w/Sunroof & NAV - DSG (MSRP $29,495)
TDI SEL Premium - DSG (MSRP $32,195)

SEL Premium comes with the following: power tilt & sliding sunroof, electric power steering, 18" wheels, protective body side moulding with chrome accents, MDI with iPod cable. front fog lights with corner lights, leather seating surfaces, power front seats with drivers side memory, comfort sport seats, rear seat pass through, power lumbar support for front seats, HomeLink, central locking with KESSY smart key, footwell lighting, power heatable exterior side mirrors with memory recall, remote engine start, front & rear carpeted mats, RNS 510 Navigation system with FENDER premium sound system.

I hope this helps and can't wait to get the car:D:D:D
I thought I saw where the SEL had a full power passenger seat too. Or maybe that was just wishful thinking.

Opps, reread your post and see "power front seats with drivers side memory"

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Quote:

Additionally, four levels of trim are offered, starting with Trendline, moving up to Trendline+ (alloy wheels, heated seats), then Comfortline and Highline. Trendline is only available on vehicles equipped with the 2.5-litre engine. Standard equipment includes a 60/40 split-folding rear seatbacks, 16-inch steel wheels, analog clock, automatic headlights, Bluetooth connectivity, “Climatronic” dual-zone climate control, digital compass, leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel, front centre armrest, multifunction trip computer, power and heated mirrors, and cruise control. Options like navigation, alloy wheels, power seats, Fender premium audio, sunroof and leather interior are available on select models depending on the trim level.
I also discovered on myturbodiesel.com that the manual gearbox will be offered across the TDI trim range. Which is great news for us up North :)

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I thought I saw where the SEL had a full power passenger seat too. Or maybe that was just wishful thinking.
It does...I stated power front seats with drivers side memory:)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
They have two transverse-engine 7-speed DSGs: One with dry clutches, one with wet clutches. The dry-clutch 7-speed DSG is only combined with engines that are not available in North America: 1.2 TSI, 1.4, 1.4 TSI, 1.8 TSI, 1.6 TDI. The wet-clutch 7-speed is in the T5 vans, the Audi Q3 TDI, the TTRS and the RS3. Might be in the Tiguan too.
There's a 7-speed DSG for longitudinally mounted engines too, most 3.0 TDI, 3.0 TFSI and 2.0T quattro Audis use it. (A4/S4, A5/S5, A6, A7, Q5)