www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:35   #1
BioThomas
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~43 mpg
Default Scan Gauge II

I have an '06 Jetta with package 1. So I do not have a trip computer and so on.

I have been looking at http://www.scangauge.com/, but when I look at the compatiblity table, I do not find any VW, other than the Corrado listed.

So my question is whether it will work on my car. If any of you are using it on your '06 Jetta, please tell how you like it.

2006 Jetta TDI - Campanella white - 6 speed automatic w/DSG - Pkg 1
ScanGauge - Garmin c320
*** Reines Fahrvergnügen ***
My Stats
BioThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:09   #2
IBWALT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta

Bio, seems like there was a thread about this same thing a couple of months ago. I can't remember what all was said about it (scangauge) but I thought that it was an interesting piece of equiptment. I think one member even had a pic of it in his car. If I am not mistaken it was in the OBD section. You might do a search and see if you can find it.
06 Jetta TDI pkg #2
Platinum Gray DSG RC-1
VAG-Com
IBWALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 15:30   #3
bobjackson

I have one. It works great. Out of the box it will read optismistic on mpg, but there is an adjustment when you fill up. I now have this factor set at +11.4% and on my last take pen and paper was 50.0 vs 50.3 on the gauge.

I have it mounted with the supplied velcro on the steering wheel column, and since it also displays a correct mph vs the speedo which is off, I have found that I generally base by speed and rpm off of it and not the factory cluster.

you can run the wire basically tucked in under the dash and steering wheel column and the cable is very discrete this way

it also has a user adjustable backlight which can be adjusted to a blue hue that is sort of similiar to that displayed by the dash.

In all, I would highly recommend it. It gives a lot more potential information then the computer in package 2 does, and you don't have to buy leather to get it. I have found that I have adjusted my driving style fairly significanty with it.
bobjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 19:59   #4
azbioguy

I have the ScanGauge II also. Like bobjackson's, mine was optimistic, but after the calibration it was only .1MPG off compared to my pen and paper calculations.

Here's mine mounted in my 06 Jetta at night:

Old July 4th, 2006, 20:05   #5
sippinoil

Does the Scangauge show boost pressure as well? I saw that it listed manifold pressure as one of the readings, does this work on the TDI??

Thanks!
Old July 4th, 2006, 23:32   #6
azbioguy

The boost readings work fine on the TDI. The only problem is that the display doesn't update fast enough to show you rapid changes, such as the boost spike during acceleration. It's nice to see what the car is making though when you are cruising down the road.
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:36   #7
BioThomas
Veteran Member

How about this ? I've read in the owner's manual that one can send extended codes to the engine computer. If I wanted to change certain behaviors, such as timing, or what ever, would I be able to look up what the code is and then send it to the computer with scangauge ?

If so, has anybody succesfully done it yet ?

ScanGauge - Garmin c320
My Stats
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:41   #8
abarns
Veteran Member

Hmm... going to have to get one of those... can some folks post some pictures of their installs? Bobjackson especially, I'm thinking of mounting it on the column.
abarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:09   #9
Mark@MaloneTuning

I too would like to see various daylight installation pictures.. this stuff sounds interesting!

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Mark@MaloneTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 19:33   #10
Mark@MaloneTuning

A little off topic seeing as I'm currently the only Canadian poster in this thread; is there any way to switch from imperial units to metric units? I.e. show km/h instead of mph, and litres instead of gallons. The ScanGaugeII manual and the FAQ page does not answer this. azbioguy or bobjackson?

edit: My mistake, it's actually in the Adobe PDF manual - I initially tried searching for the answer by using search keywords "metric," "imperial," and "litre" with no matches. Turns out it's really there on page 6, after some manual reading.

ScanGauge II recently replied to my email within 1 hour of me sending them a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanGauge's email
Mark,

The units of measure can be independently selected between Miles/Km, Gallons/Liters, Celcius/Fahrenheit, and PSI/KPA.

If you choose Km and Liters, fuel economy is reported as liters/100Km (LHK).

Ron
I really like the independant selection, i.e. I can leave it as MPG while I set mileage/speed to read km/h separately.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Mark@MaloneTuning; September 2nd, 2006 at 14:10.
Mark@MaloneTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 19:44   #11
BioThomas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcomm
A little off topic seeing as I'm currently the only Canadian poster in this thread; is there any way to switch from imperial units to metric units? I.e. show km/h instead of mph, and litres instead of gallons. The ScanGaugeII manual and the FAQ page does not answer this. azbioguy or bobjackson?
Quadcomm, yes there is. When you set up the gauge, or any time thereafter, it allows you to select the units of measure. You can select liter, or gallons, etc. But I would encourage you to go to http://www.scangauge.com and take a look at their PDF manual, which is online for you to download.

ScanGauge - Garmin c320
My Stats
Old July 6th, 2006, 19:56   #12
GetMore
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.1/42.7/38.1

BioThomas, if you look at the compatibility list it says that 1996-2000 and 2004-2007 it works on all vehicles. 2001-2003 Mercedes are not compatible.
Old July 7th, 2006, 19:15   #13
BioThomas
Veteran Member

Default Sent Email to Tech Support

I asked about the USB interface and here is the reply I received from Ron:
Quote:
The interface is a unit with memory and processing power itself. It has a cable that plugs into the unused connector on the ScanGaugeII and another that plugs into a USB port on a computer. They don't have to both be plugged in at the same time.

The interface will use SD Cards for data storage. You can plug it inot the ScanGauge for logging and for other upload/download tasks. It can be removed from the vehicle and taken to a computer for data transfers.

The ScanGaugeII has all the hardware needed for the interface, but will need an upgrade of its program to use it. The Upgrade is free when you purchase the interface.

Price has not been finalized yet. It is expected to be under $100. This will also include the software for a windows based computer.

The ScanGaugeII is compatible with the 06 Jetta TDI. It won't show fuel pressure. On some TDI's the ignition timing it reports is actually injector timing. Not all TDIs report this and I have not been able to figure out which ones do based on year or model.

Ron

ScanGauge - Garmin c320
My Stats
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:42   #14
BioThomas
Veteran Member

Default Just got mine

I just got my scangauge, hooked it up, and it appears to work just fine. Won't be able to play more with it yet, as I'll have to do some work for the office here momentarily. I can't wait testing it out.

Someone asked about where the connector is. It is, as was pointed out somewhere here on the board, under the driver dash, sort of to the left, when looking forward. It is kind of purplish in color. Real easy to find.

ScanGauge - Garmin c320
My Stats
Old July 9th, 2006, 18:59   #15
BioThomas
Veteran Member

Default Fuel Tank Size

What do you guys set your fuel tank size to ? I know that the A5 has 14.5 gal, at least that's what all the literature says. However, Scangauge lets us only use 14 or 15 gal. I set mine to 15.

Then I noticed that 14.5 gal works out to 55 liter(s=US spelling). So, I tried the size setting at 55 l. However, miles/liter looks kind of awkward. May be I should go all mertric, since I grew up with metric.

What do you all use?

ScanGauge - Garmin c320
My Stats