West Michigan GTG October 22, 2005

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Saturday, October 22, 10am. (I have to work till 2am and need some sleep).

I've changed the date from the 15th to the 22nd as to not interfere with other GTG's!!!

Address:
1348 Taylor Ave N
Grand Rapids, MI 49505

I'm going to have a small grill and will provide burgers and chips. I'll provide bottle water as well. If you want anything else, or feel like bringing anything else, bring it.

This is going to be more of a social than a working gtg. But, if anyone would like to do minor things, they can be done. I have tools to do new brakes, bleed brake lines, change nozzles, VAG-COM (the real thing, not a knock off), ventectomy, coolant migration stuff, 5 brake light mod, oil changes (bring your own oil and filter), and a lot of other minor things that people think they might want to do. If we pile cars in right, we should be able to fit 5-6 cars in at a time.

I will also have a replacement security led (winner chooses color from selection) that I will be raffling off.

E-mail me or post here if you think that you will be attending so that I can get a head count and if there is anything that you think you want to work on. But, feel free to show up if you don't post here.
All are welcome!!!

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
West Michigan GTG October 15, 2005

Sounds good to me. I am interested in the social thing and the food. I would be coming from Chicago and i can bring some German food. I do have a place to stay up in Rockford, MI. What time would it start on Saturday.

Lots of BioDiesel at the retail pump in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Yee Hah!

Thanks
Deming
2005 Passat TDI Wagon

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
NEW DATE! October 22, 2005

Chicago... I love it there. Well, I was only there once. I went to Navy Pier and Museum of Science and Industry. Both were very nice. I wish I would have been able to see more.

10:00 am is the start time.

I forgot about the bio-diesel that is very close by. We could do a little drive over to the Crystal Flash on Alpine (not far at all from the shop) and fill up on some Bio. Maybe I can get a rep to come out while we're there and talk to us about it and give some good info on it.

I'm liking how this is panning out. Hopefully, more people will chime in.
If not, too bad for them! Super cheap bowling for just 3 of us.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
I believe I can be there as well (at least for the early part of the day) and I can bring tools & vag-com. Thanks for offering your place up spud!

Kirk

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
I just looked at the map closer, isn't your shop building real close to where Triangle & Associates (contractors) used to be located?

Just curious.

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Yes, actually, they were just down the street. Across the street is Display pack. Kiddie corner is the OLD GR water treatment plant (which is being renovated into an office building and looks really cool).

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
What is the best way to come over ro GR Mich?
Ferry from Milwaukke across Lake Mich or to drive South around the bottom of Lake Mich and then up to Grand Rapids.

Yes, there is more Bio Diesel in retail pumps in Grand Rapids than anywhere else in the U.S. Amazing.

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I think that the ferry is the way to go.. if the waters aren't bad and you have the money for it. It would probably be cheaper to just drive around but will take more time. The ferry is about 2 hours (I think) and it's like $100+ ($53 for the car and $47 per person). So, if you have the money, take the ferry.

I thought that you were coming from chicago? If you are, just drive up. IMO, I wouldn't waste the money for the ferry. I think it's only 4-5 hours drive from chicago.

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
I'll show up, just let me know if you need anything.
Crystal Flash is really close, I go by there everytime I fill up.. About every 3 weeks.
I'm gonna do the 5-light mod this weekend.. So I will have to find something else to do in October.. I'm sure I can find something..

\/\/

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Is there going to be any GTGs in michigan where they will be selling RCs at discount price... i would love to have that done
If tradition repeats Memorial Day weekend next year RC should be back in MI at a GTG.

If you can't wait that long go to the RC / Rally VW chip tuning GTG in Ohio THIS SATURDAY! Check it out Here!

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
I mentioned something to Jeff at Fest about the Fall Mid-Michigan GTG. He sounded interested..
But we would have to check with him and his schedule.

Steve.. Been thinking that I'm gonna do the 5-Brake light mod to the wagon.. It'll take a little longer 'cause I have to cut the lens for the bulb..

BTW.. Anyone want anything from Germany? I'm leaving Sunday for 2 weeks.. Planning on stopping by a few VW dealerships/parts place for some homeland swag etc.. If the prices aren't too outrageous..

PM or e-mail me with any requests.. and NO transmissions.. It has to fit in my checked or carry-on luggage..

\/\/

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The idea of chipping is starting to grab my attention. I may contact Jeff and see if he's up to coming out. I don't know about discounts though.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The idea of chipping is starting to grab my attention.
And your signature says the following:

Sprint 520s.. That's where it ends.

I find these conflicting statements amusing for some strange reason!

You are a doomed man!
There was a time I said "I will NOT mod my car!" - Well, once I did the first mod just kept going to where it's out of control! Those who have seen my Jetta know what I mean!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I believe we had this discussion at Fest... there is no end to the ammount of mods you can do to a car.

I'm allready on that road... fortunely the handbrake is still set so I'm not moving too fast

-J

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Anyone know of a good restauarant in Grand Rapids?

I'm thinking Brann's! It's a local place and they have some GREAT food. Maybe the one in Jenison so all us TDIers can drive in a line like the rice burners.
There is one on Leonard that's not far from the shop.. I don't know how many people they can accomadate though. Depends on how many people show up. I think the one in Jenison has a bigger place and can hold more people. I'll look in to it.

And I know I said that I wasn't going to mod my car any more. But, the idea of having a quick car with good fuel mileage is starting to intrigue me.
And that statement is contradicting as well. You can't have a quick car AND good fuel mileage.. lets not go there. That's not what this thread is about.

I have blown the LED on the replacement one that I was going to give away. So, I'll still be offering it, but, in colors that I can find at Radio Shack (winner gets to pick the color). I thought that I had some VW blue LED's floating around here, but I can't seem to find them.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I believe we had this discussion at Fest... there is no end to the ammount of mods you can do to a car.

I'm allready on that road... fortunely the handbrake is still set so I'm not moving too fast

-J
Uh - you may want to ease off on the hand brake there otherwise the next mod will be replacing brake pads! LOL!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
And I know I said that I wasn't going to mod my car any more. But, the idea of having a quick car with good fuel mileage is starting to intrigue me.
And that statement is contradicting as well. You can't have a quick car AND good fuel mileage.. lets not go there. That's not what this thread is about.
Well, I'm chipped with injectors and don't drive for economy and still get at least 45 mpg while having a quick TDI! But you're right, let's save this topic for the GTG so we have something to jaw about.....

Don't worry about the restaurant - let's see who shows up and what we all get into and feel like then. Good idea though to see how many of us a few places can accomodate ahead of time just in case.....

Anyways, this is sounding like a great GTG shaping up! Looking forward to it as it's on my calendar now!

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Oct 22nd huh? I'll try and make it....what kinds of work needs to be done?

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
No one has posted any work yet. But, the GTG is more than a month away. A lot can happen in a month.

So far, it's just a social.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
Great! I'll be there being I do live in Grand Rapids.

Anybody wanna help me get the vent mod done? I can't get the thing to come off

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
We could meet up and I can give you a hand, or you can wait for the GTG.. your call. I had some issues getting mine out as well. lrpavlo really is the expert though.

I've given a lot of my blood to my car. It's good to know that other people are making the same sacrifice.