www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 12th, 2019, 12:18   #1
trae
Veteran Member
Default Should I buy the Touareg?

Hello to all. My last Diesel, an MB ML350 Bluetec, just totaled itself by blowing up its engine. When I bought it had wanted a Touareg, but they were scarce to come by due to the recall, and out of my price range.

Am seriously considering the 3.0 Touareg and test drove a 2013 with 56k miles last night. Now they are in my price range. Solid. It has a warranty on some items through 100k and an additional 4 year/48k warranty on exhaust/drievtrain/turbo/other items resulting from the recall, which warranty kicked in in October 2018.

So things look good from the warranty perspective. I feel I got burned with the Benz, as of course after I bought it, I found out on the MB forums that the Bluetec 3.0 would occasionally blow up for no apparent reason. Mine threw a rod through the oil pan at 102k which should never happen with a Benz other than due to a manufacturing or assembly defect. But, my mechanic advised he knew of a few instances of this. He strongly steered me away from BMW X5s, so as far as diesel SUVs that leaves the Touareg.

I appreciate any comments from 3.0 TDi Touareg owners as to their experiences and comments regarding any issues with these vehices. Long ago I used to drive B3/B4 TDis and apart from window regulators, they were tough as a bag of hammers. That was my impression of Mercedes diesels also until my ML350 self destructed despite impeccable maintenance. We really liked the Touareg and want something diesel that will last, Any/all comments appreciated.

Thanks,

T.Rae
Old January 12th, 2019, 13:35   #2
tdiman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trae View Post
Hello to all. My last Diesel, an MB ML350 Bluetec, just totaled itself by blowing up its engine. When I bought it had wanted a Touareg, but they were scarce to come by due to the recall, and out of my price range.

Am seriously considering the 3.0 Touareg and test drove a 2013 with 56k miles last night. Now they are in my price range. Solid. It has a warranty on some items through 100k and an additional 4 year/48k warranty on exhaust/drievtrain/turbo/other items resulting from the recall, which warranty kicked in in October 2018.

So things look good from the warranty perspective. I feel I got burned with the Benz, as of course after I bought it, I found out on the MB forums that the Bluetec 3.0 would occasionally blow up for no apparent reason. Mine threw a rod through the oil pan at 102k which should never happen with a Benz other than due to a manufacturing or assembly defect. But, my mechanic advised he knew of a few instances of this. He strongly steered me away from BMW X5s, so as far as diesel SUVs that leaves the Touareg.

I appreciate any comments from 3.0 TDi Touareg owners as to their experiences and comments regarding any issues with these vehices. Long ago I used to drive B3/B4 TDis and apart from window regulators, they were tough as a bag of hammers. That was my impression of Mercedes diesels also until my ML350 self destructed despite impeccable maintenance. We really liked the Touareg and want something diesel that will last, Any/all comments appreciated.

Thanks,

T.Rae

Very interested I’m also looking to replace a suv with a diesel have been looking at ml and gl Benz diesel what years have this problem? And this must be why there cheap ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 15:59   #3
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Loved my Treg. Other than it eating tires, it was a great car.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 17:00   #4
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I've seen a couple OM642s grenade themselves. One in an ML cracked a piston. And another threw a rod. So it does happen, even though those generally are good engines, oil cooler leaks notwithstanding.

The BMW X5 seems pretty robust and an inexpensive option. BMWs can be expensive as they age, but that's also true of the Touareg. Seems you could do well with either.
Old January 12th, 2019, 21:38   #5
Tom_B
Veteran Member

Got good service out of our first one which was sold back to VW with right at 140k miles. Our second and current one (50k miles) is doing well also, so far. If I'm not mistaken, the 3.0 TDI extended emissions warranty is the greater of 10yr/120k (whichever occurs first) from initial service and 4 yr/48k (whichever occurs first) from the emissions modification. Maybe not a huge difference for the vehicle you mention but both apply. Good luck in your search.
Old January 13th, 2019, 10:22   #6
tdiman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I've seen a couple OM642s grenade themselves. One in an ML cracked a piston. And another threw a rod. So it does happen, even though those generally are good engines, oil cooler leaks notwithstanding.

The BMW X5 seems pretty robust and an inexpensive option. BMWs can be expensive as they age, but that's also true of the Touareg. Seems you could do well with either.
BMW X5 have Open campaign I believe it’s an Tensioner pulley and no fix at this point

Old January 13th, 2019, 15:14   #7
trae
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the info. If we go diesel SUV, which is what we want/need, everything points to the Touareg. Learned after buying the Benz of occasional sudden catastrophic engine failures and then mine threw a rod 2,000 miles after the extended warranty expired. My north shore mechanic buddy who works on all things German also heard of a couple exploding Bluetecs and says to avoid the x5 like the plague due to the issues he's seen. Figured if there were any serious issues with the 3.0 Touareg it's been out long enough you guys could clue me in. So far so good.
Old January 16th, 2019, 17:05   #8
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

FWIW the X5/335d community is very strong. Similar to here, so lots of support. The Touareg community is not as strong. The M57 engine has a lot of issues with intake clogging and serpentine belt systems. The Touareg V6 has been largely problem free.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 09:00   #9
closs2sx

Default Touareg

I just traded a 2015 bmw x5 diesel msport for a new 2016 Touareg tdi. The bmw had almost 43k on it and I never had a single issue. Bmw paid for all the maintenance so I only put fuel in it. I had studded Nokians on it and it wasn't great in the snow at all compared to the 2014 audi q5 sline tdi i had with studless blizzacks on it which was the main reason for getting rid of it. Don't get me wrong it was ok in the snow I just wasn't impressed with it. I drive a 2017 duramax diesel and in 2wd i can get around better than my wife could with the bmw so Im hoping the Touareg will be better. With the big storm about to hit the northeast i hope to be pleasantly surprised. I think bmws in general once they get over 100k its time to move on or it will start to nickel and dime you but if you bought it new and kept it until 100k you would be fine. I loved the bmw just didn't like the way it performed in the snow but on dry roads in sport plus mode with the summer tires on it was an animal and I miss that already. My Wife never pushes a car through a corner so she won't know the difference at all. Resale value sucked on the bmw which surprised me considering its an suv that gets awesome fuel mileage in a must have suv world.
2016 Skidoo xrs 800,2018 CanAm Maverick X3XRC Turbo

Last edited by closs2sx; January 17th, 2019 at 09:05.
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2019, 11:17   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Resale on any luxury or near luxury vehicle is going to be poor. Most used buyers are afraid of ownership costs outside of warranty, which drives values way down, for both gas and diesel vehicles.
Old January 17th, 2019, 16:07   #11
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
I just traded a 2015 bmw x5 diesel msport for a new 2016 Touareg tdi. The bmw had almost 43k on it and I never had a single issue. Bmw paid for all the maintenance so I only put fuel in it. I had studded Nokians on it and it wasn't great in the snow at all compared to the 2014 audi q5 sline tdi i had with studless blizzacks on it which was the main reason for getting rid of it. Don't get me wrong it was ok in the snow I just wasn't impressed with it. I drive a 2017 duramax diesel and in 2wd i can get around better than my wife could with the bmw so Im hoping the Touareg will be better. With the big storm about to hit the northeast i hope to be pleasantly surprised. I think bmws in general once they get over 100k its time to move on or it will start to nickel and dime you but if you bought it new and kept it until 100k you would be fine. I loved the bmw just didn't like the way it performed in the snow but on dry roads in sport plus mode with the summer tires on it was an animal and I miss that already. My Wife never pushes a car through a corner so she won't know the difference at all. Resale value sucked on the bmw which surprised me considering its an suv that gets awesome fuel mileage in a must have suv world.

The Touareg is a monster in snow. Absolutely rock solid.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 06:47   #12
Radman
Veteran Member

The Touareg is good in snow. But I have to say that my Audi A6 TDI is superior from an all wheel drive standpoint. The Quattro system is phenomenal!
Old January 18th, 2019, 08:17   #13
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
FWIW the X5/335d community is very strong. Similar to here, so lots of support. The Touareg community is not as strong. The M57 engine has a lot of issues with intake clogging and serpentine belt systems. The Touareg V6 has been largely problem free.

Our Treg is sitting at a healthy 145k miles. Its been well maintained and so far has only required brakes, tires and fluids according to the full service records that I have for it. The engine has been great. Our emissions warranty will run through 175k or so. But I could see us owning this vehicle to 200k or higher. The resale is going to be lousy anyway.

I've been meaning to write a post about the brakes because I've read about how these cars "eat brakes". Not on ours. The front brakes lasted 100k miles and the rears went to 140k. It does eat tires though.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 10:07   #14
tdiman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Our Treg is sitting at a healthy 145k miles. Its been well maintained and so far has only required brakes, tires and fluids according to the full service records that I have for it. The engine has been great. Our emissions warranty will run through 175k or so. But I could see us owning this vehicle to 200k or higher. The resale is going to be lousy anyway.

I've been meaning to write a post about the brakes because I've read about how these cars "eat brakes". Not on ours. The front brakes lasted 100k miles and the rears went to 140k. It does eat tires though.

I’m looking for a Toureg tdi at the moment I’m wanting two a v 10 2008 and a 2015 v 6 to add to my collection of diesels I’m not going to worry about value of theses unit all I care is they are diesels and they will last me for the rest of my life probably will never buy another Volkswagen product once they move to EV also going to buy a golf wagon tdi already have a tdi Jett’s sel 2015

Old January 20th, 2019, 08:43   #15
MTB_TDI

I haven’t had a problem with either of my Touareg TDIs. They both have been awesome in the snow too, I have studless snows on mine for the winter.

Go to clubtouareg.com if you get one and do the TCM tune that Yorktreg does. It is way worth it. He even does an ECU tune to the old VW tune pre-fix so you can have what we all bought originally. Well worth it.

Here is the monster thread on it. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...280754-46.html
MTB_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote