www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 16th, 2019, 09:50   #1
ricefarm

Default Vag com

1st off if this question has been answered already my apologies, I can not find the answer searching.
2nd if this is in the spot please move to where it needs to be.

I am wondering about vag-com and what it can and can not tell you. Can it tell if your veritable cam sensor is working, does it graph you cranking till start values? Just what exactly can this program tell you. Is there a book to help with what codes to enter so you get the readout needed?
ricefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:06   #2
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

A better place for this would be here- OBD

Vagcom (older) or VCDS is the best diagnostic tool for the money. They do sell a "book".
Can't say I've seen a definitive list, but look at RossTech.com for more info. Perhaps even contact them with your questions, they're very helpful.
Most of us have learned to use it in small bites. Basically it reads most things managed by the ECU, it's not comprehensive and no replacement for mechanical knowledge. You do need a device for certain functions.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2019, 15:41   #3
ricefarm

BobnOH Thanks for the information, I'll take a look at Ross tech and see what I can find.
ricefarm is offline   Reply With Quote