www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 9th, 2019, 14:32   #16
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

the ONLY correct way to permanently and properly fix a headlamp lenses is to sand it down with a sanding kit, then buff, polish, degreese, claybar, then mask off, and do 2 coats of clear coat, then a wet sand at 2500 grit, then 2 more coats of clear and another sanding, Claybar, then a nice coat of a quality ceramic paint protector

any other is not going to last and will hase up again with time and sun exposure.

if your trying to sell the car, just rub the hell out of it with toothpaste until its nice
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 14:49   #17
hey_allen
Veteran Member

I hate to sound like a shill, but I got 1.5 years out of a $30 Walmart polishing job.

The auto center at the one near my home had a Mk4 headlight sitting on the counter, half polished, so I had to give it a try. ~1 hour to have the work done, and I got to get some shopping done while waiting.

It's just in the last month or so started to show a little hazing, so I'm counting it money reasonably well spent.
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 06:52   #18
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_allen View Post
I hate to sound like a shill, but I got 1.5 years out of a $30 Walmart polishing job.

The auto center at the one near my home had a Mk4 headlight sitting on the counter, half polished, so I had to give it a try. ~1 hour to have the work done, and I got to get some shopping done while waiting.

It's just in the last month or so started to show a little hazing, so I'm counting it money reasonably well spent.
Sanding kit, $12
Buffing compound $5
some microfiber rags $1
Claybar $20 (If you car enough to do the head lights, you care enough to do a good cleaning so im not counting this as it should be in your car cleaning kit)!
Clear coat $4
Ceramic Paint layer $15

So for about $40 bucks, you can do it once and NEVER do it again!
And you have some nice materials to put on your wheels or your car, that ceramic coating is EPIC.

If your not willing to spend a full day on your week end on it, yea $30 was well spent but it can be done better, at least you didnt use toothpaste!
Old January 10th, 2019, 18:40   #19
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
the ONLY correct way to permanently and properly fix a headlamp lenses is to sand it down with a sanding kit, then buff, polish, degreese, claybar, then mask off, and do 2 coats of clear coat, then a wet sand at 2500 grit, then 2 more coats of clear and another sanding, Claybar, then a nice coat of a quality ceramic paint protector

any other is not going to last and will hase up again with time and sun exposure.
^^^^ yes.

I've polished the headlights on a few vehicles, So far, I've been lucky they were the flat style, without the little dribbles, so they were easy to sand down.

The issue is that the top layer of the plastic lens becomes...junk. Most of it is oxidation as UV rays affect the plastic, but some of it is also dirt, grime, sand, bugs, baked on as you drive when the lens is hot from the light.

The bug spray/deet is a cool science trick, but it doesn't work. I guess technically it kinda does, but barely. I remember a shady guy standing out front of Advance Auto holding an unmarked can (bug spray with label torn off) approaching people saying "I'll clean your lights for $10". He even 'gave me a sample' and wiped his rag down the middle of my light... Nice of him to leave me with a streak like that.
2 days later, streak looked the same as it did before.
the bug spray 'melts' off the top layer, but leaves it vulnerable so it oxidized even more rapidly.

I picked up a set of lights for a Tacoma I owned. They weren't badly oxidized in the typical cloudy way, but they had this horizontal dis-colored streak about 2/3 down, where I suppose the heat is most intense. I sanded it down, polished it, and did clear coat. These are a few pictures of the process

Original condition. Got that streak, and some spiderweb pattern in the lens, also kind of an orange peel pattern

This is about half way through. I started very fine steel wool, then 500 grit, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500.

This is the finished product, before and after. Both lights started in similar condition.

Last edited by 2000alhVW; January 10th, 2019 at 18:50.
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 19:02   #20
BamaB4S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/47/52 mpg

Wipe New is $10 on Amazon and has thousands of 4/5 star reviews. Almost 2 years later the lens covers are still crystal clear. Take your time with the abrasive pad before applying the product with nitrile gloves. Once it dries seal it with a high quality wax.
BamaB4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 20:00   #21
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaB4S View Post
Wipe New is $10 on Amazon and has thousands of 4/5 star reviews. Almost 2 years later the lens covers are still crystal clear. Take your time with the abrasive pad before applying the product with nitrile gloves. Once it dries seal it with a high quality wax.
amazon reviews are from people who have 10 minutes of time with the product, You NEVER focus on the good reviews for anything, ONLY the bad reviews.
Still cheep for a one time use of sanding pads, id buy it fro the sanding pads only, Skip the wax, Ceramic coating. You have no idea how EPIC this stuff is.
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:44   #22
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

After a couple bad experiences, plus the social impact of the company, I no longer purchase from Amazon. And internet reviews are generally worse than useless.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:21   #23
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

On the other hand I have had pretty good experiences with Amazon. Good service, good return policy, excellent products to choose from, very fast delivery. I leave the social impact of the company to those who work there. If you don't like it effect change or leave. I am just glad they chose not to come to Austin! They aren't always the cheapest though and it pays to shop around before buying anything. I look for reviews in other places than the place selling the item.
Old January 11th, 2019, 14:25   #24
KLXD
Veteran Member

What'd they do that K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, etc didn't do. Not to mention what ebay's become.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 12:15   #25
Fahrvegnugen
Veteran Member

Scale of the social impact is the difference. As the effectiveness of a distribution increases the impact worsens. When there is just one supplier left, dropping our desires down with drones, will the only hope left be as an employed engineer or one per-center? Belonging to wealth, is it really the highest of humanity?

If someone is living in Seattle now...is there an alternative to working for amazon? The cost of living there doesn’t leave many choices. Want something affordable not made in China with quality in mind? Hmm...Responsible economics could include regional and social well being. That would require laws and oversight, since we appear to move farther away from such responsibility.

I tend to avoid amazon and Walmart, when there’s a choice, but sometimes question my sanity.
Fahrvegnugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 12:43   #26
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvegnugen View Post
Scale of the social impact is the difference. As the effectiveness of a distribution increases the impact worsens. When there is just one supplier left, dropping our desires down with drones, will the only hope left be as an employed engineer or one per-center? Belonging to wealth, is it really the highest of humanity?
If someone is living in Seattle now...is there an alternative to working for amazon? The cost of living there doesn’t leave many choices. Want something affordable not made in China with quality in mind? Hmm...Responsible economics could include regional and social well being. That would require laws and oversight, since we appear to move farther away from such responsibility.
I tend to avoid amazon and Walmart, when there’s a choice, but sometimes question my sanity.
LOL WUT?
a bit off the rocker there, but i get what your sayin
SO BACK ON TOPIC
toothpaste is the best "poor mans" way to do this job.
2.00 at any local store, 1.50 at Walmart and i go buy a 6 pack at amazon of the cinnamon flavored crack toothpaste on amazon for about $4 bucks.