www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old December 31st, 2018, 18:52   #1
thayguy

TDI(s): none yet
Default Speedo/odometer not working

Iv been looking at a few cars and they say the speedo or the odometer has stopped working. Is this a easy fix or better off to tuck behind a truck and pray they arenít speeding and guess the miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 14:29   #2
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Not very common on newer cars as it's all electronically measured.
Most current vehicles have 4 wheel speed sensors. For ABS, traction control, or other purposes. Most German stuff going back 20 years has used multiple wheel speed sensors.

Speedometers have not been cable driven in a long time.

I would be at least mildly suspicious if I went to look at a newer car where the speedometer was funky... Usually more than one thing has to have gone wrong to get to that point.

Either way, it should be fixed immediately. I'm not sure you could pass any inspection without a functional speedometer
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 09:28   #3
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by thayguy View Post
Iv been looking at a few cars and they say the speedo or the odometer has stopped working. Is this a easy fix or better off to tuck behind a truck and pray they arenít speeding and guess the miles?
I'm assuming that you were looking at some no name used car lots and not at a reputable dealer. Sounds to me as if they were trying to fiddle wth the odometer trying to roll it back and screwed it up!
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:58   #4
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Many years ago, I had the speedo cable break in my subie. Ordered a new cable but was told it would take 5-6 weeks. I knew that running at 2500 in 5th gear put me at about 62 mph. That was confirmed by one of the friendly Iowa State Troopers. He just flashed his lights and didn't come after me on I-80. Speed limit was still 55 at the time.

I agree with the above comments about there being something fishy going on. Best advice is to stay away from those cars.
Old January 8th, 2019, 13:08   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yeah, I'd be leery of where you are looking that you are finding all these cars.
Old January 8th, 2019, 17:42   #6
thayguy

TDI(s): none yet

Just old cheap work beater with heaters they where both offered as private sells.

thayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 11:02   #7
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by thayguy View Post
Just old cheap work beater with heaters they where both offered as private sells.
I do not know how it is in Ohio, but where I live there are tons of "private" sales and many are what are called curb siders. These are used car dealers pretending they are a private seller.

One easy way to tell, in whose name is the vehicle ownership? Is it in this private sellers name? Probably not.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote