ALH TB Job question

George56

TDI
2000 Jetta 5spd. Gone = 2010 Jetta 2014 Passat
[/IMG]I’m half way through a TB job amongst other things. I’m ready to start replacing parts and putting it back together. I got the high mileage kit from IDParts and had a question about some seals. From the picture, does anyone know what these are for? I know that the one in the Victor Reinz package is a front crank seal which I don’t plan to replace.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Cam seal (belt side/front) and vacuum pump seal??
Perhaps read thru the parts list description for the kit you bought and lay it all out per part number.

Last edited:

George56

TDI
2000 Jetta 5spd. Gone = 2010 Jetta 2014 Passat
That must be it. I had thought about comparing part numbers but there aren’t any part numbers on the bags. Looks like I have crank and cam seals for if/when they leak. I was t planning to replace them.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So, you purchased the high mileage kit with all the extra goodies and you don't plan to install all of them.

Now, is the time to do it. The Crankshaft Seal replacement will be the hardest part of the job. Without the proper tools and holding devices, it will be quite difficult to break the center bolt loose and to torque the new one. Advice is to not use an Impact Air Gun on that center bolt, loosening or tightening!

Below, is a series of pics changing the front crankshaft seal on a 1999 NB ALH engine..

Below, crankshaft center bolt with "homemade" holding bar..

Below, crankshaft center bolt with holding bar and breaker bar with cheater bar

Below, view of cheater bar from above

Below, view of old OE seal leaking (about 200k miles on it)..

Below, old seal is out (used to self-taping screws to pull the seal)

Below, new seal installed..

Hope this helps and encouraging....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
According to Idparts web site, the bolt is included with the "high mileage" kit!

The high mileage kit adds:

• Injection Pump Sprocket Bolts
  • Harmonic Balancer Bolts
  • Tensioner and Roller Studs
  • Front Crankshaft Seal and Bolt
  • Serpentine Belt Tensioner Shock or optional complete Serpentine Belt Tensioner
  • Intake Manifold Gasket & Intake Manifold Bolts (for cleaning)
  • IDParts Thermostat Replacement Kit w/ locking thermostat & housing for easy installation

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I've heard that cam seals can be somewhat of a hit or miss as to them sealing up properly. I've only done one, and, knock on wood, that seemed to go fine. I'm wondering, is the front crank seal any less finicky? (I figure that when I do the TB on the wife's car, in another 20k miles or so -about 230k miles, I would likely want to do the front crank seal [rear one was good when I did the clutch recently]).

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've done three or four front crankshaft seals, several cam seals and one rear main seal. So, far none of them have leaked.

I did the rear main seal on a 2008 EOS 2.0T gasser engine. It was an internet junk yard engine buy. The idiots pressure washing the engine rolled the seal inward on the rear main. Luckily, I noticed that the seal looked kind of strange. Anyway, the ALH TDI oil seal for the rear main is the same seal for the 2.0T gasser engine. I used 1600 sand paper and acetone to clean the sealing surface. It was two or three days later before the engine was installed and buttoned up and ready to start. So, it got the 24 hour wait time before rotating the crankshaft. (Not a requirement on the front seal.)

I'll be doing a rear crankshaft seal on an 03 Jetta with ALH engine in about two weeks. The engine has over 400k on the OE seal....... leaks a lot.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Installing seals is all about proper preparation and technique.

Common pitfalls are:

Scratching the sealing surface on removal, either with tapped screws or a removal tool.
Cocking the seal slightly on installation causing a leak.
Rolling the seal lip on install. This is especially common on the newer teflon style seals
Inadvertently unseating the garter spring on install
Seating the new seal lip on or around the previously worn seal groove on the seal surface.

If you remove the old seal cleanly, clean the mating surfaces properly, and follw proper install instructions avoiding the above, your seal will not leak - Cam, Crank, Rear main, intermediate etc.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Thanks, Windex. That alleviates a lot of anxieties.