EPIC Cross Country Road Trip

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
Hey guys,
So this is my first posting ever on TDIClub, and I plan to make this thread my log of my road trip experience. If you want to check out a car history of how I got to this point, check this out if you get a chance.
Introduction
Since my girlfriend and I are both graduating from college (I already did and she is about to), I figured now is the time to go on the road trip of a lifetime before we both start work (and to use up whatever money we have left... more on that later). We're leaving from my house in CT and that's really all that is concrete at this point. That's not to say we don't have a plan though...
Where we're going (more or less):

This is always changing, but this is more or less it. Some key points:
-Washington DC
-Nashville, TN
-New Orleans, LA
-Dallas, TX
-Roswell, NM
-Santa Fe, NM
-The Four Corners
-Grand Canyon
-Las Vegas, NV
-As close to Area 51 as we can get
-Death Valley, CA
-Los Angeles, CA
-Yosemite National Park
-Sequoia National Park (maybe)
-San Francisco, CA
-Bonneville Salt Flats
-Salt Lake City, UT
-Yellowstone National Park
-Mt. Rushmore
-Badlands National Park
-Oshkosh, WI (if the airshow is going on)
-Niagara Falls
-HOME
Quite a list! If you have more that lay more or less along our route, please suggest them! We're always looking for fun spots to stop in.
What we're taking:
Right away we start off with a challenge: the car. I have a gas guzzling 1997 Subaru legacy (23 mpg tops),

and a 99 BMW M3 (27 mpg on the highway)

That means for our 8300 mile trip that means roughly $1500 in gas costs alone. Did I mention I don't have a lot of money? To free up some cash for this whole schpeel, the M3 and the Subie have to go (PM me if you're interested in buying one of them!).
In their place I'm planning on replacing them with the new-to-me efficiency of a TDI-powered VW. I'm planning on spending around 4 to 5 grand and hope to get a 1999.5-2005 Manual-transmissioned Jetta. Once I get whatever I get, I'm going to go through it and replace everything it needs and more, starting with the timing belt and water pump. Then I'll probably go into the suspension bushings, shocks, and possibly tires+wheels. I want something efficient that's still fun to drive. Since I obviously won't get that fun out of the power, I'm planning on getting it out of a tactile suspension setup.
And that's all we have planned at the moment! I'll be posting back here with updates. Feel free to tell me what you think, what car would be the best for the trip, etc.
I love this forum... it's possibly one of the most information-packed forums on the web, bar none.

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Your first part is how we went to the TDIfest last summer in Portland, Or great trip

Well we have an '00 forrester & as BMW too but it gets 51 mpg though....... R1200RT..

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
Your first part is how we went to the TDIfest last summer in Portland, Or great trip

Well we have an '00 forrester & as BMW too but it gets 51 mpg though....... R1200RT..
Yeah we originally planned to go up to Portland and Seattle, but it's just so many freaking miles man. We need a little more cargo space than that thing! Would be fun though...

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
My suggestion: Highway 99 is not the most scenic way to see California. I would take Highway 1 and enjoy a truly spectacular coastal drive, especially because you are missing out on the coastal driving in the Pacific Northwest. This would work best if you're travelling late enough in the summer that Tioga Pass through Yosemite is open - head from LA to SF via Highway 1, then from SF to Yosemite, and exit Yosemite out the east, taking the 395 northwards towards Reno.

Also, I'd advise thinking about what you want to do in Los Angeles before visiting. Although it has a lot to offer to those who live there, it is far less accessible as a quick tourist stop than, say, San Francisco or Washington DC.

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
My suggestion: Highway 99 is not the most scenic way to see California. I would take Highway 1 and enjoy a truly spectacular coastal drive, especially because you are missing out on the coastal driving in the Pacific Northwest. This would work best if you're travelling late enough in the summer that Tioga Pass through Yosemite is open - head from LA to SF via Highway 1, then from SF to Yosemite, and exit Yosemite out the east, taking the 395 northwards towards Reno.

Also, I'd advise thinking about what you want to do in Los Angeles before visiting. Although it has a lot to offer to those who live there, it is far less accessible as a quick tourist stop than, say, San Francisco or Washington DC.
Thanks for the tips Mike! I'm actually heading to the LA area only because my brother lives there, and we'll be staying with him for a few days while hitting the san diego zoo. I've been to LA before and I agree, it's not very accessible.

I was reluctant to stay off of Highway 1 because I was afraid of it being filled with traffic lights, but if you say so we'll go for it. I would love to get more ocean views on the way...

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It's mostly open highway - it's just slow driving, because much of it is extremely windy road teetering on the edge of an oceanside cliff, and even if that doesn't bother you it'll probably bother somebody ahead of you! Many find the drive south to north to be more comfortable since you're not quite as close to the precipice. I'd take the 101 up from Santa Barbara and connect onto the 1 by San Luis Obispo, the really spectacular part is from SLO up through Big Sur to Monterey (which has a world-class aquarium, if you like that kind of thing).

If you've been to LA before you know what you'll find there, just wanted to make sure!

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
It's mostly open highway - it's just slow driving, because much of it is extremely windy road teetering on the edge of an oceanside cliff, and even if that doesn't bother you it'll probably bother somebody ahead of you! Many find the drive south to north to be more comfortable since you're not quite as close to the precipice. I'd take the 101 up from Santa Barbara and connect onto the 1 by San Luis Obispo, the really spectacular part is from SLO up through Big Sur to Monterey (which has a world-class aquarium, if you like that kind of thing).

If you've been to LA before you know what you'll find there, just wanted to make sure!
Ooooh very nice! I would LOVE to drive that close to the water. Can't wait. And my girlfriend is pre-vet so I'm sure she would love to see this aquarium!

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
In that case don't miss it! Also, going back to your original post:

I want something efficient that's still fun to drive. Since I obviously won't get that fun out of the power, I'm planning on getting it out of a tactile suspension setup.
You might want to take a look at the "TDI Power Enhancements" subforum. Some on the forum would disagree with that statement pretty strongly! ;)

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
In that case don't miss it! Also, going back to your original post:

You might want to take a look at the "TDI Power Enhancements" subforum. Some on the forum would disagree with that statement pretty strongly! ;)
It's not that there isn't any power to be had, but I want to maximize my efficiency and therefore not touch the engine. I'm going to have all the fun I want with suspension parts, don't worry :)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I did a very similar trip in 1997 in my old vw rabbit diesel. A true "coast to coast" trip. Started with back tires in the water in an NC boat ramp. Put front tires in the water at a pac coast boat ramp. Took a month. 8000 miles. Only failure was high beam switch. Stuck on high beam, ended up adjusting lights so highs were lows.

Rules for the trip: Never eat anywhere where you recognize the name (no chains). Secondary roads as much as possible. No hotels, camping only (a few exceptions). Eat local produce from stands.

Don't miss out on the Puget Sound area. It is worth the miles to spend a week or so poking around there.

Do not spill kim-chee under the passenger seat. Smells bad.

Middle easterners in hostels snore like crazy.

Only one tool and credit card needed. Screwdriver to take tag off dead car, credit card to buy another car in nearest town.

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
I did a very similar trip in 1997 in my old vw rabbit diesel. A true "coast to coast" trip. Started with back tires in the water in an NC boat ramp. Put front tires in the water at a pac coast boat ramp. Took a month. 8000 miles. Only failure was high beam switch. Stuck on high beam, ended up adjusting lights so highs were lows.

Rules for the trip: Never eat anywhere where you recognize the name (no chains). Secondary roads as much as possible. No hotels, camping only (a few exceptions). Eat local produce from stands.

Don't miss out on the Puget Sound area. It is worth the miles to spend a week or so poking around there.

Do not spill kim-chee under the passenger seat. Smells bad.

Middle easterners in hostels snore like crazy.

Only one tool and credit card needed. Screwdriver to take tag off dead car, credit card to buy another car in nearest town.
So much win here, I totally agree man. We're staying away from chain stores as much as possible. We've got 8300 miles totalled up right now... I'm sure it will be more though. Will take precautionary measures with the kim-chee.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I see that part of your route takes you on I90 through Minnesota and South Dakota. Here's a few ideas for you to see along that route. In Wisconsin, you could take a day and stop at Wisconsin Dells. Lots of touristy stuff, but it might be a bit busy, depending on when you go through there. Close by in Barraboo, you've got the Circus World Museum. Some of the things they have is a large collection of restored circus wagons. Taking I90 into MN, you could stop at Austin, MN and see the Spam Museum close to the Hormel plant. You'll see billboards for it when you get close to it. Heading west into South Dakota, you could stop at Mitchell and see the Corn Palace. Somewhere in that area is also Wall Drug. You'll see billboards for that along the way, too.

Here's a driving tip for you if you take the highways through Illinois and Chicago, especially. Many of the highways in that part of the state are tollways. Most of the driving lanes at the tollbooths are for people with the elctronic transponders, but there are cash lanes on the far right side. Make sure you're in the correct lane if you don't want to eventually get a letter in the mail asking you for money.

Other than that, I'm kind of jealous. I wish I could go on that kind of road trip. I have some epic ones on my bucket list, but don't have the money right now to cross them off. I hope you enjoy the trip and make sure to take lots of pictures to remember it. :D

Last edited:

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It's not that there isn't any power to be had, but I want to maximize my efficiency and therefore not touch the engine.
Again, I encourage you to read up on TDI power mods. Many people report that chipping their engine improves fuel economy (I bought mine already chipped, so can't speak from experience). Unless you're getting really crazy, most other performance mods don't meaningfully hurt your fuel economy, provided you are able to maintain self-control over your right foot.

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
I see that part of your route takes you on I90 through Minnesota and South Dakota. Here's a few ideas for you to see along that route. In Wisconsin, you could take a day and stop at Wisconsin Dells. Lots of touristy stuff, but it might be a bit busy, depending on when you go through there. Close by in Barraboo, you've got the Circus World Museum. Some of the things they have is a large collection of restored circus wagons. Taking I90 into MN, you could stop at Austin, MN and see the Spam Museum close to the Hormel plant. You'll see billboards for it when you get close to it. Heading west into South Dakota, you could stop at Mitchell and see the Corn Palace. Somewhere in that area is also Wall Drug. You'll see billboards for that along the way, too.

Here's a driving tip for you if you take the highways through Illinois and Chicago, especially. Many of the highways in that part of the state are tollways. Most of the driving lanes at the tollbooths are for people with the elctronic transponders, but there are cash lanes on the far right side. Make sure you're in the correct lane if you don't want to eventually get a letter in the mail asking you for money.

Other than that, I'm kind of jealous. I wish I could go on that kind of road trip. I have some epic ones on my bucket list, but don't have the money right now to cross them off. I hope you enjoy the trip and make sure to take lots of pictures to remember it. :D
Thanks for the tips! I'll be going through in late June to early July most likely... will it be too busy that time of year?

Will take note on the toll booths. I'm thinking we might get one of those easy passes, but I've never had one so I don't know if it's more expensive or not. Can anyone chime in on that?

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
Again, I encourage you to read up on TDI power mods. Many people report that chipping their engine improves fuel economy (I bought mine already chipped, so can't speak from experience). Unless you're getting really crazy, most other performance mods don't meaningfully hurt your fuel economy, provided you are able to maintain self-control over your right foot.
Hmmm... interesting! I will definitely check that out. As long as it doesn't affect the mileage I'd be game for a little more power. Coming from an M3 though I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed no matter what I do. I dunno, I've kind of had enough of fast... I enjoy precision handling a lot more than just a powerful engine.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Head east off I15 at Idaho Falls, Idaho, to Swan Valley, up over pine creek pass to Victor (Pine creek pass is a super fun winding road fwiw), then over teton pass on wyoming 22 to Jackson Wyoming (which isn't really worth stopping at IMO, its a large western themed outdoor mall) and then north through Teton park. The drive through teton park is some of the best car sightseeing you'll do anywhere in the world, far better than the car sightseeing in Yellowstone IMO. From there you can head up to the south entrance of Yellowstone.

If you want the location of a super sweet free campsite on the end of a point on Hebgen lake just west of Yellowstone drop me a PM...

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stumbled on to this, and coincidentally my son and two friends are planning a very similar trip, leaving mid-June. They're going out the southern route, back the northern. They'll meet up with family in Santa Barbara for the first week of July, visit my brother in Montana on the way back.

They are going in my son's '98 Jetta TDI. It's a bit rusty, has 200K on it, but we're going to give it a once-over before he leaves to make sure it's good for the trip. I think it needs an intake cleaning after 4 years of poking around Amherst MA delivering pizzas. And it has a glow plug fault (shocking, pun intended). I think he should have new tires before the trip, even though his current ones aren't down to the wear marks, and I suspect he needs shocks. Otherwise he should be OK.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Thanks for the tips! I'll be going through in late June to early July most likely... will it be too busy that time of year?

Will take note on the toll booths. I'm thinking we might get one of those easy passes, but I've never had one so I don't know if it's more expensive or not. Can anyone chime in on that?
Wisconsin Dells is fairly busy pretty much from Memorial Day through Labor Day, so it's entirely up to you if you want to stop. If you do stop, Noah's Ark and the duck rides are always popular tourist things.

As far as the transponder for the IL tollbooths, you're probably better off just just paying cash because just to get a transponder, you will be tying up at least $40, initially, unless that's changed. I think you might also be asked to link it to a credit card for automatic recharging. IMO, considering you're from the east coast, you'd be better off forgetting about the I-Pass, unless you drive to the Chicago area quite a bit. Just pay the cash(change) and be done with it. Easier for you. Just my opinion.

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
Head east off I15 at Idaho Falls, Idaho, to Swan Valley, up over pine creek pass to Victor (Pine creek pass is a super fun winding road fwiw), then over teton pass on wyoming 22 to Jackson Wyoming (which isn't really worth stopping at IMO, its a large western themed outdoor mall) and then north through Teton park. The drive through teton park is some of the best car sightseeing you'll do anywhere in the world, far better than the car sightseeing in Yellowstone IMO. From there you can head up to the south entrance of Yellowstone.

If you want the location of a super sweet free campsite on the end of a point on Hebgen lake just west of Yellowstone drop me a PM...
I actually just got a recommendation from a friend saying to check out the tetons... I'm hoping to hit it but it is a bit out of the way. He was just as convinced that the tetons was some of the best sightseeing that you could possible see. I can't wait to be out there and experience it myself.

Stumbled on to this, and coincidentally my son and two friends are planning a very similar trip, leaving mid-June. They're going out the southern route, back the northern. They'll meet up with family in Santa Barbara for the first week of July, visit my brother in Montana on the way back.

They are going in my son's '98 Jetta TDI. It's a bit rusty, has 200K on it, but we're going to give it a once-over before he leaves to make sure it's good for the trip. I think it needs an intake cleaning after 4 years of poking around Amherst MA delivering pizzas. And it has a glow plug fault (shocking, pun intended). I think he should have new tires before the trip, even though his current ones aren't down to the wear marks, and I suspect he needs shocks. Otherwise he should be OK.
Haha wow, that's almost exactly what we're doing. We're going the southern route leaving mid june and staying at my brother's place in SoCal.

Good to know! I think we might end up with a Jetta of some form... it seems like a good size for a big trip like this. I'd like a 1999.5-2005 model but I don't know if I can't afford it. Any recommendations either way? Is one more reliable or efficient than the other? I just don't want to have to run into reliability issues along the way... that would be a big downer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
MKIV Jetta would be fine for a trip like this with two people: a bit tight for more. The back seat is pretty small. The A3 actually is larger inside, but is less refined. Either way, plan on spending some effort and possibly $$ in making it trouble-free for the trip. Good news is these cars are well-known here so you can probably make repairs to prevent getting stranded.

BlindViper

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3
Me and the g/f drove her 02 explorer from PA to chicago to get a deep dish pizza then to CO and the finally due east to come back to PA. Got 19.4 mpg for the trip. Only reason we took the X was comfort. We also slept in the back of the truck vs staying in hotels. Make sure you plan on where you are going to sleep.

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
MKIV Jetta would be fine for a trip like this with two people: a bit tight for more. The back seat is pretty small. The A3 actually is larger inside, but is less refined. Either way, plan on spending some effort and possibly $$ in making it trouble-free for the trip. Good news is these cars are well-known here so you can probably make repairs to prevent getting stranded.
Yeah, well unless we pick up a hitchhiker (read: not picking up hitchhikers) we won't be carrying anymore than just us. I'd like to have some refinement/luxury but the Jettas in general are pretty sparse. We're geeking it up with a wireless laptop card so people will be able to track our location as we go.

I'm totally expecting to do some maintenance work before I set off. Right now the list is: timing belt, water pump, suspension bushings and a swaybar. Oh and I'm going to make sure the A/C is working. Should I check anything else?

Me and the g/f drove her 02 explorer from PA to chicago to get a deep dish pizza then to CO and the finally due east to come back to PA. Got 19.4 mpg for the trip. Only reason we took the X was comfort. We also slept in the back of the truck vs staying in hotels. Make sure you plan on where you are going to sleep.
:eek: Wow man, I thought my subie's mileage was bad. That would take our fuel cost for the trip from $850 to around $2200!!

We're definitely planning on camping pretty much every night, with the occasional hotel where necessary. Hoping to use the truck stops for showers, unless you guys have a better idea.

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
Wisconsin Dells is fairly busy pretty much from Memorial Day through Labor Day, so it's entirely up to you if you want to stop. If you do stop, Noah's Ark and the duck rides are always popular tourist things.

As far as the transponder for the IL tollbooths, you're probably better off just just paying cash because just to get a transponder, you will be tying up at least $40, initially, unless that's changed. I think you might also be asked to link it to a credit card for automatic recharging. IMO, considering you're from the east coast, you'd be better off forgetting about the I-Pass, unless you drive to the Chicago area quite a bit. Just pay the cash(change) and be done with it. Easier for you. Just my opinion.
Totally missed this post, sorry man. I'm blown away with how responsive you guys are... this is awesome to say the least.

Sounds like we'll see on the Wisconsin Dells. I'll be sure to take pictures if I do... I'll post em here for sure.

It seems like they're not really worth the money in my opinion, thanks for the sound advice man!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I second the idea of making a side trip through Jackson, WY. I also would nix the leg through northern Nevada, and instead cut down through Utah, down US 89 to AZ. Then down Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff down to Sedona, then Prescott, Yarnell (AZ 89), and over to CA. Work your way up to northern CA, and close the loop some other way. There is some fantastic country in UT, CO, NM, and AZ that lends itself well to a "B-road" trip. Have fun!

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
I second the idea of making a side trip through Jackson, WY. I also would nix the leg through northern Nevada, and instead cut down through Utah, down US 89 to AZ. Then down Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff down to Sedona, then Prescott, Yarnell (AZ 89), and over to CA. Work your way up to northern CA, and close the loop some other way. There is some fantastic country in UT, CO, NM, and AZ that lends itself well to a "B-road" trip. Have fun!
Sounds good, I'll take a look with the gf and see what we think. We have SO many sites now that we want to check out, I'm hoping to hit most of them. Thanks for the tips, we certainly will!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
BTW, I expect my son's car will average about 45 MPG on this trip. At $4/gallon that means $738 in fuel.

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
BTW, I expect my son's car will average about 45 MPG on this trip. At $4/gallon that means $738 in fuel.
Yeah I'm planning on catastrophies here so I'm sure I can afford everything. With 45 mpg and our current 8300 mile route (rounded up to 8500) with fuel at $5 a gallon (in case it spikes this summer), our total comes out to just under $950. Way better than what I expected with the M3: $1,574 or worse, the subaru: $1,847 :eek:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Hoping to use the truck stops for showers, unless you guys have a better idea.
For the more out of the way campsites where you can find an out of sight spot to get nude under a tree a "solar shower" does well.

In south east Utah, drive north through valley of the gods and then continue north on the moki dugway, absolutely INSANE road building, and the valley of the gods is thoroughly awesome and you can free camp through there I'm pretty sure.

Valley of the gods,

moki dugway

slickfast

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5MT
For the more out of the way campsites where you can find an out of sight spot to get nude under a tree a "solar shower" does well.
In south east Utah, drive north through valley of the gods and then continue north on the moki dugway, absolutely INSANE road building, and the valley of the gods is thoroughly awesome and you can free camp through there I'm pretty sure.
Valley of the gods,

moki dugway

WOW. Those roads/view look fantastic! I'll try to put this on the map. I'll update in the next few days with our new route, I need to consult the gf about this...

SisuKid1975

TDI
99.5 Golf GL 2 door, manual
It's not that there isn't any power to be had, but I want to maximize my efficiency and therefore not touch the engine. I'm going to have all the fun I want with suspension parts, don't worry :)

You're still thinking in gasser terms. With a gasser, to make more power you dump more fuel and try and jam as much air in there as you can. With diesel, it's a pretty simple equation you have to keep in mind: X+Y+c=Z, where X is a quantity of fuel, Y is a quantity of air, c is a constant (compression) and Z=Power. Diesels run wide open throttle all the time. The air going in is more or less fixed. The only thing we do to make more power is increase fuel. We do that with our right feet and the accelerator pedal. Just because we have the ability to push obscene amounts of fuel, doesn't mean we have to. ;)

You want to go 60 MPH, you need Z amount of power, so you inject X amount of fuel. It's pretty much a linear function.

So just because you have the ability to produce 2Z amount of power, doesn't mean you have to. It really comes down to what you do with your right foot. We recently went over to a larger injection pump on ours. Technically, it can push more fuel and generate more power. But it doesn't do it until I ask it to. Net effect is that I can still cruise at 70MPH all day and get 50 MPG, but I also have more power in reserve for when I want it.

The ALH engine in the 99.5 has 30 more horsepower in European models, and gets the same mileage. The North American models are a bit de-tuned for some reason. In essence, there is pretty much a "free" 30 horsepower in there waiting to be liberated by a few mild modifications. You start going more that that, and it gets expensive to milk more out of it.

Last edited: