What did you do to your car today?

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
when we get home friday i might put fuel in the car. since it sits in the driveway while we are away i do not remember where the fuel gauge points. mom lives a whopping 63 miles away so i need to top that baby off fer-sher!

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Changed the oil and filter and filled her up with the B100 i make in the garage. Since rebuilding the front end and rear shocks ect have been driving in the 80-85 MPH range. Have to stop that as milage went from 47 to 36 on the last tank. These bugs are not as slick as the Jettas LOL But 90 cents a gallon I may still drive a little faster.

JJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Attempted to replace the brakes on all 4 corners today. Picked up the pads and rotors along with a bleeder and the tool to reposition the rear caliper pistons. Need to pick up a 14mm triple square bit to do the rears and a 22mm socket for the fronts. Hopefully I can get those tomorrow and complete the work tomorrow after work.
Well, did the front brakes today...replaced the rotors and pads...easier than it looked yesterday. Rears are going to be left to someone else with a lift and tools.

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Two fillups in a row...347 miles...same mileage within 1/2 mile. Same fuel economy: 34 MPG. Back to where it should be for the driving conditions here.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
A week ago -- replaced the rubber in my dogbone with ECS' bushing/bolt kit. The old rubber was like a shifter boot! Major difference with that 70-durometer rubber. Hopefully it will wear in some & not vibrate as much! Also, moved my thermocouple from the EGR block off plate to the exhaust manifold. EGT gauge was reading about 1/2 what it was supposed to!

Then, I drove it to Lexington & back, about 390 round-trip. Nice to still be driving on that same tank of fuel, w/about 3/8 of a tank left!

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
:(...........

I'm going to keep the OEM axles that are coming off the car today, buy new CV joints from AutohausAZ, rebuild the axles myself, and then store them until I have problems with the CRAP axles I'm getting today.

Hey Scott,

The front end of the Jetta was making a bunch of noise and driver side axle was spitting grease all around from a torn boot..I guessed a fubar driver side CV joint ...... maybe it did not like the 200 miles per day I have been doing for the last 2 years I guess ... So I picked up a used OEM set my buddy at Tomas Sports tuning (for $80) and put it in tonight...... noise gone :D.....

I am thinking of doing the same as you and rebuild it with the new CV joints kit from AutohausAZ ........ I tend to break axles at the track and it would be nice to have a spare... Is that pretty hard to do? did you find an how-to somewhere?

I also fixed a taillight and put a bunch of dielectric grease in the MAF plug....

Nice Job guys ....... These cars look SWEET!!!

and so do the photos...... I particularly love the lights in these photos.......

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Not today but a few weeks ago. Since getting new brakes and pads last year, the brakes had been squeaky, a bit spongy, and a little wobbly.

After reading someone's post here about it [I can't remember who!] most wobbly brakes aren't actually warped rotors but they just need a good braking or two. That's what I did. Found a back road, and did 4 or 5 50 to 5 MPH standing-on-the-pedal-brakings.

Other than fading after the 2nd or 3rd run, and the amazing smell, it fixed the squeak, the spongy feel and wobble.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Max,

I am thinking of doing the same as you and rebuild it with the new CV joints kit from AutohausAZ ........ I tend to break axles at the track and it would be nice to have a spare... Is that pretty hard to do? did you find an how-to somewhere?
Not that I'm aware of. I'm going to see if it's fairly intuitive once the parts are in my hands. I need to find one of those tools for removing/installing the boot clamp/band. That's the only part I'd have to see work before tackling the real deal.

Scott

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
It is fairly intuitive, the inner comes apart easier than the outer. It's messy, really messy though... I've done a bunch lately and I think it's fair to say that if you mark the index between the parts, take them apart, clean them and re-assemble in the same index with new grease and boots around 150K, they won't fail from dry grease at the mid 200K mark. It is fairly labor intensive though...

I recently used a GKN replacement inner, ~$100 and seemed quite nice, there's a Mattelli inner out there for a little less $, I have no experience with them but sounds like it might be worth a try.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
It is fairly intuitive, the inner comes apart easier than the outer. It's messy, really messy though... I've done a bunch lately and I think it's fair to say that if you mark the index between the parts, take them apart, clean them and re-assemble in the same index with new grease and boots around 150K, they won't fail from dry grease at the mid 200K mark. It is fairly labor intensive though...

I recently used a GKN replacement inner, ~$100 and seemed quite nice, there's a Mattelli inner out there for a little less $, I have no experience with them but sounds like it might be worth a try.
I can't get to vortex from work, but I'm pretty sure there is a detailed to-do there on rebuilding the joint. I could be mistaken, however, and it might just be a boot change...

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
If you are using stock parts usually it's easier to put in a reman'd shaft and not mess with rebuilding the joint.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
If you are using stock parts usually it's easier to put in a reman'd shaft and not mess with rebuilding the joint.
If i read the posts correctly, they're talking about rebuilding the joints so as to have extras 'cause more powah = broken axles :D

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Max,

Not that I'm aware of. I'm going to see if it's fairly intuitive once the parts are in my hands. I need to find one of those tools for removing/installing the boot clamp/band. That's the only part I'd have to see work before tackling the real deal.

Scott

Go to your local farm supply store (or a well stocked hardware store) and pickup a fencing pliers/nippers - they work very well for CV boot band clamps and only cost ~$20

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
My rear right tyre had two nails in it, got it plugged by a tyre shop near work. Nice and cheap, I was worried I'd have to get a new tyre. Which wouldn't have made sense as all 4 need replacing soon which is fine, just that I don't want that bill just yet after spending a ton getting it serviced this month. Hopefully I can eek out another couple months on these tyres before buying a whole new set.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
If your going to to do your own CV joints, here is what I do when I rebuild the big ones that we install in jet boats.
1- lay a nice big sheet of poly on your bench
2- have a box of nitrile/latex gloves at the ready
3- lots of clean rags on hand
4- 5gl bucket with a trash bag inserted
6-if you can get a tyveck/paper coveralls do so, otherwise wear cloths that have no value
7- I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and tape the cuffs of the tyveck suit to the gloves
8- I then double up the gloves and start working.
The grease is very messy, and it WILL STAIN YOUR SKIN, it will not totally wash off.
When your finished throw everything away and take your cloths off before you go back in the house. Ask me why I know.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
^^^ LOL! That sounds similar to the steps I'd recommend for cleaning an EGR. That stuff gets everywhere! Thanks for the warning.

Scott

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
Ran the wire from the CCM to the cluster area for the hood open warning on the FIS, just waiting for the repair wires to come in now. Reassembled the lower dash panels since I don't need to fiddle around in there again until I've got all the pieces for an MFSW swap.

Just waiting for the tools to arrive to finish my cluster swap because as it turns out, I don't have my SKC like I thought I did. :/ Oh well, soon enough.

Now, if only the mailman would bestow the rest of my Internet findings upon me, we'd have a Golf weekend ahead of us. :)

penclnck

Dropped the blue wagon off at the body shop for paint... bumper pieces are in the back to be painted and some very minor paint work on the body. Hope to get it back Saturday morning and have it all back together by noon.

Deebeaux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf GLS
Woo, leather door cards came in... I got one installed before it got dark.

Going to look funny if I take anyone to lunch tomorrow at the office.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Washed it, refueled it, Ordered a Skid plate (slammed since 07 no problems yet), Received my TDI sport MFA, and wished that my Climatronic was installed.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
The front end of the Jetta was making a bunch of noise and driver side axle was spitting grease all around from a torn boot..I guessed a fubar driver side CV joint ...... maybe it did not like the 200 miles per day I have been doing for the last 2 years I guess ... So I picked up a used OEM set my buddy at Tomas Sports tuning (for $80) and put it in tonight...... noise gone :D.....
After changing my driver side axle (which had a broken boot) Noise came back the next day :confused: Last night I changed the passenger side axle and noise is gone and has not come back yet... 100 highway miles later.... :) Let's see if it holds out

I will buy some CV joint kits and rebuilds the axles... this procedure is for replacing the boots only but how to replace the cv joint is fairly evident in the DIY