www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 6th, 2017, 16:16   #3436
TooSlick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi 100S

Mr Lion,

Spectrographic oil analysis can't discern whether it's abrasive silicon, or polymeric silicon(e) in the used oil sample. What you're seeing here is normal chemical leaching of silicone from new seals and/or gaskets. It causes no harm and will dissipate after a few more oil changes

If you had 45 ppm of abrasive silicon in this sample, your upper engine metals (Cr/Fe/Al/Nickel), would be severely elevated. Such is not the case here....

TS
TooSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 16:21   #3437
TooSlick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi 100S

I would keep an eye on that lead level though! That's coming from the soft bearing overlays and is generally indicative of corrosive or chemical wear, or an oil that's much too thin for the application. It could also be tied to the parts you had replaced, but again it should drop down to 1-3 ppm over time.

TS
TooSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 18:18   #3438
mountain lion
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 53 avg, 59.7(high)

TooSlick,

Thanks much for the review! I had a feeling it might just be new parts - the silicon had me worried though as Blackstone assumes it's abrasive.

As for the copper and lead - I've read a couple articles and the cam threads here stating that the shell bearings for the cam (which were replaced) contain lead and copper - hopefully what I'm seeing is a result of break in since I'm only at 22k miles on the new parts. I have the cut bearings franko6 supplied which does expose copper on the top bearings. I've always used M1 TDT and in the first 4 reports, has always worked well. My original cam was in good shape, but I swapped it out during the injector work since I was in there.

All I can do now is drive more and see how things progress.

Thanks again. Best,
ML
mountain lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 15:02   #3439
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain lion View Post
TooSlick,

Thanks much for the review! I had a feeling it might just be new parts - the silicon had me worried though as Blackstone assumes it's abrasive.

As for the copper and lead - I've read a couple articles and the cam threads here stating that the shell bearings for the cam (which were replaced) contain lead and copper - hopefully what I'm seeing is a result of break in since I'm only at 22k miles on the new parts. I have the cut bearings franko6 supplied which does expose copper on the top bearings. I've always used M1 TDT and in the first 4 reports, has always worked well. My original cam was in good shape, but I swapped it out during the injector work since I was in there.

All I can do now is drive more and see how things progress.

Thanks again. Best,
ML
I was going to ask about break-in process but if you're in contact with Frank, I'm sure you broke in like he recommends.
Old Today, 12:09   #3440
tootall424

Just got my oil report back. Doesnt look good for a TDI Touareg with only 51k

tootall424 is offline   Reply With Quote