www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old September 1st, 2017, 12:08   #91
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Try it and report back. As you found most find Ross-Tech to be the tool to use. I get a "404: Oops, this page couldn’t be found." for that link.
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:12   #92
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTheRace View Post
All I'm seeing is references to Ross-Tech. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with www.totalcardiagnostics.com/vagcom‎ --- this is a $100 unit. Also, will these work with my Apple MacBook Pro?

I've got an electrical issue that needs to be narrowed down.
1) The link you posted gives a 404 (Page not found) error.
2) Any "vagcom" that is not from Ross-Tech is an illegal clone or hack of a Ross-Tech's product. These are usually older versions and they are NOT upgradable. Good luck if you support thieves - there will be no support.
3) VCDS (the program) is a Windows program. It can run on a MacBook Pro *IF* you are running Windows as a VM or in a dual boot setup. It will NOT run under Apple's operating system.
4) A HEX-NET wireless interface with VCDS Mobile will run on a MAC or an iPhone or any other device with WiFi and a web browser.

Have Fun!

Don
Old September 1st, 2017, 14:11   #93
tadawson
Veteran Member

FYI, works great in a Linux machine in a VM as well . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 09:26   #94
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
1) The link you posted gives a 404 (Page not found) error.
2) Any "vagcom" that is not from Ross-Tech is an illegal clone or hack of a Ross-Tech's product. These are usually older versions and they are NOT upgradable. Good luck if you support thieves - there will be no support.
3) VCDS (the program) is a Windows program. It can run on a MacBook Pro *IF* you are running Windows as a VM or in a dual boot setup. It will NOT run under Apple's operating system.
4) A HEX-NET wireless interface with VCDS Mobile will run on a MAC or an iPhone or any other device with WiFi and a web browser.

Have Fun!

Don
so i'm just jumping into this (finally). i don't have Windows - got a MacBook Pro and a couple gens of iPhones... is the VCDS Mobile the way to go? i really just want to tweak some settings - steering assist, window/fob trick, etc.

thanks, Don
Old September 2nd, 2017, 09:49   #95
gassprint1

TDI(s): 2006 jetta

as long as you get the hex-net, you can use any tablet, os system. goto ross-tech.com find the hex net and what the videos. they have many of them on youtube also.
gassprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:31   #96
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassprint1 View Post
as long as you get the hex-net, you can use any tablet, os system. goto ross-tech.com find the hex net and what the videos. they have many of them on youtube also.
cool - not sure i'm ready to spend 500 clams... maybe find a used one, or find a clubber to help.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:52   #97
gassprint1

don't know where you are getting 500 from, but they are only 199
Old September 2nd, 2017, 14:19   #98
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Hubbins View Post
so i'm just jumping into this (finally). i don't have Windows - got a MacBook Pro and a couple gens of iPhones... is the VCDS Mobile the way to go? i really just want to tweak some settings - steering assist, window/fob trick, etc.
VCDS Mobile in a HEX-NET would work with your Apple products. However, you probably could buy a used wired interface and a cheap used Windows netbook or tablet for less money. (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassprint1 View Post
don't know where you are getting 500 from, but they are only 199
A HEX-NET wireless interface starts at $449 for a 10 VIN model and $599 for unlimited. For $199 you are thinking about the HEX-V2 (VIN limited) which uses a USB connection and it does require a Windows computer.

Have Fun!

Don
Old September 2nd, 2017, 16:11   #99
gassprint1

your right, thought it said same as v2 when i ordered the v2 tuesday
Old September 27th, 2017, 17:40   #100
RunTheRace

Fuel Economy: 39-41 mpg

I'm cheap. How about the wireless plugs that use either wifi or bluetooth which trasnmit to your phone, and use OBD Car Doctor App, etc.???
RunTheRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 17:52   #101
gassprint1

the hex net is like expensive. cheap would be the hex v2 for $200 for use on 3 cars.
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:27   #102
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I own the old, non-locked version of VCDS, but there are times I just want to know some of the easy stuff and I do not like to drive with my laptop. I have an ELM- Bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro for my Android phone and have no trouble reading and or clearing DTC's. I would of never part with my VCDS as there is no way to check my IQ or timing using my phone.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 12:10   #103
gassprint1

i'm not into it that deep for checking the timing of the pump an such just yet. i have an 06 tdi which read much different than the older stuff. i'm not sure what is different from the old program and the new program either. i have the recent ross tech software version also being i just got it a couple weeks ago. if you check the wiki page on ross tech, there is alot of good info on doing that type of stuff or join a facebook group and ask questions there. sorry i can't be alot more helpful on that part of it. many of the guys have the alh engines an such with mods on my fb group VW TDI Owners might give that a try.