www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old June 24th, 2017, 13:31   #76
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mickey View Post
I will be getting VCDS. I had (until I accidentally threw away the interface connector last week) an old beta version of VAG-COM that Uwe Ross sent me to play with. Circa 1999 or 2000 I believe. It worked like a charm.

-mickey
Even if you still had that old interface (and Vag-Com), it would not work with your new car. All new cars (since about 2006) are CAN bus while your old Vag-Com interface was only K-Line. All new Ross-Tech interfaces support CAN bus cars. If you are looking to get a used R-T interface you will need a Micro-CAN or a HEX+CAN cable. Other interfaces are K-Line and only for 2005 and older VWs.

Have Fun!

Don
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:45   #77
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

I might be a little late to the game re OBD scanners. Just ordered a generic WiFi OBD II scanner from Amazon.

I really want it for reading DTC's and maybe a few other things. I don't intend to DYI the fuel filter or do much other DIY work. Just bought my teenage son an old car, so it might come in handy there too.

So tell me, what does the VAG-COM do that the generic $20 OBD II scanner does not do? Seems that the VAG-COM is tailored to the VW/Audi.

Keep in mind: I'm giving my Jetta back to VW next year via the BB and I'm not 100% sure what I'm replacing it with. Second, my son has a non-VW car and I want the scanner for his car probably even more than mine.

Last edited by DieselMann99; June 26th, 2017 at 11:51.
DieselMann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 15:31   #78
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselMann99 View Post
.................So tell me, what does the VAG-COM do that the generic $20 OBD II scanner does not do? Seems that the VAG-COM is tailored to the VW/Audi. ................
No need to buy one if you don't need it.
The VCDS (vag-com) is reverse engineered from the VAG tool. It is the only device (other than the VAG one) that will communicate with all the modules and read all the correct codes. That being said many folks get by with other devices with varying levels of success.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 17:39   #79
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselMann99 View Post
I might be a little late to the game re OBD scanners. Just ordered a generic WiFi OBD II scanner from Amazon.

I really want it for reading DTC's and maybe a few other things. I don't intend to DYI the fuel filter or do much other DIY work. Just bought my teenage son an old car, so it might come in handy there too.

So tell me, what does the VAG-COM do that the generic $20 OBD II scanner does not do? Seems that the VAG-COM is tailored to the VW/Audi.

Keep in mind: I'm giving my Jetta back to VW next year via the BB and I'm not 100% sure what I'm replacing it with. Second, my son has a non-VW car and I want the scanner for his car probably even more than mine.
VCDS will access all modules on the car, unlike generic OBD-II, which is emission-centric, and only covers a very small subset of what is on a car. VCDS also allows sending commands to start tests, as well as the ability to code/configure modules and perform adaptations, none of which is supported by an OBD device at all. If all you need is to read generic OBD-II codes, then a cheapie will do the trick. If you actually plan to do any real work, then VCDS would be a far better choice.

Last edited by tadawson; June 28th, 2017 at 08:51.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:25   #80
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
VCDS will access all modules on the car, unlike OBD-II, which is emission-centric, and only covers a very small subset of whatbis on a car. VCDS also allows sending commands to start tests, as well as the ability to code/configure modules and perform adaptations, none of which is supported by an OBD device at all. If all you need is to read generic OBD-II codes, then a cheapie will do the trick. If you actually planto do any real work, then VCDS would be a far better choice.
Thank you. That sums it up I guess.
DieselMann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 21:20   #81
MikeyC66

I would like to get a reader for my '06 Jetta wagon but I don't have a laptop I could use with the VCDS dongle, plus I live in an apartment so even an extension cable to my PC is out of the question. Is there a way to store the data on a USB stick so I could use it on a PC elsewhere? I looked on the Ross Tech site and couldn't see any info other than their VCDS Mobile which is pricey. Are their any other products available that would work for me, i.e: an OBDII reader, etc. I am not very knowledgeable with auto repair, I am just looking for a way to check what the potential issue is before I bring it to a mechanic. Thanks for any suggestions. :-)
MikeyC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 23:32   #82
tadawson
Veteran Member

Nope. OBD/VAG is an interactive protocol, not just a passive data dump. It doesn't need much of a computer, so if you can get an old laptop for cheap, it should be enough.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017, 03:19   #83
gassprint1

TDI(s): 2006 jetta
Default What VCDS program system do i really need?

ok, so i have read alot of these posts, not all as i wasn't finding what i was looking for after a few pages. i looked on ross's site about the different levels of the vcds programs. a bit confused as to what i will need for what i'll be doing. i look at the prices and then features and they seem about the same to me.
WHAT I'LL BE DOING...2006 jetta tdi with brm engine and auto trans.dsg
I need to run certain tests such as kicking the cooling fans on or checking the solenoid in the ac compressor or resetting an airbag light. could be more if another problem comes up. at the moment i don't know anyone with the scan system and sure as hell not driving an hour and get over charged by the dealer. my ac stopped working a couple weeks ago and think i have it narrowed down to the fan module or the compressor solenoid and or both. got both parts ordered and will be here tuesday. i have used the cheap scaners for years such as from napa or harborfrieght just to read codes on different cars. my jetta goes into limp a couple times in the winter and the codes that came up were the throttle position pedal and something else to that affect. i reset the system and pretty much comes out of it. something seems to get wet to me. ...So those are the things i deal with . what cheap ross sytem will do all this stuff and what windows operating do i have to have. i seen someone mention they were going to use a cheap netbook....an elcheapo netbook is all i need?, thanks in advance, this programming system is going to be way new for me as it can't be compaired to a store bought scan tool.....
gassprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 14:08   #84
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

HEX-V2 with limited # of vehicles at $200 seems the best choice.
Ross site says Windows 7 or higher, but I might call them on that if you have XP.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 14:11   #85
gassprint1

vista on this dell studio. kinda old so figured a cheap notebook laptop would be the answer. i'll have to check out the hex-v2.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 14:23   #86
gassprint1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Ross site says Windows 7 or higher, but I might call them on that if you have XP.
checked it out on ross's page but didn't find any specs it would do.. trying to call them and seems the number is always busy.
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:45   #87
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

VCDS v.1.5.7 works fine on my old XP-Pro netbook.
It is the only thing I use this netbook for.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 08:13   #88
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Quote:
Sales of Windows XP licenses to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) ceased on June 30, 2008, but continued for netbooks until October 2010.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

As best I know, our developer is not putting in effort to ensure VCDS will work on outdated computers.... if it works on some one's XP machine, great. If it doesn't work... well... it is an old computer. XP machines can be upwards of 16 years old to the day as of this post.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 11:54   #89
gassprint1

yea i discussed this with the gf and when i got thru, don't remember the guys name i talked to, got all the info i needed and such. guys are very helpful there at ROSS-TECH...Thanks
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:04   #90
RunTheRace

Fuel Economy: 39-41 mpg

All I'm seeing is references to Ross-Tech. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with www.totalcardiagnostics.com/vagcom‎ --- this is a $100 unit. Also, will these work with my Apple MacBook Pro?

I've got an electrical issue that needs to be narrowed down.
RunTheRace is offline   Reply With Quote