www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5)

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US).

Old May 28th, 2017, 04:53   #16
BarryT82
Veteran Member

I haven't tried it with the paddle shifters, but using sport mode makes a big difference in the pickup.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 19:11   #17
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Mileage for another tank came to 35.8, a personal best. My average is pulling up bit by bit. I'm a bit surprised, since my wife drove about half of the miles, haha. Maybe leaving the mpg average in the cockpit display is wearing off on her some, haha.

I'll do a third tank my normal way (emphasizing efficiency) and then start playing more with D, S, and paddle shift power delivery experiments. Then I'll end with some summary comments.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (slated for buyback)

Last edited by Mythdoc; June 7th, 2017 at 19:13.
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 21:14   #18
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Another 35.8 tank. So mpg went up about 1-1.5 mpg tops. I have been using sport mode to check power, and it feels better, but it is very subjective. Also the paddle shifters are just too tempting, lol! I prefer them much to sport mode. I am running tires at about the end of their tread life so don't want to do insane driving until they are changed in the fall.

I'd be open to testing in ways anyone suggests. Barry has some diagnostic tools and might weigh in.

I long ago decided that the Chipwerke was worth the $300 entry fee. It suits my style of driving, which is mostly for efficiency except for about 5 times per outing when I floor it, lol. It seems to give a modest bump to my already great mpg. If you do a ton of stop and go, then you might not be the best candidate for either a Chipwerke or a diesel engine, haha. For me, a rural/highway driver, the Chipwerke puts a little bit of icing on top of the diesel cake. When my warranty expires I will look seriously at an ECU tune, with or without an emissions system modification.

Thanks for following this thread.

Old July 26th, 2017, 00:30   #19
willyworm

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Forgive my ignorance here, but I assume this is the 2.0L in this vehicle?

I'm still looking at diesel options out there for my next ride. BMW x5 is out of the running after some reading on the mpg figures they post and my Q7 options are severely limited. Kind of leaning towards the Q5 TDI now that I see those mpg figures. I drive 25,000/yr for work and used to drive a Jetta TDI so I miss the efficiency diesel can offer. But now I have a family and pull a boat often so I need something with more room and can tow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
willyworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:57   #21
willyworm

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

I saw that much, but the way he wrote it I thought it eluded to the 3.0 being in the Touareg he used to own, not the q5 he now has. Which is why I asked for clarification.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
willyworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 16:42   #22
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

I get great mileage with the 3.0 Q5 in a rural use/highway setting. Chipwerke helps a little, and using paddle shifters (part of the sport package) also helps a little. When in Knoxville, as I occasionally am, my efficiency goes down between 4-7 mpg depending on route and traffic