www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 4th, 2017, 13:50   #16
Rlfdavin

TDI(s): None

Pics of AC bracket? I'm wanting to swap TDI into my 4runner but AC is a must
Rlfdavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 09:24   #17
dbywaters

TDI(s): 99 NB Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
I can't seem to get the VW pedal 'just right' against the Toyota floorboard. I'm going to look at doing something like this.

dbywaters, can you explain in some more detail how you setup the pulley and throttle pedal in general?
I carefully drilled the vw aluminum cable connector to accept the Toyota cable, the rest was mounting it in a way that it aligned with the mount. Actually pretty simple to do...

Doug
dbywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 10:59   #18
frambach

TDI(s): 3 ALHs

I'm not clear on where you sourced the 'vw aluminum cable connector' though.?
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 08:22   #19
dbywaters

Default Connector on TPS

I modified the aluminum bell-crank on the VW TPS to accept the Toyota throttle cable. This required some careful drilling and notching to allow insertion of the cable end, but it seems to work very well.

Doug
Old February 25th, 2017, 12:02   #20
frambach

TDI(s): 3 ALHs

I'm left to put the info together and say that you must have sourced this bellcrank from another VW since the ALH is a drive-by-wire.

I only mess with TDI's. I'm not versed in all things VW...
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:49   #21
dbywaters

Smile Maybe I should have called it something different

What I refer to as a bell crank is the semi circular aluminum piece which the 98 throttle position sending unit is actuated. The TDI I installed is drive by wire, the VW actuator located within the throttle pedal assemble utilizes a short cable connecting the sending unit (cylindrical variable resistor of sorts) to the throttle pedal.
I disassembled the components and using a metal cutting saw I cut apart the bracket which the sending unit is mounted and used only part of the bracket required to mount the sending unit to the inside of the fender.
I then carefully modified the aluminum actuator arm (what I refer to as a "bell crank") that is connected to the position sending unit so could remove the existing cable and accept the Toyota throttle cable end. I will try to post a picture.
Yes, my TDI is drive by wire...

4th fill-up, 31mpg... :-)
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:13   #22
Hasenwerk

Be careful! The potentiometer isn't water proof! I found this out the hard way miles from home.

Fast Forward Automotive
Stand Alone Wire Harness Retrofitting and Accessories | Signal Converters, Gateways and Processors | Vehicle Speed Sensors | Malone Tuning
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:38   #23
dbywaters

Default Some early conversion photos..

I found some photos of mounts and such I made for the t100 conversion, they can be found here

http://s163.photobucket.com/user/dby...library/Toyota
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:25   #24
dbywaters

Default Bead Roller

I built my own crimp tool to create beads on aluminum tube ends. I made it from a crimp tool designed for TV Coax connectors and a small bolt. I welded the bolt in one of the crimp openings, ground and filed it to a shape close the bead shape . I mounted the tool in a vice and with the help of a cheater tube on the handle I was able to create acceptable (to me) beads on the ends of charge air tubing. You can see a video in the link below.

https://youtu.be/uNhY97Yu75g
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:58   #25
dbywaters

Smile I now have A/C in the T100!

Other than mounting the toyota compressor there are two additional hurdles to cross to have A/C in the conversion. 1st is to fool the A/C amplifier circuit board (located on top of the Evaporator behind the glove box) to think the engine is running and the 2nd is to make electric fans cycle when the Head pressure reaches maximum rather than have them run continuously.

I wanted to retain the amplifier board as it incorporates temperature and pressure cycling of the compressor rather than have it run continuously. In researching the circuit board I found it also cycles the compressor if the engine RPM is too low... well I did not tie in my TDI ECM to the Tach signal.. so I had to find a bypass. I found that putting a voltage on pin2 of the IC Chip on the circuit board effectively bypasses the RPM cutout. I added a resistor to drop the voltage some, the image below shows the resistor and wiring I added to fake out the RPM... and also, simply turning the dial to its lowest setting did not allow the A/C to operate.

The second hurdle is to control the radiator fans. I am using the VW radiator and fans from the New Beetle donor car, so I retained the radiator mounted thermostat for fan low-speed. I believe this will be adequate to keep engine temps in-check. I added a relay to power the high speed fans. I then installed a thermostat with sensing bulb from Advance Auto Parts to trigger the relay. I secured the sensing bulb to the aluminum line leaving the condenser and headed to the firewall.... I am not certain this is the best place but it works for now. My thinking is while traveling down the road the air passing through the condenser will keep the refrigerant temp lower than my setpoint and the fans will not need to run, but if I slow up or at a stop the fans will turn on and cycle on high speed. Time will tell if this will work out. I made a You Tube Video showing the components and operation. I hope this helps out someone else, I have several videos related to motor home and the TDI on my channel.

https://youtu.be/_ke1PPFofww

Doug
Old April 22nd, 2017, 19:30   #26
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Nice work around.
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 19:58   #27
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

weird, my AC works fine without touching the amplifier ... i just mounted the ac compressor ... i did splice a wire from the ac button to the fan relay so my fans run when the ac system is on
Old April 23rd, 2017, 06:00   #28
dbywaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
weird, my AC works fine without touching the amplifier ... i just mounted the ac compressor ... i did splice a wire from the ac button to the fan relay so my fans run when the ac system is on
I wish that was the case for me... I spent the better part of a Saturday morning trying to find a solution on the web and reverse engineering the circuitry on the amplifier board, I never found a pin-out for the chip on the board..that would been helpful.

Doug