A5 Key Fob Battery Replacement?

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Hey! Just out of curiousity: what's that red button on the side of the remote? My remote doesn't have that one :D

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
dhdenney said:
It's the alarm.
If you can't find your car in the parking lot push this button. Your horn will honk and your lights will flash helping you find it.:rolleyes:

An alternate use is for if you are getting mugged in the parking lot you are supposed to push it and the lights will flash and the horn will honk. Hopefully it will attract attention.:p

I might have the order mixed up but....:D

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I have sounded the alarm before to find the car! Wish my Firebird had that in college as I lost it several times in the ginormous parking lot.

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Wow! It's so incredibly easy to open it up when you have instructions. Thank you!!
My battery read 3.04V, so I thought maybe the circuitry was fried. But when I put it back in and snapped it all back together, the key fob is working again. Seems like it just got hung up and needed to be power cycled, just like smart phones and computers.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
But when I put it back in and snapped it all back together, the key fob is working again. Seems like it just got hung up and needed to be power cycled, just like smart phones and computers.
Yes. I noticed this recently too. I thought my battery was weak so I removed it, tested it, and it tested out okay. After putting it all back together guess what - it was working fine again, as if it had a new battery installed.

So the bottom line is when our key FOB acts goofy or appears to need a new battery, first try removing the battery from the key FOB and waiting a minute and replacing the same battery back into the key FOB.

lee157

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 98 White Standard, 2006 Jetta TDI DSG White
Here is another DIY, especially handy if you don't have fingernails like the "technician" in the previous post.;)
http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/schnabba/a4remote_new_print.pdf
This is a VERY nice PDF that I saved in my folder with all my other Jetta stuff.

THANKS!!

BTW,,

My door locks had stopped opening so I dug out the spare fob and they worked.

This told me it was the fob and not the car.

Replaced the battery in the defective fob and now all is good!!
Another thread had said the door opening was the first to go with low fob battery,,
I CAN CONFIRM THIS!

So this thread saved me any future frustrations of using my key to unlock the car and saved me from paying someone to fix it.

THIS is why these forums are so AWESOME!!!

Last edited: