audi Quattro TDI???

jeffh

TDI
a3 jetta a4 jetta
has anyone had any expierence in swapping a tdi engine into an audi Quattro or Syncro VW? It sounds like a great idea. I want to find out is this is possibel. I was thinking of a 4000 or 80 or 90, or even a quantum syncro. Would the tdi block bolt up to where a 5 cyl. engine did? any help would be appreciated, thanks

Weisse Bora

Veteran Member
Seeing how all the VW water cooled engines are actually Audi engines, this is an easy swap until you get to the gear ratio problems. You can eventually get the right final drive's but its difficult.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
My wife has a 1994 Audi 80 TDI.

It has the same 1Z 90 bhp TDI engine as my Passat (more or less), but the ECU, engine mounts and I suppose the manifolds are different.

The transmission looks as though it has multiple mounting holes so that it can take Audi or VW engines.

Another possibility is the 5 cyl TDI motor from an Audi 100. I don't know whether you could get it in a quattro 80/90 or not. I am guessing that you would need the split radiator thing though.

jeffh

TDI
a3 jetta a4 jetta
what kind of ratio trouble could I expect? too high or too low. i usually don't drive much over 75 mph

Weisse Bora

Veteran Member
Most of the 5 cylinder Audi 4000Q's had top gear ratios putting the engine RPM @ about 3000 at 70 MPH. If you put a TDI in these, you are looking at a maximum road speed of about 105 MPH, give or take a few. Not a problem for the engine but cruising will consume more fuel than if the proper ratios are selected.

What I had envisoned was using the 4kQ running gear mated to a VW pickup and use 33" tires. Correct ratio, great ground clearance with the independent suspension all around and the necessary lift to clear the tires...mini monster.

Shoot, it would be easier to make a mini HMMWV...use 2-speed planetary hubs for a low range and even better clearance

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
I have seen many Audi 90/100 with burnt out engines around here CHEAP- I could have gotten a 1993 100 for $1200!
Needed power windows messed with- guy was sick of it!

Quattro systems are of interest to me- If I get one will buy parts cars and wheel-n-deal on Ebay- fairly common parts