Minor Improvement - AHU MKII GTI gets BV43, Ralle FMIC etc...

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
Tell us more about your rear brake caliber carrier that you're having milled.

Would it fit a MKIV set-up?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Tell us more about your rear brake caliber carrier that you're having milled.

Would it fit a MKIV set-up?

Did I mention something for the rear? :confused: The pic I posted is for installing a Boxster caliper over a 2-piece 300x25 MM rotor on a VR6 knuckle up front, but I do have something in the pipleine for the rear. :D I'm going to ditch the 1" rear wheel spacers & gain MK4 stub axles, bearings, hubs, rotors, carriers, calipers... :eek:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
And we went out to Sacramento Raceway yesterday after work & got some 1/4 mile numbers. I launched in 1st gear & don't slam into each gear, this is my daily driver & I want to be nice to it. Best time was 14.658 @ 94.757 MPH with a 2.278 60 FT time.

Here is the Video my wife took:

GTI TDI Run 5, 14.658 @ 94.757 MPH, YouTube Video

And here is one from the back window facing Ken with his VNT17/22 ALH Golf:

GTI TDI Run 5, 14.658 @ 94.757 MPH, YouTube Video

And the slip:

The fastest trap was 95.255 MPH on a 14.721 sec run with a 2.351 60 FT time. Here are the videos of that:

GTI TDI Run 3, 14.721 @ 95.255 MPH, YouTube Video

and the rooftop vid:

GTI TDI Run 3, 14.721 @ 95.255 MPH, YouTube Video

And the slip:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Those are some very respectable times, especially for 50+ MPG. I'm sure some better tires could chip away at that 60' time. Also, if you can shift any faster it will help more than you'd think :)

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Don't like my granny shifting? :D I guess it is very slow! :eek:

http://youtu.be/Dtkjdl5Oc-8

:p
When I took my first Rabbit GTI to the track it ran like an 18 second 1/4 mile. After a bit of practice and learning to shift fast with minimal clutch use I was able to get it into the mid to low 16's with no other changes. I doubt it would be that drastic in this case, but every bit helps. :)

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
When I took my first Rabbit GTI to the track it ran like an 18 second 1/4 mile. After a bit of practice and learning to shift fast with minimal clutch use I was able to get it into the mid to low 16's with no other changes. I doubt it would be that drastic in this case, but every bit helps. :)
I'm guessing a trans with under 230K miles would be nice too - don't want to break the poor thing.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Had an opportunity this weekend to get some good pics of the Turbo-FMIC boost routing. It's sandwiched in there so tight It's typically difficult to see. With the K-Frame, axles, and motor mount out - it's easy to see. :D

And here with the motor mount bracket removed:

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Just wanted to chime in and say this car is great. Really top notch work. Any updates?

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to chime in and say this car is great. Really top notch work. Any updates?

Thanks! And yes, though not much… Back in July I took it on a 5,200 mile road-trip to Colorado & then Canada. I am babying the clutch because it slips any time I hammer on it & it needs to last a while. I have not done much to it since the full suspension rebuild & brakes other than drive it. I have put over 21,000 miles on it since all the power upgrades & over 12,000 miles on the suspension/brakes and it is treating me very well. My focus has shifted because my Wife & I bought a house. It needs a ton of work since the previous owners trashed the place a little. Once we get the carpet installed and move more of the stuff where it belongs I will be able to use the much bigger (3-car) garage it has. :D I do plan to upgrade the clutch & install a 6-speed once I have had tome to rebuild savings and get the Garage cleaned up. I may even get really ambitious and assemble the other AHU I have with the Rosten rods & ASV pistons I have had for a while. :eek: Until then, I will just commute in it and be extremely happy with the 60 MPG it has been delivering. :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Frankencar, the BV43's compressor inlet is 1.75" OD? What size is the compressor's outlet?

I've finally pulled the trigger on a BV43.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Perfect, Thanks

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm almost sure it's 1.75" for both... it's been a while though. I haven't looked at mine since I installed it almost 2 years and 40,000 miles ago. :D And yes - it is teeny. I don't even want to think of what the velocity is when it's making 26PSI at 4500RPM... lol.