05 jetta key, airbag, engine questions

Dieselsabound

TDI
02 jetta 230k, 00 jetta 430k
So I just bought another tdi from an insurance auction. I'm pretty sure I overpaid for it and it ended up being an automatic not a manual but I'm stuck with it now, so I have a few questions about it.
1. The keys were not included with the car.Would I be able to send the computer out and get the immobilizer chip deleted then just use any replacement key/switch? Or is there more to it than that? I also have an 02with a bad immobilizer, are the computers the same? Also is there any way to "hotwire" the car to make sure it even runs before I go through that trouble and find out it's junk now? I know it probably won't be much cheaper than going to the dealership and getting a key made but if the car ends up having more wrong with it than is worth fixing I'll probably just pull the engine to run a massive air compressor that's been on my project list for a while.
2. Where do I find the engine codes? I know my '00 and '02 are ALH engines but this one looks like it's a bit different. Its a bit harder to do research on when I can't figure out which engine to read up on lol
3. How hard is it to replace the side curtain airbags? Are there any modules that need reset or anything? I'm sure I'll have to change the seat to replace that airbag but are the ones in the roof easily replaceable? And can I just go get some out of a junkyard and slap in there or is there more to it than that?
The only physical damage on the far is it wrinkled the passenger side front fender and a crease on the door from opening it into the mangled fender. I hate to condemn it to parts over that but I'm just not totally sure what I'm doing quite yet, so any input would be helpful. Thanks!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Computers are very different. 05 has the BEW motor (assuming this is an actual 05 mkiv and not a 05 1/2 mkv). At least that has the better 5 speed auto than the crappy 4sp.

You can order keys based on VIN# and then relearn the car to them. Probably cheaper than getting the immo deleted. You will need vagtacho, etc to pull the code from the cluster to relearn.

I can't help you too much with the rest unfortunately

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
2. There is a number stamped somewhere, but I would try an online VIN decoder or look for the sticker in the trunk. Unless you suspect the motor is not factory.
3. Airbag systems are darn tricky to service, deep research required. I've read that if they deploye you need to replace the bags and the control.

Dieselsabound

TDI
02 jetta 230k, 00 jetta 430k
Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to send a computer to have the immobilizer deleted? I'm still on the fence as to fix it or part it out but either way the first step would have to be to get it running.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Rocketchip or Malone. RC is in PA, can be hard to get ahold of sometimes, but very good.
Nevada's recommendation good as well.