What did you do to your MKIV today?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Got the 1.8T rotors resurfaced and the first few coats on the calipers and finally properly secured the 1.9 engine cover with some 2.0 cover rubber grommets. Next will be fitting the new-to-me battery cover. It’s already been touched up with a fresh coat of paint. Just needs to be put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Changed the oil. Changed just the oil in the 5th gear cap of the transaxle (well, what went into it wasn't quite new, but it has to have been better than the fluid in there that hasn't changed since new).

That's the good news. The bad news is the left front strut looks like it had an internal detonation (stupid Konis - great struts but Koni doesn't believe in corrosion protection) and the left inner CV boot is torn. I'll get those tomorrow.

Cheers,

PH

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I went to DMV yesterday and got my registration. Just ordered suspension install kit,beef on a budget springs,and other parts for front struts and rear shock install from IDParts. I should get my Sachs struts and shocks tomorrow-got those on eBay for about $165. Tired of going over bumps and feels like not having front suspension:mad:... next week is NYSI time, need to make appointment on Friday on my day off....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Bought a set of Bosch Icon Clearmax 365 wipers at Advance-$15.99 each online at Advance. Need to stop by DMV tomorrow and see why I haven't received my registration renewal yet. Usually get it about 4-6 weeks before it expires. Expires in 2 weeks on a Sunday....
:mad::mad::mad:-took the passenger wiper back to Advance for another one-was streaking at top and chattering already, worse than the one I originally replaced....

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Helped a friend change the G68 speed sensor on his wife's wagon, in his frustration he pulled the wires out of the temp sensor... No repair wires nearby, so I did the next best thing.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Inspected my turbo thinking my oil leak was coming from it based on the amount of oil on the charge pipe, turns out it was not the problem, check for play and could feel no play in any direction.

Ended up pulling the valve cover again and found that it appears the entire length or the rear portion was leaking (changed gasket a month ago), so cleaned everything up and sealed the corners around cam. Short test drive looks like I may have fixed it this time. Hopefully at least.

Decided to go ahead and do the 5 light brake light mod. Can’t stand having the lenses doing nothing when it’s such an easy mod. Thanks to whomever it was that posted that mod the other day.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Went to Kraftwerke today so Chris could replace a noisy alternator pulley in IBW. Checked in on my '99.5 Golf, which looks like this:

Middle of the heater core replacement.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sad thing is I had the blend door foam replaced last year. Then the heater core started to leak. So here we are again.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Did the 5 brake light mod ...man that was super easy! However, for some reason, the driver side light did not have a opening for the bulb. I read somewhere else that you could use a 1 1/8 spade blade to make the hole. So I tried it and it broke NOT in the shape of a circle [emoji35]. That’s why the additional light looks a little weird., or maybe it’s just the angle. Well, I can live with that!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yesterday, I picked up an MFA cluster from a mk4 GTI, so I'm going to see if I can get it to work with my 2003 (and see about adjusting the tachometer scaling, per another thread on here with the same cluster). If it has needle staging, I might just put it in the Golf instead!
I've often wondered if this is possible. Like, with VAG-TACHO, could one simply write the EEPROM of a TDI MFA cluster to the gas one, swap the overlays, and there's your TDI MFA cluster?

As for what I did today: In the midst of my turbo R&R, 5sp. swap, timing belt, stereo install, MFA cluster swap, driver seat airbag swap saga....today was wiring day (didn't have much "play" time): Figured out the wiring for the 5sp. swap to get reverse and clutch switch operational (I thought there was going to be a LOT more with the TCU/ECU but really - just join two wires at the TCU and then move one wire on the ECU?)

Getting the damn driver-side wiper off took more time than the wiring in the engine compartment.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Changed the oil. Changed just the oil in the 5th gear cap of the transaxle (well, what went into it wasn't quite new, but it has to have been better than the fluid in there that hasn't changed since new).
Did you do the 5th gear oiling mod? After having my trans apart and seeing how 5th never gets fresh oil - I'll do it to every one I get. If 5th looses oil, it won't get any additional unless the trans is topped up again. 2.5 liters from empty now.
I read somewhere else that you could use a 1 1/8 spade blade to make the hole. So I tried it and it broke NOT in the shape of a circle
I would not have expected a spade bit to work - you need a hole saw.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Spent yesterday replacing the left side strut and half shaft as noted above. Tuesday (2 days ago) I had ordered the boot needed from a [tdi club respected vendor], beat their deadline, paid the next day delivery, found that they didn't ship until yesterday. Good thing I had a spare half-shaft on hand and didn't need to wait.

I'll have to go back in anyway. The springs are on borrowed time. The factory coating doesn't last and mine are over 20 years old with ample surface rust. I would have replaced them, but I finally got around to opening the box from Rockauto I ordered nearly 7 years ago, and found the front springs I thought I ordered are really rear springs. What a bunch of screw-ups. I think Rockauto's greatest handicap is that their own catalog is full of garbage. You can't trust application information. The best you'd be able to do is cross reference part numbers from the manufacturer's own catalog. Next best is the OEM part numbers. But really, you are taking your chances by relying on them. Sheesh.

Anyway, I have a car ready to go, unless a spring breaks.

Cheers,

PH

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think Rockauto's greatest handicap is that their own catalog is full of garbage. You can't trust application information. The best you'd be able to do is cross reference part numbers from the manufacturer's own catalog. Next best is the OEM part numbers. But really, you are taking your chances by relying on them. Sheesh.
See my signature on rockauto :)

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Did you do the 5th gear oiling mod? After having my trans apart and seeing how 5th never gets fresh oil - I'll do it to every one I get. If 5th looses oil, it won't get any additional unless the trans is topped up again. 2.5 liters from empty now.

I would not have expected a spade bit to work - you need a hole saw.

What is the 5th gear oiling mod? I did a ratio change on my 5th gear and would have done that at that time but never heard or seen it.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The 5th gear oiling mod is drilling a hole down near the bottom of the web of the wall separating the 5th gear from the rest of the transmission, allowing oil to move between the two compartments if the level is lower than the top of the dividing wall.

I've seen a couple threads about it, but don't have one to link at the moment.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Finally got around to doing the 5 brake light mod on the '01! Wife was not impressed. smh

I did that years ago when I put in LEDs. The first one's caused the glowplug light to illuminate, so I got others that are guaranteed to work with VW's and used the first one in the fog sockets.

I notice a big difference at night as they throw a lot of red on whatever is behind me.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
The 5th gear oiling mod is drilling a hole down near the bottom of the web of the wall separating the 5th gear from the rest of the transmission, allowing oil to move between the two compartments if the level is lower than the top of the dividing wall.

I finally found a thread on it, seems to be mixed opinions on the validity of doing the mod. If I’ve got it out I’d probably do it. Until that point I’ll just make sure I’ve got a good fill on it.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think some pictures are missing but here is the main thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3087033

I never realized that 5th gear ends up having the oil trapped during a fluid change and that the cross-over hole is too high that it only refills when the trans is completely full. During my frankentranny build with a Peloquin LSD, I could see what people were talking about and did the modification. I'm going to do my 03 ASAP.
Normally it takes just under 2 liters of fluid to do a change - with 5th empty, it takes 2.5l.

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
Chased a pulley/belt chirp that follows engine rotation. Ruled out serp belt circuit, so something in the lower timing belt path is suspected. Inconclusive results probing around the upper TB area with cover removed and a tube to the ear. 65k and 5 years since last belt job so it’s had a good life.

Anyone ever use an INA kit? Mfr part # INA-5300082100. I’m looking to piece together a quality kit on the cheap since I already have various parts (bolts, seals, etc.). Spending extra $ on parts I don’t need isn’t justifiable for me this time around. Also looking at a Saleri water pump.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Got my first 600+ mile fillup. WOOHOO!

Side note: after replacing the timing belt, throttle response and fuel economy both seem to have improved. That makes me a happy camper.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I went for a sport drive last night on freshly paved, tight and curvy two-lane blacktop. With all the recent suspension upgrades, the wagon is a lot of fun to drive.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Just ordered all my suspension parts so they will be here in Rome for me to start installing them in 10 days. Can’t wait to get it done and see how drives when finished!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got my first 600+ mile fillup. WOOHOO!
Side note: after replacing the timing belt, throttle response and fuel economy both seem to have improved. That makes me a happy camper.
You must be filling up pretty early (no ventectomy?). I can hit 700 every tank with my 03 and it is averaging 43MPGs. I am sure it'll do 800 based on the 17 gallon capacity.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
You must be filling up pretty early (no ventectomy?).
I did the ventectomy, but don't fill to the top of the fill neck. I stop when the pump clicks off. Also, I don't want to risk running out of fuel. So I fill up at the first hash mark (1/8 tank?).

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did the ventectomy, but don't fill to the top of the fill neck. I stop when the pump clicks off. Also, I don't want to risk running out of fuel. So I fill up at the first hash mark (1/8 tank?).
Ahh - I fill to the brim and run it as low as possible every single tank :) Always have, always will. I could hit 800 easy on the 13 passat. Both the 03 and 04 have hit 725. I do get a little nervous after the low fuel light comes on, but I know I can do at least 50 miles after it comes on (should be about 90 really).

kidflyr

"Behind the Redwood Curtain" Boulder Creek, CA
TDI
2003 Golf ALH
Finally, some LSD progress!

Finally had an opportunity to make some progress on my transmission seal refresh/Wavetrac install/5th gear oiling mod and 5th gear change. I had Swaintech coat the ring gear and 0.719 5th gear set peko poly moly (PPM). Took the subframe with me to the machine shop to pop out the subframe bushings, brought everything home and got started on reassembly.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Changed out the engine air filter and cabin filter today (Mann Filters).

The old filters looked pretty dirty and I could not remember the last time they were changed so I did them needed or not and I would say it definitely needed doing (this time I was even more organized and wrote down the service date and odometer reading of the filter change).

Hoping for better MPG's and at least 5 more HP! ;-)

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I relocated the fog light harness/relay to the stock location, next to my relay for the lift pump. I'm amazed I got it working. I had to cobble together a bunch of old wiring from old relay blocks, and even trim the power spade on the relay itself with a dremel. Ugh. BUT it is working, and I'm hoping over time it stays that way.

Oh, and cleaned/swept the garage before that. A no-wind, low 50s day here in Cheyenne, so had to take advantage of that! Feels nicer in there now for sure.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I filled my tires with air, hooked up the trailer and loaded my quad, and spent a nice sunny cold day riding the frozen swamps of Michigan.