Chris Farnham (3193) passes away, 3/8/15

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I offer my condolences to his family for his passing. I got to know Chris and will always remember what a fine and giving individual he was.

I bought a new Passat from Chris last October during a business trip back East. When I was about an hour from the dealership on Friday night, he had my new Passat parked in front of the dealership and a guy looking at a used Jeep plowed into the new car and about totaled it. I arrived, and Chris was speechless. :eek:

We worked on a deal for a new Passat at another dealership in Maryland on Saturday morning and I got a similar car, but had to drive one of his new ones to the dealership in trade. I had a loaned Dealer plate for the trip home and sent it back to him that next week.

Chris handled the mess as good as anyone could have and made me feel great. In subsequent weeks, we laughed over that crazy car sale and really had a great friendship going. I am so sad over hearing about his loss. He was an exceptional person and very giving of himself without wanting anything back in return.

The Club has lost a great friend.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Wow. Never dealt with him but again, everything I read about him was positive. I generally don't like car salesmen, but I feel that I would have liked him. Rest in peace, Chris.

SundanceGS

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition (bought back), 2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Totaled), 2013 Audi Q7 TDI (current)
I never met Chris or bought a car from him... But from everything I've read, I sure wish I had gotten the chance to.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
WOW Sad news... huge lost for our community & deepest condolences to his family

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I am speechless ,....I just talked with him over pm on 2/12/15 and have purchased a couple cars from him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends during this difficult time.

Chris was a great car salesman....but more importantly I think he was a great person. We used to always talk about how he lived in Glen Burnie, MD at one time.

I remember the first time I bought a car from him and his hilarious ring tone on his cell phone. I will miss him and this is a big loss to the forum as well.

I knew he had health issues a while back but his passing comes as a surprise to me. This makes me very sad.

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
Ditto to all the moving words said above.
I purchased my TDI from Chris after he picked me up at 7AM on a Sunday morning at the Philly airport / DEC 21......No Lie. (It was the car he had ordered for YARNY who was transferring to the UK)
We used his Jetta as the office..... during our two plus hours together I kept telling myself what a great MAN.
You know the type....after a half hour you've known him for years.
I am truly saddened to hear of his passing.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Please pass well wishes for fond memories to his family.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
awesome individual, flew in from Houston to pickup my 13 Passat spent several hours together, my brother, Chris and I ate all the pretzels before we left the dealership. Encounter etched in my brain. Knew every aspect of the car and related it well. "fahrvergnugen' took a hit Sunday

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Chris will be missed. His caring attitude towards members of TDIClub was always appreciated. I never had a chance to meet him but was glad fro those he helped.

Please pass my condolences to his family.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I'm unfamiliar with who he may be, but agree its sad to read about a great loss to this great community. May you be looking down from above, waving with Leonard Nimoy "live long and prosper" to the members and vehicles of this forum. Best wishes to the Family, this would be a cool thread to have printed and displayed at the ceromony to show, not only the love from his close family and friends who will be there, but his connection to the TDI community across the states and how many have come together to show their thoughts and condolences..

I'll put a few miles on my TDI today and let my turbo sing the song of 18psi in memory of our loss.

ratsnest

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf, 2000 Golf
It's sad to lose such a nice guy.

I bought my first brand-new car from Chris in 2012. I still speak of my experience to friends because service at that level is a thing of legend. I took the train up from DC the day after Thanksgiving, Chris picked me up from the train station, fed me, and worked out a great deal. I didn't pull out of the dealership until well after 11pm because he sent the car back to the detailer three times.

He will be missed.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Truly a major loss. We got a Golf from him, and I sent lots of other folks his way. I'm sorry to hear this news.

TD

TDI
2006VW Touareg, 2013 Beetle convertible
Very sorry to learn this news. Chris was great in person and his posts most appreciated. My condolences to his family.

tsundoku

TDI
2014 JSW
I bought my first TDI from Chris last August. It was also my first new car purchase and I was nervous about the process, but from the moment I first spoke to Chris on the phone, I knew everything was going to be fine. He was an amazing person and I'm very sad to hear this news.

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Very sorry to hear about this. Prayers sent to his family. We bought our Passat from him and I really liked how he handled the transaction.

vpoc

TDI
2006 Jetta B & B 2002 Jetta GLS BLue & Beige
Chris

I went to pick up my car today from service at Burlington VW and as I always do, went around the corner to say hello to Chris only to find out that he had died yesterday. How sad. He was such a good guy. I will miss him.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
So sorry to hear this news. Chris was such a nice person and worked to help so many people here. I hope his family is aware of how revered he is by so many members of this forum. Best wishes to the family and so sorry for their loss.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Never met Chris but he was always on the forums to make a good deal.

Sorry to hear this loss.

skimsu

TDI
None, yet.
This is awful news. I am new to the TDI world, but Chris was incredibly helpful walking me through my decision. Seemed like a stand up guy. He had ordered a Golf Sportwagen for me... lost in the ether now, I suppose. Hard to imagine finding a better person to deal with now.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
Wow... I bought two cars from Chris, and had heard from him just 3 weeks ago. I knew he had health issues, but didn't think he was in any danger. What a good guy he was. Damn.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Very sad news. Condolences to his family.
RIP CHRIS. You will be missed.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
It was a pleasure doing business with him and I'm sure he will be missed. My condolences to his family.

yerny

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SEL
An honorable salesman

Chris was by far the best VW representative for buyers; he brought passion, honesty, and honor to a job that is not always held in high regards. Chris jumped through hoops to get me the exact car i wanted and when i came down on orders overseas, he verified my warranty would not be covered by VW and had no issue that i had to cancel. He found a new owner in a matter of weeks and he's one happy camper. All because of Chris.

My condolences to Chris' family. He positively impacted so many peoples lives in this community and he will be missed.

Respectfully,
Bryan

ahlcar

Vendor , w/Business number
A friend

I just heard yesterday that Chris is gone. We have been friends and joke swappers for 10 years. I have bought more tdi's from him than I can count. An honest man in a sometimes ruthless industry. He told me his health was a scary and I did not expect him to leave so soon for the higher ground where tdi's do not have filters, power tunes are encouraged, and the discounts are the deepest. Thank you Chris from down here for the good qualities and the great laughs.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Sorry to read this sad news. Never met Chris but did email him. Great guy and had planed to do business with him later in the year. Rest In Piece. Condolences to his family and friends.