rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
dieselfuel said:
Wow, dude! You're having some tough luck lately.
Tell me about it. Fuel problems and now a deer. Not my week!

My quote for the same work before that deer hit me was $900, including tax. I'm going to go ahead and have the front third of my car painted during the insurance claim work. I'll definitely need a driver's side fender and maybe a front bumper due to a lot of deer hair. My grille got deer boogers on it too. Yuck. I have a new Oettinger grille, so that doesn't matter. I plan to install the grille before it gets painted, so that the auto-body place can get it aligned and flush.

I don't think my hood or headlight is damaged, though the alignment of the headlight is not quite right. Assessor is due to come out Monday.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, the deer hit is a blessing in disguise. I wasn't sure how I could pull off getting the front third of my Jetta re-painted with my wife's blessing. Now I have a reason.

No, I did not hit the deer on purpose. That stupid deer ran into me; I didn't run into it.

Last edited:

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
I saw you today, I was in a Red 4runner getting off exit 8 of I84, gave ya the thumps up, you might not have seen me. BTW i ran over a deer in mine, i have no idea how i jumped i, but it was dead for a minute or too, and i didnt see him, no visual damage but changing the oil was nasty with the deer guts, and the floor behind the passenger seat got a little tweaked up, but now its fixed.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
1tdi said:
I saw you today, I was in a Red 4runner getting off exit 8 of I84, gave ya the thumps up, you might not have seen me. BTW i ran over a deer in mine, i have no idea how i jumped i, but it was dead for a minute or too, and i didnt see him, no visual damage but changing the oil was nasty with the deer guts, and the floor behind the passenger seat got a little tweaked up, but now its fixed.
Yes, I did see you at the last minute. As I lifted my head, I saw your "thumps up" and nodded at you in appreciation before you turned off. I figured you either liked my Enkei wheels or you where a TDI enthusiast, and you saw my "Yes, it's a Diesel" TDIClub.com license plate holder.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
I bet the tabs on the top of the headlight are broken.
You're right, IBW. One of the tabs is cracked, and it's pushed inward. I've got my documentation in hopes the appraiser (he/she is coming Monday) will allow me to buy a new set. I took the battery and it's holder out to see what other damage there might be hidden. The R32 headlight cover and one of its plastic rivits is broke. The bumper has some cracks, so I'm hoping that I get a new one. My deductible is only $100, and I'm going to try and insist on VAG parts only, except for the headlights.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Commerce specified used parts for my car because of its age. Not what it got.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
rocketeer928 said:
Yes, I did see you at the last minute. As I lifted my head, I saw your "thumps up" and nodded at you in appreciation before you turned off. I figured you either liked my Enkei wheels or you where a TDI enthusiast, and you saw my "Yes, it's a Diesel" TDIClub.com license plate holder.

Where in CT are you?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
tothemax said:
Go for RC5... you will not regret it. Will put a huge smile on your face.
While talking with Jeff R. last night about the turbo and fueling problems I've been having lately, he told me that putting RC5 on my car with a CAT downpipe is a waste (or something like that). So, I'll probably have to do something about that soon, so that I can get the RC5 upgrade.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Thanks, $900 sounds like a fair price.

I had mine on ramps last weekend. It's really clean underneath, especially considering it's gone through 7 winters of salt.

Does yours have the notorious bubbling on the front fender wells from the faulty design of the yellow sound insulation between the fender and the fender cover?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
dieselfuel said:
Does yours have the notorious bubbling on the front fender wells from the faulty design of the yellow sound insulation between the fender and the fender cover?
No, because shortly after I purchased the car I followed the TSB and cut back the foam that causes that problem.

Last edited:
TDI
None
Rocketeer,

Sorry to hear about the deer mishap...glad to hear it wasn't worse!

What kind of oil accumulation do you get in you AG strainer? I want to get one of those dynaflow setups but was wondering if I'm going to run a long tube and loop it for oil collection or put an additional strainer in....guess it depends on the condition of the car's rings huh?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I would say there was a teaspoon or two within the strainer before I added the Dynaflow CCV, and I would guess that was with 5,000 miles of driving. At that rate, I would think I could empty the strainer at every 10,000 mile oil change.

Last edited:
TDI
None
With the DynaFlow installed, would you say there is considerably less? I may just get the CCV filter, run a longer hose snaking down around the oil cooler, then run the remainder to the intake....If the DF CCV does a good job of straining oil initially, I may not even do that....any thoughts?

PS the blue injectors/intake/valve cover looks awesome! Jealous!

rocketeer928 said:
I would say there was a teaspoon or two within the strainer before I added the Dynaflow CCV, and I would guess that was with 5,000 miles of driving. At that rate, I would think I could empty the strainer at every 10,000 mile oil change.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
With the DynaFlow installed, would you say there is considerably less?
I haven't had the Dynaflow CCV long enough to be able to answer that question. Sorry.

Last edited:

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I don't have the DF CCV, but here's another opinion:

Was surprised to see that DF CCV on r928's TDI with that strainer set up. I thinks it's overkill.

I have the same strainer set-up as r928. But, if I'd known about the DF CCV, I'd have probablr went that route instead of the strainer set-up.

You won't get much through the CCV, but I believe the less oil going into the intake system, the better.

I'm sure the DF CCV would be fine all on it's own.

JMHO,

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
dieselfuel said:
Was surprised to see that DF CCV on r928's TDI with that strainer set up. I thinks it's overkill.
Actually, that's my opinion as well. But, there is a reason. When using either the OEM CCV or Dynaflow CCV with the OMI turbo intake, the curvy plastic piece that goes from the CCV to the OMI is stretched beyond its limit. I can get it on, but I fear that it would just pop off while driving. Thus, I decided to keep the strainer set-up with the Dynaflow CCV.

Jon Fernandes said:
Hey dude, awesome build, I love your car. Where did you order your exhaust from?
Thanks. I'm not loving it at the moment. I'm having fueling and/or injection pump problems. I got the exhaust from www.IDParts.com

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
CAT-less 2½-inch Downpipe

I decided to go to a CAT-less 2½-inch Downpipe from IDParts for less exhaust restriction.

Grr!!! The CAT-less downpipe sent to me was 2¼ inches too short! Sent IBW an e-mail hoping to rectify the situation ASAP.

Last edited:

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
blacksheep said:
I always hate buying a fabbed up piece to find the "fit all" the wrong length!
to idparts credit rocket was a beta tester. So his pipe is/was a custom piece.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup! I made a 3-hour drive up to the fabricator's place for some fitment last year, and then 3-hours back to home.

Between the exhaust system and the rear stress bar, my diesel is the TDI Parts / ID Parts Special.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Going to the Shop on May 3

So, my Jetta TDI will be getting its front end fixed from the Bambi-bashing starting Monday, May 3. The auto body shop thinks they can at least get an OEM bumper cover and its molding out of my insurance company because aftermarket ones apparently don't fit correctly. I hope they are successful.

I'm having the shop re-paint the front third of the car, including both fenders and the hood. That will take care of most of the previous owners road rash, which will make me very happy.

I had to buy a new set of headlights and clear side markers, so as to
not get stuck with OEM looking ones. Earlier this year, I bought an aftermarket grille, so that will now get fitted and painted. Been told that I'll be without my car for a week or a little more.

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
how do you like your filter on your ccv set up. been thinking about adding one and kind of like the look of yours...

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Problem Solved with 17/22 Turbo & IP?

rocketeer928 said:
I've been having a lot of problems with my 17/22 turbo and Injection Pump. For complete details, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=278512
This past week I got my new Cat-less downpipe installed, and today I was able to focus a bit more on my fueling issue.

I performed the hammer mod while the adaptation value was set at 32700. Originally at 32700, the IQ was around 5.0 mg/str. With the hammer mod, I settled on an average of 3.6 mg/str at 32700.

Then I went out for a logging run and regular highway runs. I was able to run my Jetta in 3rd gear at WOT from 1500 rpm to about 5000 rpm without losing power at 4200 rpm. The downpipe was certainly a bit louder, but not terribly. Also, there was a little bit of smoke, but it was not billowing.

Next, on the highway at 55 mph or 60 mph in 5th gear, when I hit the accelerator at WOT, there was still a little hesitation, but nothing like before. When doing the same, but downshifting to 4th gear first, I experienced no problems with very good acceleration, and I got a good puff of smoke. I kind of felt bad because while slowing down and then going WOT a few times, I kept smoking a fellow Jetta owner in back of me, even though it was a gasser Jetta.

So, I'm not experiencing the same level of problems that I had when I first started this thread. My car is now responding well with those new PP764 nozzles, and I look forward to the future RC5 upgrade.

TDI Club is a great community of passionate diesel enthusiasts.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
In-Line Fuel Pressure Gauge

I installed a cheap 0 - 15 psi in-line fuel pressure gauge from Spectre via Summit Racing on the fuel inlet hose just prior to my CAT fuel filter under the hood. Turning the key to the on position without starting the engine has the PD Lift Pump producing 10 psi, which holds during the initial pumping and then goes down (thanks to my wife to help me figure that out). While the engine is at idle, the pressure maintains at 6½ psi. So, it seems to me that the PD Lift Pump is still working fine.

Last edited: