thesmileyone

TDI
2007 A3 s-tronic 140
Last edited:

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
It looks legit to me. sometimes they recondition them and then send them back out. you can take that serial number call Garrett and they'll tell you exactly what's up. Some of their turbos are in some foreign languages it just depends on where it comes from. Side note it does look like New Old Stock. As far as the scoring it looks like they did that during the balancing process. most of the time they remove pieces of the nut, but sometimes they have to remove material from the compressor wheel

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Just as a FYI, you can resize the pics right in imgur, just click the pencil on the image. Cant help you with the turbo though.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Looks fine to me. If you are talking about the grinding on the outside, its just removal of casting flaw. The cast iron is sand cast and then machined. If there is flash or an irregularity they will grind it off.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Having only purchased new Garrett turbos in the past, they were all etched on the boss that sticks out of the cold side, none of them had a plate attached covering where the previous factory information was. I believe someone mentioned tracing the serial number on the plate; if all the info matches it could be a factory rebuild.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Easier to get Chinese Holsets than Garretts, but the latter certainly are available and exist. In addition to the telltale signs to look out for that have already need stated, the other general principle to follow is the "If it (e.g. the price) seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Can't speak for the current case and not saying it is the case here, but something can "look" fine through pictures posted on the internet, though counterfeits have also gotten much harder to detect. If it really causes the OP to lose sleep over it, inquire of the serial number directly with Garrett and/or be prepared to confront the seller with the question - politely of course but firmly.