Are mount upgrades required for stage 2?

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
Hello all! I have a 06 TDI that I want to take to a stage 2 malone tune at some point and was wondering if I would have to, or if it is recommended to upgrade the pendulum mount to a billet mount and maybe even get a transmission mount insert or a whole new mount with a stiff insert from BFI. thank you!
- Dalon

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I guess he didn't like my reply via email :p

" So at what point would you recommend a billet pendulum mount and a billet transmission mount with stiffer inserts"

"Never"

I ran a stage 2 BFI dogbone insert on my 1.8T and it idled worse than an ALH. I'd consider going for the least aggressive dogbone upgrade you can find, and that's it.
cabin vibrations from heavy duty mounts will make you hate the car. I would rather tear a mount every few years than rattle my teeth out and feel every shift. If you want a race car, that another story and you should use a lighter platform, but don't ruin your daily with HD mounts.

Last edited:

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
I guess he didn't like my reply via email :p

" So at what point would you recommend a billet pendulum mount and a billet transmission mount with stiffer inserts"

"Never"

I ran a stage 2 BFI dogbone insert on my 1.8T and it idled worse than an ALH. I'd consider going for the least aggressive dogbone upgrade you can find, and that's it.
cabin vibrations from heavy duty mounts will make you hate the car. I would rather tear a mount every few years than rattle my teeth out and feel every shift. If you want a race car, that another story and you should use a lighter platform, but don't ruin your daily with HD mounts.
Haha I didn't mean to disrespect and im sorry if I did. Was just trying to get a wider opinion on the subject. You did just answer my question, I do plan on doing more intense upgrades later on and that's when the engine mount upgrades would come into play I guess. For now though with just stage 2 and it still being my daily, the extra vibrations would be very annoying lol. Thanks again, Owain.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Personally I'd run the softest mount you can find that keeps the engine from moving too much. Diesel vibration is a totally different animal than what you get from a gasser.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I'd get new mounts based on the fact that it says 183k in the sig. Just oem stuff.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I stuffed a couple chunks of 1/4" mudflap rubber on either side of the rear dogbone mount bushing. Had to push it together in the press to get the bolt to catch threads.

Rattles the dashboard now, I like it.
Gonna put a rod end bearing in the other end of it soon-ish because it still flops around more than I'd like.