pump fun....

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I can't tell from the parts how the pressure is built. I see a rotor with vanes - is that it? What's that dark plate in the middle right with the 4 sets of rollers (?)

Is this a 'swash plate' style pump?

Any wear that you can see?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
vane rotor pump, yes.... the dark circle is the cam roller holder that rotates via a pin interface with the timing piston, and as it rotates through it's timing range it effectively changes when the bumps on the camplate push the plunger in... a little bit of wear inside the housing from the cam roller holder rotation

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
That's a lot of parts.
There use to be a beer brewed in Oregon called Blitz...
yep, but still less than a mechanical pump... clean up takes a long time especially in this condition, used the gallon carb cleaner soak on this one because the deposits were so heavy... and believe it or not assembly takes less than thirty minutes from this point

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I got a pump back just like that from dfis when I didn't want to pay them to not honor their 1 year warranty. That's when I decided there wasn't any black magic inside there (unlike auto transmissions lol). They're fairly simple in and of themselves as long as you keep track of all the parts.
Jim, care to shed any light on calibration of the hub with respect to the plunger?

Sent from my mobile look-at device

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I got a pump back just like that from dfis when I didn't want to pay them to not honor their 1 year warranty. That's when I decided there wasn't any black magic inside there (unlike auto transmissions lol). They're fairly simple in and of themselves as long as you keep track of all the parts.
Jim, care to shed any light on calibration of the hub with respect to the plunger?

Sent from my mobile look-at device
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4455515

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
... as long as you keep track of all the parts.

Luckily, sometimes stuff like that will also include a few small spare parts.

It can be hard to tell which ones are spare when disassembling, the spares usually don't really make themselves apparent until reassembly is almost complete...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Luckily, sometimes stuff like that will also include a few small spare parts.
It can be hard to tell which ones are spare when disassembling, the spares usually don't really make themselves apparent until reassembly is almost complete...
hah! ... my pop told me stories of one of his uncles that when he had bolts left over from doing engine work he would just throw them inside the valve cover :eek:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I can't tell from the parts how the pressure is built. I see a rotor with vanes - is that it? What's that dark plate in the middle right with the 4 sets of rollers (?)

Is this a 'swash plate' style pump?

Any wear that you can see?
Not a swash plate.

Above and left of the four bolts in the lower right is the high pressure plunger standing on end. I fits in the center of that block to the immediate left of the four bolts.

The block is what the four injector pipes attach to on the far side.

To the right of the "B" embossed in the tray is the cam plate. You can make out the four bumps. It rotates and moves up and down on the rollers laid out above it that you mentioned. It rotates the high pressure plunger to select the cylinder and moves it up and down to down to do the actual injection.

The vane pump is the "lift" pump to supply fuel to the plunger.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
the spares usually don't really make themselves apparent until reassembly is almost complete...
lol I've never had anything left over when I do a big job, but I'm OCD about putting every bolt back into the threads after the part is removed.

so when I come back several years later to finish the job, there is no head scratching about which length bolt went where

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
wasn't any black magic inside there (unlike auto transmissions lol)
i used to thing the same about autos, so i bought myself an odyssey with a bad trans. no magic, actually pretty straight forward.

tried to acquire a CRV with a bad manual trans recently to learn about that, but the car is pretty far gone for me to invest any time into it. acquired an extra civic though to do an auto to manual swap on my '88 though.