Passat B5 afn syncro possibilities

MattiasP

TDI
1.9tdi, 2.5tdi
Hello!
First little history about how I got into tdi tuning. Some years ago I bought this Passat and at first I was very happy with it. At some point I found tdiclub and starter reading tdituning from you guys. Then I bought .280 nozzles and installed them in my car. After that I milled 1.8 flywheel to 5kg and installed 240mm clutch. Car accelerated only with 3200 rpm (afther that it went to limp mode) 8,2 seconds from 0-100km/h (0-62). Then I didnt know anything about remapping. Then I putted 12mm pumphead on it. After 3 weeks original turbo died. Next step was 1552 turbo. Then one rod decided that it wants to see daylight. Okay, I putted new engine in and started learning how to make software. Then I installed 1756 to my passat. With 1756 .280 nozzles and original pump I drag raced against my friends BMW E46 330d 184hp and beated him from standing start and from flying start. At some point I boughed 2.5tdi ael quattro which I converted to edc15 but I have driven with it over 2 years about 10 miles. So now I decided to sell it and take my Passat to the next level.

I have bought gtb2260vk turbo. I was wondering what would be maximum power with this turbo 10 or 11 mm pump, with delivery pump and with proper fmic? Is 280hp possible?
Should I port the head or/and put some modified gasoline cam in it (for me it is cheaper than buying tuning cam)?
What is the limiting factor in AFN engine? Rods?
Thank you for your advice.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Definitely port the head and get a PD130 inlet manifold - they open up the top end quite a bit. I recommend the Newman cam regrind. They regrind the lobes on your original cam to get 1mm more lift and better duration, which is much cheaper than a brand new one.
http://www.newman-cams.com The cam really works well with improved breathing.

Not sure what the 2260 will get you, but I think rods would be sensible at that power level, especially since you've already blown one out of the side! :D

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
I agree that the Newmans regrind will provide a very useful increase mid-range and top end. Also they are not expensive.

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Start from an awx/avf low end with matching head (alh/ahf?). Right now someone here on forum is doing it. Then your rods will be ok.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk