BEW turbo/intercooler system upgrade options?

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Been dealing with boost pressure issues with current stock system. These pipes/hoses appear to not last long before needing repair/replacement and would much rather go with regular tubing and hose system.

I have also seen some silicone turbo inlet pipes, that would seem to be a much heavier-duty alternative than the $300 pipe I now have to replace... which does not include the $400 the shop wants for labor.

Anyone know of an aftermarket silicone replacement for the turbo inlet pipe including tubing/hoses for the rest of the system?

For what it would cost just to replace the current turbo inlet pipe with stock part plus labor it would seem I could get a whole new system?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
This is kind of a continuation of your earlier thread so FYI next time add to the
original thread rather than start a new one.
My opinion is that the silicon hoses and tubing intakes are great when you want
or need increased airflow along with other mods but if your engine is stock then
keep the stock system. It works well and lasts many years.
I think you still have yet to determine what is actually going on and if you even have a leak.
A boost leak big enough to cause a CEL should be easy to find and correct, IMO.

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
This is a whole new subject... other thread is about diagnosing an issue this is about replacing the current system.

The design has so many connection points using either clips or hose clamps. I have had many Mercedes 300D turbo diesels and never had such issues.

I have a 2006 F350 diesel that the CAC system is all hose and tube... I can replace ALL hoses in the system with new SS clamps for less than it costs for one pipe in the VW system... much less than what it costs to replace the turbo inlet pipe!

This is a very poorly designed system that cannot handle much boost pressure, patched together with o-ring seals, clips etc. that are very expensive to replace and prone to failure.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
So what have you discovered in the last 16 hours to make you want to change it?
It seems you were trying to resolve a CEL. Is there evidence of a leak now?
I repeat that the stock intake is adequate if it hasn't been R&R'ed improperly.

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I have read many posts about these problematic parts and it would be very nice to just have simple hose and tube... and MUCH less expensive.

The cost for the replacement turbo intake pipe is $300 alone... plus it is a difficult task. Would much rather use the silicone aftermarket version if I had a choice between stock or silicone version... at least it would be one and done... plus probably less expensive.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Ok. I have run my own homebrewed silicone and tubing intake plumbing.
In my experience the problems with connecting aftermarket silicone parts
and round tubing are threefold:
1) You still need to interface with the factory turbo flanges and I/C connections.
2) There are clearance issues with round tubing and couplers in the tight engine quarters.
3) You have to prevent abrasion to the silicone and aluminum in tight quarters.

Mine was done in conjunction with aftermarket turbo, IM and I/C so the hassles were to be expected.
It still doesn't strike me as a more trouble-free system, though. Just sayin'. :)

Last edited:

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
$300 hose. $400 labor to replace a $300 hose? Stop shopping the dealer.

I take it this is the hose your talking about.

https://www.idparts.com/turbocharger-outlet-hose-a4-bew-vnt-17-p-602.html

Gates has the same hose for $90.

You could always replace the o rings and use ss screws.

No, that is not the "Turbo inlet pipe" as I have said...(in fact, the hose you listed isn't even for my car) which is the pipe from cold air intake box to the turbo, Part #1J0129654AS... the part is expensive regardless and labor intensive.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/turbo-inlet-hose/1j0129654as/

Last edited:

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Not to be negative but 400 to install that pipe seems pretty outrageous.. That's 4 hours of labor @ 100/hr... If you have a few screwdrivers and a jack why not just DIY in your driveway? unless theres something im not thinking about its a fairly straightforward replacement. Just trying to save you some cash but I think id at least check with another shop if it was mine.

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Not to be negative but 400 to install that pipe seems pretty outrageous.. That's 4 hours of labor @ 100/hr... If you have a few screwdrivers and a jack why not just DIY in your driveway? unless theres something im not thinking about its a fairly straightforward replacement. Just trying to save you some cash but I think id at least check with another shop if it was mine.

I have no problem doing the work myself and I have ordered the O-ring kit for all the pipes in the turbo/intercooler system. I will just take each apart and replace the o-rings, then after I'm done I will do a pressure test to verify no leaks.

I originally was going to have a shop do the work, as I have so much going on already.
The only reason I went the dealer was it is probably the least expensive shop in town... the other shop I have dealt with was very shady... and much more expensive than probably the dealer.

Yes, I can do much of this myself, but if I'm working a Friday, that's an extra $600, add Saturday too and it's an extra $1200... so for much of the work needed, I just think it is 'cheaper' to have a shop do the work vs myself.

Yes, I was not going to have the dealer do the work, as I have a friend who has a shop... but it is 35 miles away... again, this cuts into my working time and makes it very troublesome.

I am going to do this myself this weekend....

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The stock BEW intercooler tubing will hold a good deal of pressure. I run 24psi on a 17/22 turbo and had overboosting issues due to the stock MAP sensor still in use. Until I sorted it out I would peg the gauge at 35PSI (sustained). All stock tubing besides the turbo outlet. I installed oversized orings at every connection I could and installed set screws at the EGR connection (also with an oversized oring).

The only reason I upgraded everything was due to the inefficiency of the stock intercooler with my setup (IAT easily hitting 100 degrees over ambient).

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
If you haven't purchased a replacement Turbo Inlet Pipe here are a few options for you.
https://www.kermatdi.com/i-1083-ker...html#!year=2004||make=VOLKSWAGEN||model=JETTA
https://profidiesel.net/intake-manifolds-tip/30-custom-turbo-inlet-pipe-25-63mm-stainless-steel.html

This a silicone TIP, but the company is over in the UK, so you could email them and see how much it would be to get one shipped here. It's part number AH33 on this page.
http://sfsperformance.co.uk/prod_carkits.asp?make=volkswagen

Here are a few options from Darkside Developments.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...alloy-tip-pipe-for-mk4-platform-vehicles.html
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...rm-vehicles-for-use-with-70mm-maf-sensor.html
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-inlet-pipe-for-lhd-budget-turbo-kit.html

Otherwise I have my old TIP laying around somewhere after I upgraded.

Thank you so much for all the info... I will definitely be checking all this out!

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
The stock BEW intercooler tubing will hold a good deal of pressure. I run 24psi on a 17/22 turbo and had overboosting issues due to the stock MAP sensor still in use. Until I sorted it out I would peg the gauge at 35PSI (sustained). All stock tubing besides the turbo outlet. I installed oversized orings at every connection I could and installed set screws at the EGR connection (also with an oversized oring).

The only reason I upgraded everything was due to the inefficiency of the stock intercooler with my setup (IAT easily hitting 100 degrees over ambient).

Thank you for your post!
Could you tell me more about the oversized O-rings you used.
I bought the O-ring replacement kit online, but have not used it yet.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Thank you for your post!
Could you tell me more about the oversized O-rings you used.
I bought the O-ring replacement kit online, but have not used it yet.
It was trial and error 10 years ago! I ended up with a NAPA part number 1108 oring. (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MRD1108). I'm told it's for a dodge pickup? The only other source was the dealer for stock replacement seals.
These are very tight fitting. So tight that I needed to lube them up and squeeze the two tubes together in order to 'latch' the clips. They end up being one time use since the grease makes them swell. Never going to leak!
IIRC, they fit every connection but the two closest to the turbo, which are slightly smaller. I also had to fight with the final connection at the EGR before the doggie collar was invented. I drilled outside the sealing area and installed 3 setscrews to center and secure the tubing.

This picture was early on - I later installed allen head setscrews:

When I built the FMIC system I also switched over to a PD150/racepipe for the intake so no stock BEW tubes are being used.