NEW official RC signup thread.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
I wish I could have made it. :-(
Me too. And to think I started this whole little shindig rolling. Oh well...lemme head over to the West Coast thread and hop on the CA GTG bandwagon.

Glad everybody had a good time and got what they wanted!

EDIT: Added link to California RocketChip GTG thread.

aw

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver Golf GLS
milehigh, Let me know if you want to give my setup a try. With your PD, you should be able to add more power than I've got with just a chip upgrade.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I might take you up on that offer. I will have to find a good time. I am super busy right now and won't be back in town for two weeks after tomorrow.

Lane

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
Well, for those of us in Arizona, Nevada, et al, that were waiting for a California session, forget it. This post contains the reply Audi5000tdi received from Jeff via e-mail.

Guess I'm going Upsolute. RocketChip being supposedly better does me no good if I can't get it installed by a pro. I have an Upsolute rep right here in Phoenix.

Mike

EDIT: Corrected link to thread.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Dang... sorry I missed this. Been offline for a while and didn't notice this post. Already drove down to Boise and again to central Oregon in the last couple months. SLC/Tooele would have been just another walk in the park (+/- 15 hrs). Would have been nice to put some faces to names and do some brain pickin'. As I'm already RC'd, etc. it would have been a great 'sport' trip. Oh well, maybe another time.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
There is nothing official about this thread being a Rocketship thread unless JRmonster does all the posting and maintenance of the threads for the GTG, or unless JRMonster places a post on TDIclub stating that he has appointed you as an Agent to represent his business interests here on TDIclub for all to see with a DBA clause stating his intent.

Kerma, you've done wrong... You've pissed alot of people off in the West with hijacking the GTG that MikeM started. Then you blow sunshine up our A$$ with saying there's going to be a West Coast Chipping GTG, and Jeff flatly denies your claim, saying he's too damn busy.

I'm beginning to believe all the stuff posted about you on the "Not Quite Reality" board run by Mickey. Because your behavior supports their claims.

http://beethoven.beglobal.com/~mickey/forums/

BrianM

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS 5-speed, Loaded
Dude, you need to turn off the computer, walk outside and talk to a real person. There was no hijack as Jeff agreed to go to SLC... he wasn't forced. And he probably DID mention trying to do a CA visit at some point, then realized that there was too much work at this point to have it happen.

If you're the kind of person who believes crap posted on the internet about someone you've never met, then you deserve the bad reputation that your posts in this thread have earned you.

Now, I haven't had to ignore anyone on this forum yet.... how's it work.

Spudnik

TDI
'15 Passat SEL, '13 Passat SEL
WTH! We wanted a GTG with Kerma & RC. Kerma & RC worked out a schedule since THEY were providing the services. It was only NATURAL and APPROPRIATE for Kerma to coordinate the final details and confirm adequate interest for RC to make the flight out and ship all of his equipment. We all had a great time and love the mods. SO CHILL!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I've been trying to get Jeff out here for months, because there were a few locals who expressed an interest in getting RC'd. This GTG was for them. It seemed to be a success, we all enjoyed ourselves. Even Mickey made a cameo appearance with his big yellow schoolbus known as a Sprinter van..

Keep trying, he will come out to Cali. I had to keep hounding him for months before he finally agreed to come. It's worth the effort and wait.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
CHILL OUT! Charlie is a great guy and is almost willing to give the shirt of his back to help people out. Don't bag on someone that you haven't met. There is always another side to every story.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Jeff might want to have some time with his family too. If you would keep up with the Eastcoast forum you would see that for the last few weekends and a few to come he has been all over chipping. Cut the guy some slack. And now you should look into finding an Up dealer near you. I sure as heck wouldnt want you as a customer now that you have totally bad mouthed the company and other things. So have fun with your UP's chip.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
There is nothing official about this thread being a Rocketship thread unless JRmonster does all the posting and maintenance of the threads for the GTG, or unless JRMonster places a post on TDIclub stating that he has appointed you as an Agent to represent his business interests here on TDIclub for all to see with a DBA clause stating his intent.
Whoa. I put my toe in the water to see if there was interest. There was, and then Charlie offered his shop and took it upon himself to contact Jeff. Jeff's a busy guy, so I'd almost rather have Charlie post about Jeff's schedule, since Jeff seems to make a strafing run about every week or three, whereas Charlie's on several times a week.

Kerma, you've done wrong... You've pissed alot of people off in the West with hijacking the GTG that MikeM started. Then you blow sunshine up our A$$ with saying there's going to be a West Coast Chipping GTG, and Jeff flatly denies your claim, saying he's too damn busy.
Charlie didn't hijack it...I accepted his help, gratefully since he knows Jeff and I don't. It's obvious he had a struggle getting information out of Jeff, as we all do from time to time, because nothing was posted by either about the GTG for 2 weeks. Meanwhile, we were all begging to know the date for sure so we could get time off. Unfortunately, by the time Charlie got final word and passed it on, a lot of us could no longer get time off, or had weekend business, or whatever.

Actually, Charlie himself was so confident about the Cali GTG taking place that he advised that I wait for it. What motivation would Charlie have to do that, since he knew I'd be buying nozzles? If it was greed, wouldn't he want me up there at the SLC GTG, giving him money now instead of waiting?

I'm beginning to believe all the stuff posted about you on the "Not Quite Reality" board run by Mickey. Because your behavior supports their claims.
Audi, I've stopped in to NQR from time to time, and I think Mickey sounds convincing enough to be dangerous. On many subjects, he's clearly delusional. On the other hand, if you stay away from those "hot-button" subjects (most of all politics), he might be a good guy to have a beer with.

Please, don't turn this into a war. Jeff is too busy to pay attention to the western half of the country. Let's leave it at that, and not go pointing fingers all directions, looking for a scapegoat.

Mike

P.S. Speaking of your "authorized agent" talk, hell, I'd love it if Jeff and Charlie agreed to be "dealers" for each other, so it'd be much easier to get nozzles and chips done by the experts. I'm sure it would be much easier to drag Charlie to Vegas, Cali, or the NW than it would be to get Jeff out here. Charlie, that idea ever come up between you and Jeff?

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
Jeff might want to have some time with his family too. If you would keep up with the Eastcoast forum you would see that for the last few weekends and a few to come he has been all over chipping. Cut the guy some slack. And now you should look into finding an Up dealer near you. I sure as heck wouldnt want you as a customer now that you have totally bad mouthed the company and other things. So have fun with your UP's chip.
Exactly why I haven't been talking nasty about Jeff or his product. I don't know what Audi's e-mail to him said, but if it mentioned next spring, I don't understand why Jeff would refuse so early.

I know I wrote him about coming here next spring, and I specifically started the e-mail with "since I can't make it to the Salt Lake City GTG..." He wrote back "I will be attending Charlies SLC gtg this Saturday 10/29." Um...that didn't answer my question. Of course, when I responded with a nicer version of that, it apparently fell into the spam filter.

If I knew that and the rejection of Audi's Cali GTG were going to take place, I probably would have found a way to get a day or two off and driven to Salt Lake.

So I don't know what to think. But in the absence of another RocketChip GTG out here in the West, it's gonna have to be Upsolute. I've made no bones about that, and I know you were addressing Audi5000tdi.

Just wanted to make my stand clear, so I don't get lumped in with any "You bashed Jeff!" backlash.

Mike

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Jeff,

I am trying to find out about what your availability/scheduling is for a weekend on March 2006 in Los Angeles and possibly Sacramento or San Francisco. I 'd like to get about 10 to 12 folks needing chips in each city, so that we can employ your services.

I've placed a post on this here... trying to gauge the interest and organize such an event. Please let me know what you think, are you interested, and any other pertinent information that needs to be considered for a GTG like this, as well as if you can/will do it.

If you can and will do it, lets discuss minimums you need to book, then we can nail down a date and location to do so. What are your requirements to do a chipping/tuning GTG? Locations, amount of space, power supply, etc...

Thanking you in advance...

Audi 5000 TDI

Here is the email I sent to Jeff.... Proposed date, sometime in March... and all you folks are talking about him spending some time with family? Lets see, all of November, December, January, February, then we get to March... and he's booked 5 months out when the October Bash was down to the wire with final planning with what 4,5, 6 weeks of planning and arrangements?

Sorry, I don't buy it, not for one moment. You do business that way out here, and your competitors eat you alive. My gut feel is that Jeff has blown us off.... He said he's too busy, didn't offer any alternative dates, jsut encouraged us to send our ECU's in.

Bottom line.... here in California the public transportation system is poor to nonexistent. You cannot afford to be down and out without your car for 3 days while your ECU is Overnighted to Rocketchip, chipped, then Overnighted back. It makes me wonder if Jeff is too busy to handle all his overnight business.

Then what happens if somethings not right when he returns it to you and you can't get your car running? With electronics, that is always a possibility. A poor solder job, overheat something like a chip while soldering... it does happen.

No thanks... I need someone that can do it in person here, where I can drive in and drive out the same day. Hence the need for a chipping GTG.

I believe I have valid claims here... nothing was offered up as an alternative date, or month by Jeff...that indicates no compromise, and an unwillingness to want our business.

Case closed. I'll sit back and wait for Charlie to get Jeff out here... that'll be the day... by then we will probably all have Upsolute chips or someone elses, like Diesel Inside. Same service, going for $140 to 160 on Ebay, all day long.

A customer has got to have options. Monopolies are good for no one but the monopolist.

Mike_Parker

TDI
1999 White Jetta GL / 2003 grey Jetta GLS

I met Charlie Back in February when he volunteered to come down and help me and a friend replace our timing belts. Charlie did this for free and has always been around when I have called to get some help and assistance. He helped me find an injection pump for my car and let me use his vagcom when mine was dead to time it. I know Charlie and it is like my brother said, he'd give you the shirt off his back to help you out if he could. I will personally vouch for his character and his willingness to help people out, I have mutiple examples. I do believe the old adage about engaging your brain before engaging your mouth may have saved you here, just a thought :)

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
A customer has got to have options. Monopolies are good for no one but the monopolist.
Im sorry but I just have to LOL at the comment. Are you really calling Rocketchip a monopoly?
As far as the rest of your belly aching, just give it a rest for a while. Noone likes to hear a cronic belly acher. Well I know I don't. Jeff doesn't have to work around you since you don't want to send your ECU in like hundreds have in the past and will keep doing. Don't get me wrong though, I do see your point about you liking to have him do it in person. But like i said earlier that have been many TDI'ers that have sent in there ECU's and have not had any issues when it came back.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Do you think the Only thing Jeff does is TDI's???
When I talked to him yesterday He told me the gassers were wearing him out! He goes to several different speed shop's and does tunings on Gassers.
He also has 2 Teenage sons heavily involved in sports and when it gets to winter forget the weekends he engages in his Passion Snowmobileing.
So give it a break!!

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
Do you think the Only thing Jeff does is TDI's???
When I talked to him yesterday He told me the gassers were wearing him out! He goes to several different speed shop's and does tunings on Gassers.
He also has 2 Teenage sons heavily involved in sports and when it gets to winter forget the weekends he engages in his Passion Snowmobileing.
So give it a break!!
All the more reason why he needs some help. The most lucrative form of that help would be dealers, reselling his product. Yes, I know there's a service component, too, but not everybody has access to that, because he's so busy.

Engaging one or two people as dealers would keep people wanting his product off his back, so he could focus on the service component.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
Well if you think he needs a dealer, why dont you do it? If your going to keep compaining about it, you should pick it up. Then you will have everyone griping at you. Im just being the devil's advicate and throwing what your giving out back at you. I have nothing against what you're saying. I think it would be great if someone on the west coast that has a great knowledge of TDI's made a commitment and bought into Rocketchip. I just think you made your point and you can stop now. Give it time and I'm sure it will happen.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
Well if you think he needs a dealer, why dont you do it? If your going to keep compaining about it, you should pick it up. Then you will have everyone griping at you. Im just being the devil's advicate and throwing what your giving out back at you. I have nothing against what you're saying. I think it would be great if someone on the west coast that has a great knowledge of TDI's made a commitment and bought into Rocketchip. I just think you made your point and you can stop now. Give it time and I'm sure it will happen.
Have you been reading?

I don't feel that comfortable under the hood. If I did, I'd already have my car RC'd because I would have FedEx'd my ECU to Jeff long ago. Therein lies the paradox...most of the people complaining about the same thing as me WOULDN'T MAKE GOOD DEALERS! Would you want somebody who's not comfortable uninstalling/installing their own ECU RocketChipping your car?!?!

There are, however, plenty of good would-be dealers on this site, and I'm sure if they thought they had a chance of being a RC dealer or rep, they'd ask Jeff (and from what I hear, several have already approached him about the subject).

Jeff's too busy. It's causing problems for a lot of his potential customers, and a few (or at least one) current customers. How the hell does that become my problem?

And before you break out the "you're the only one complaining" strawman argument, go check a similar thread that somebody else started in the Performance Mods section. Plenty of people would rather have it done in person.

It's a simple problem with a simple solution. Jeff has a killer product, and not enough bandwidth to do it all himself. Get more bandwidth, and tapping someone as a dealer (not 10, or 100, or 1000, as people seem to repeatedly misunderstand, but ONE) is the most profitable way...no payroll to worry about. Do the math.

And you're not just "being the devil's advicate and throwing what your giving out back at you"...you're trying to play it off as my problem and therefore my solution. It's not just my problem.

Plenty of would-be customers are feeling frustrated (feel free to speak up, if you're still listening, would-be customers...I heard you earlier). It's Jeff's because he's the one trying to make money on this venture.

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but since you're not a part of Jeff's company, not a frustrated would-be RocketChip customer, and not even near the western half of the country, where the customers have the hardest time, why are you even trying to deflect this problem? It's Jeff's. You already have what you want (a RocketChip).

Mike