So Tired Of Replacing Rear Brake Calipers

94cobra2615

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Wagon
The problem comes from the inside, not the outside. On the A4 cars, the cable ends angle UP at the rear. And even though there is a little boot there, eventually it lets water run down the cable into the sheath, and it bottoms out at the lowest point and rusts them from the inside out.
Makes sense thanks for the info.....

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
A question about the sealing crush washers... Is it possible to re-use what's on the old caliper banjo bolts or should one be prepared with new ones? I've seen 2 sizes mentioned, with conflicting info: [FONT=&quot]10.1x16 and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]12.1x18 ... [/FONT]Which would be the correct ones for the back calipers?

Thanks,

Yuri

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've always used new ones, in a pinch most parts have some you can trim down.
If you happen to be unable to get anything, you can anneal the ones you have.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I reuse them all the time, as they are normally part of the line, aren't they? I thought Volkswagen just sold the whole hose with the washers and banjo bolt captive as an assembly.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Washers are replaceable and so is the bolt.
I recommend replacement for the washers and the bolt I reuse.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, ETKA doesn't know that number, and on the screen that shows the brake lines, there are no washers or bolts called out, and the rear lines clearly show the bolt captive in the end.

The part numbers are 1J0-611-763-AD and 764-AD. I only know this because I had to replace one once that some kid tried to replace a caliper on and mangled the bolt beyond and hope and I tried to buy just the bolt and couldn't.

Nice to know the aftermarket has a solution, even if it the picture it clearly looks like the bolts and washers that come packaged in aftermarket "rebuilt" caliper boxes (which we never use anyway).

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
so... should I just chance re-using the banjo bolts and washers that are on the car now? The calipers had been replaced once before (not by me), and I don't know how many times those washers will resist leaking...

Yuri

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi, 2011 wagen,2003 wagon,2013 wagen
I would modify the thread in that it doesn't matter regarding front or back; I have replaced many many front and rear calipers.

I typically use autozone calipers as they are guaranteed for "life"
so I just get new ones every year or so. They actually replace the
pads for free as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just picked up my son's car at my local guru's after a bunch of work, including re-indexing the rear calipers. He told me that the sometimes don't adjust or retract properly and you can re-index them by fully depressing the piston, cycling the parking brake lever, and stepping on the brake pedal something like 30 times. I don't know the exact procedure, but the soft pedal on my son's car is gone.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Got it backwards. First you step on the brakes several times and then you cycle the hand brake several times. If you cycle the hand brake first, you can end up with an E-Brake that does not release completely.