Injector tip soak? Injector bore (head) cleaning?

xjfish

TDI
01 Golf
(ALH) I'm going to throw in a "good" used set of manual injectors in my Auto car. Would it be a good idea to soak them in something to possibly loosen up any deposits in the nozzle area? I'm thinking I'll soak them is SeaFoam or something similiar, perhaps some diesel injector cleaner additive? Waste of time, leave them alone and run diesel purge once installed?

How about the hole in the head when they are removed? I've read wire or plastic bore brush but what about the debris potentially falling into cylinder? Close valves and blow it out? Disable fuel and crank over? Just vacuum out? Leave the bore alone?

...one more question. Purchased new sealing washers from metalman. Aftermarket and not perfect looking. Advice on getting them to seal the first time? Just torque down injector sufficient?

I'm going to make myself a ghetto injector slide hammer adapter here in the next couple days...

Thanks for any help. :D

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I just used a wrench where the injector retainer holds it and wiggle it back and forth until the injectors come out

And I have a set of auto injectors soaking in marvel mystery oil wrapped in blue shop towels in a ziplock bag... we'll see if anything comes off when I pull them out

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

xjfish

TDI
01 Golf
I decided to go ahead and soak the nozzles in "FVP Stay Tuned" (Similar to Seafoam) and a little bit of ATF. After a day of soaking, it looks to be working nicely. I think I will give them a gentle brushing with a softer bristle brush and spray off with solvent before installing. I don't see how this could hurt anything.

I did find some answers/suggestions to my other questions with some searching.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Not to be condescending here, but why do yall think nozzles sitting in anything, will "clean" them, v.s. the psi the injection pump sends through them? That stuff on the outside of the nozzles, is gonna re appear the first day of driving, and has no effect on spray pattern, etc. Unless im missing something, i really dont see it being worth anything, except your own peace of mind.

xjfish

TDI
01 Golf
Not to be condescending here, but why do yall think nozzles sitting in anything, will "clean" them, v.s. the psi the injection pump sends through them? That stuff on the outside of the nozzles, is gonna re appear the first day of driving, and has no effect on spray pattern, etc. Unless im missing something, i really dont see it being worth anything, except your own peace of mind.

Soften deposits in and around the nozzle bores? Soak is cleaning deposits on the sealing area without mechanical scraping. :cool: I agree with you, probably nothing significant.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I just didn't want them to rust or get junk inside...it was more for long term storage and the marvel was the closest to me, I don't think it'll harm them...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk