05 Golf tdi auto

Lubb

TDI
None Yet
Wanted to get some feedback from people who own this particular automatic transmission. I’m being told it’s a pretty reliable auto in comparison to other models. I was curious about the actual mileage put on the vehicle before solenoids needed replacing or the whole transmission needed rebuilt. I’m looking at an 05 Golf with 127,000 on it. I haven’t looked at it in person yet I’m just trying to get some feedback from people who have experience with it.
Thanks

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Fluid changes mean a lot, have they been done regularly? The life of them can be short or long, it all depends on maintenance, abuse and some luck.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I changed the ATF a few years ago @ 80K miles; have never had a problem with this Jatco 09A auto.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How many threads have you started? You may want to consolidate your questions so as to not cloud the responses you get. Seems most of your questions could be addressed in one thread. Just trying to make it easier to keep track of.

The Jatco slushbox is generally pretty decent, but occasionally will need solenoids, a valve body, or a temp sensor.

Lubb

TDI
None Yet
How many threads have you started? You may want to consolidate your questions so as to not cloud the responses you get. Seems most of your questions could be addressed in one thread. Just trying to make it easier to keep track of.
The Jatco slushbox is generally pretty decent, but occasionally will need solenoids, a valve body, or a temp sensor.
Sorry about that. I have got a lot of answers that only brought up more questions when I asked my original question in the 101 section. Thats when I decided to go more specific in the model specific forums. I like to research things heavily before any decision is made. I also utilize google heavily but when I can find specific answers thats when I turn to Forums. I apologize if this is not how members usually utilize this forum.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
One important thing - don't drive it if it starts acting up! I would never own an auto (other than a DSG), but I've had the misfortune of working on a 09a "Tip" behind a 1.8T GTI. Fluid changed at 100k with OEM from dealer, started acting up by 150 (hanging shifts when cold) but owner's kid kept driving. I did a fluid change and solenoid change (cobra transmissions) again with OEM with a little improvement. By that point it was hitting false neutral in 3rd and then slamming in hard enough to spin the tires. Did another fluid change with no improvement. He had done internal damage by that time. I bought a used one with TCM from someone and installed it - it also had internal damage (no codes, all sensors reading, no 3rd gear at all) and signs of recent repairs (most likely solenoids).

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Mine is at 170,000, original trans. Ive had it since 130,000.. Lately it started not shifting out of first when cold but once its warmed up its fine. Ive just been running it cause I have all the parts for the 5 spd swap laying in my garage anyway:) The car has had a stage 2 Malone tune since about 70,000, and approximately 5,000 ago it got a stage 4 setup. Still not slipping even under full power but the shifting is getting slowly worse. Actually not too bad a transmission. I was told by a vw mechanic before I bought It that I should run the other way, all i'll have is trouble but im glad I bought it. Been a great car.