Stub under accelerator pedal - Ok to remove?

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Hi. I did a auto->5-speed conversion on my 2003 wagon. I don't like the feel of the little stub switch under the accelerator pedal when I do WOT. My research indicates that the little stub, spring thing is only on the automatics.
I checked the accelerator pedal on my 5-speed sedan and it does not have the little stub thing.

Can I safely remove the little stub thing?

Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the whole pedal assembly is different, isn't it? Although you do not need to swap that over to make the car go, they are different part numbers.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
stub has nothing to do with the kickdown "detent" and is not spring loaded... it's a hard stop for the pedal so you don't hyper extend the pedal internals ... leave it or just replace the entire pedal with a manual unit... FYI: the electricals are identical between the auto and manual pedals, detent is a simple internal mechanism that just provides kickdown "feel"

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I am talking about the stub that is attached to the back of the pedal, not the stop on the floor of the car. When you push on it with your fingers, you can feel it compress in and then when you let go it springs back out.

The stop on the floor seems to be the same between the 5-speed and auto.

Does anyone know if I can remove the stub on the backside of the accelerator pedal? I think the stop on the floor of the car should stop the pedal from over-extending, but I am not sure?

oilhammer

TDI
Take it apart and see.

I have a pedal assembly from a manual trans car I will sell you cheap if you break it! :)

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
I can do that I suppose. Just trying to learn from other's mistakes. :) I will remove it and let you know what happens. Thx for the offer. We have like 20 MK4s at the local upull apart junkyard, so I am good there. One of the great things about these cars is how easy it is to get spare parts. :)

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I can do that I suppose. Just trying to learn from other's mistakes. :) I will remove it and let you know what happens. Thx for the offer. We have like 20 MK4s at the local upull apart junkyard, so I am good there. One of the great things about these cars is how easy it is to get spare parts. :)
You can say that again...from VA to TX I haven't went without being able to find parts...and the ALH cars are starting to show up in both auto and 5 speed, parts for the picking

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oilhammer

TDI
So if they are that easy to find, why even bother with the original query? I'd have already grabbed a manual pedal and had it put in the car! :p