GL vs GLS TDi?

bitterberry

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta (5-speed)
What's the difference between the GLS TDi and the GL TDi? The poor fellow that totalled his prompted me to ask that question.

I know my 99.5 TDi is a GL. At least that's what comes up with the VIN number.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
berries, standard equipment and available optional equipment differentiate the two models.

bitterberry

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta (5-speed)
/images/graemlins/wink.gif hehee

like what kind of differences and optional equipment? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Power mirrors, power windows, heated seats sometimes, leather sometimes... that kinda stuff... froofy stuff that breaks more often and costs more money to fix /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like my GL - but then its the only way I could get a 2 door golf... Too bad they didn't offer the GTI trim with a TDI motor, I woulda digged that... heated leather, two doors... hmmmmm (i'm way to busy to do an interior swap - also too poor)

bitterberry

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta (5-speed)
I want heated seats so bad. What are the chances I could install that in the driver's seat without costing a fortune? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
[ QUOTE ]
I want heated seats so bad. What are the chances I could install that in the driver's seat without costing a fortune? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on how luck you are at a junk yard.... IE find a totalled GLS with heated seats and the same seat covering that you have and get the front seat and the wiring harness/plugs that you need... IIRC there have been quite a few conversions here and at Vortex to use as a model/guide. (Check the upgrades forum down below power enhancements)

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It really depends on the year that you are comparing. For 2002 and earlier GL had manual windows, no center armrest, and a few other differences. The GLS had electric windows and the center armrest.

On the Golf the GL is 2 door and the GLS is 4 door.

For 2003 and up I think that the Jetta gets a sunroof with GLS, where it was optional before that.

The differences aren't that huge. A friend has a 2000 Golf GL and I have a 2000 Golf GLS. The only differences that I ever notice are power windows and mirrors vs manual ones, 4 doors vs 2, and center armrest vs not having one. 4 doors is the big item that made me prefer getting a GLS.

alex

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
if you are just commuting get a GL, if you want leather and a sunroof, get the GLS they both come with power, cruise airbags abs and 4 wheel disc etc

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
[ QUOTE ]

On the Golf the GL is 2 door and the GLS is 4 door.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 2002, the Golf GL became available with 4 doors.

Nonnee211

TDI
Jetta TDI 2004 Wheatbeige
I suppose you are talking about the GL and GLS Jetta TDI?

We bought the GL with cloth seats. It comes with power windows, heated side view mirrors, cassette tape player and CD player. The O4 Jetta GL was upgraded this year from the 03 model. The dealership told only difference between the GL and GLS, is that the GLS you can get upgraded seats (leather and add cold weather heated seats package) moon roof and alloy wheels. Also, you can pay extra for OnStar in the GLS.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Before 2003 in terms of equipment:

the GL has cloth interior
Manual windows
Manual mirrors
Tape Player

The GLS
Power everything
Velour interior
Double Din (mid 2002)
optional Luxury Package, Cold Weather Package, & Leather Package (Jetta only).

From 2003
the GL still has cloth interior and got the Power Windows, Power mirrors, CD player....

The GLS got the Luxury Package as standard equipment

Luxury Package is Sunroof & Alloy Wheels
Cold Weather Package is Heated Seats & front washer nozzles
Leather....leather interior, multifunction steering wheel, & cold weather package

I probably missed something...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
It's not the cheapest way to go, but VW does sell the heating elements which are designed to replace the ones sewn into the seats covers.

They are designed to stick to the seat cushion and work around the seat-cover fabric attaching bars.

The connectors are all there.

You still need to run the wiring for the switches and bring power to the seat itself.

L

zeratul

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD JETTA GLS, GALACTIC BLUE, 5 SPD,
MINOR NOTE- GLS ON THE 04 JETTA ALSO INVOLVES THE LEATHER SHIFT NOB AND THE SEATS GAIN AN ADDITIONAL VECTOR OF MOTION(I THINK). IS THE MONSOON SYSTEM ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE GL?

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitterberry: For the money and time savings, I would suggest you check out autoleathers.com and pick out a suitable leather interior with heated seats.

It usually runs about $1000 to do the entire interior. Less $$ if you want to only have the front seats redone.

It is only money!

xanctus

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf, 01+black
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad they didn't offer the GTI trim with a TDI motor, I woulda digged that... heated leather, two doors...

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you about this...imagine if we also can get all the goodies from the GTIs...

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
I have a Golf gl 03 all leather monsoon stereo power windows not power seats though

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
Gayle you commented on something 14 and a half years old next time look at the last comment date if its over a year old leave it be and make a new thread

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I am glad he did.
I always thought my Jetta was a GL.
I did a quick search and checked 3 sites for a vin number.
First one indicated I had a Golf. Hmmm :confused:
Next 2 both indicated a Jetta GLS.
Never knew the vin included the level.