Weird DPF regen algorithm captured by VAGDPF app.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
I was monitoring my DPF just before leaving work and it's soot level was almost close to 24g(thats the max limit when ECU triggers regen).As expected,regen stsrted as soon as soot level reached 24g.I got home while regen was happening and soot level came down only to 17.93g and had to shut down the engine in the middle of the regen.
Next morning i was expecting that regen would start as soon as my engine reaches operating temp.But that did not happen and soot level started going up just normally??VAGDPF app captured it as its still showing regen duration minutes and a red time glass display which means regen cycle has not finished yet.I have driven close to 60 kms with couple of full engine warmup cycles but ECU never resumed that interrupted regen.I have a feeling that ECU will only reinitiate the regen after soot level reaches again to the max level of 24g.
On the other hand my BMW X5 diesel,resumes any interrupted regen on the next engine start as soon as coolant temp reaches 60 deg Celsius.
I am attaching screenshots from all the stages from 1 to 6.Is it normal and has anybody noticed it?Thanks

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
From my 2010 non EPA compliant Jetta, this was par for the course.

Yet another reason long highway runs are great, they get everything up to temp and the DPF will balance out under passive regens and soot won't climb beyond a point, then you'll just hit the mileage threshold for the regens.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Update:
So after around 80 kms,ECU resumed regen again as soon as soot level reached 21g(normally it starts at 24g) and it lasted around 20 mins.
Another thing i noticed that engine always does post-injection 1 under part throttle condition even if DPF is not regerating,even if engine,dpf and catalytic converter are at normal operating temp. I think this post injection-1 is a emissions related phenomenon and it kills fuel economy.

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
amitsekhon,

I'm curious about your statement in post #4 about the rollback. PM if you are able.
Thanks

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
hi, amitsekhon, I'm kinda curious as too how many many miles your car has done? would you tell me please or pm me if you don't want it on open forum. the reason for asking is I moniter my dpf figures and wanted too do a comparison. many thanks paul.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
hi, amitsekhon, I'm kinda curious as too how many many miles your car has done? would you tell me please or pm me if you don't want it on open forum. the reason for asking is I moniter my dpf figures and wanted too do a comparison. many thanks paul.

Hi Paul, My car had around 6100kms(3800 miles) at the time when above screenshot was taken.Car's mileage is displayed on the upper right corner of vagdpf.You will find in my VAGDPF screenshots.

Last edited:

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
Hi, amitsekhon, many thanks for the reply, I must be going blind ,I missed the screen shot info on the mileage, interesting I use rosstech vcds as a main use, but I also have a vag dpf mine wont read the ash/oil level . I got in touch with the guy who made the ap he doesn't know why it doesn't show on mine probably just the engine code he thinks, I have about 56000 on my golf mk6 and the ash reading is 27 grams .the rest of what your vagdpf shows mimics mine ,except my soot mass measured never gets higher than -6,7 grams normaly drops too -.50 then starts a regen which normaly takes 10-15 mins.thanks paul.

alvisnigals

TDI
2.0TDI CUPA
I'm very new to this forum so please accept my apologies if my post somehow doesn't meet a standard :)
I'm monitoring my DPF regen with VAG DPF app and I have noticed some strange behavior.. On steady motorway drive ~100km/h soot is slowly accumulated around 55mg/km, and then suddenly soot mass jumps from 25% to 88% and the regeneration is triggered and this happens every 40 - 60km
Has anyone encountered similar issue? Any idea what could be wrong?
No fault codes or warning lights yet.