www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 6th, 2017, 07:20   #16
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

What are you rebutting? HHO is not a cleaner burning fuel or more sulfur in fuel is not cleaner burning?

As for the black smoke, I see that as over fueling. I don't know how rigs run, but if their fuel mapping is not optimized, you'll get that belch. You don't see the black smoke when they're cruising, usually just under initial load.

My wagon will do the same when I jump on it.

-Todd
ToddA1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 07:31   #17
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Higher sulfur fuel is dirtier burning fuel regardless of where and how it's burned. There's a reason it's been mandated out. Ultra low sulfur gasoline is just around the corner.
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:01   #18
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
It is not a cleaner burning fuel. Just think of the thick black smoke you used to see out of any and all diesel trucks. There may still be some out there that belch, but it's a lot better now.
thats what you say seeing from the eye. what does that have to do with anything. wasnt almost all that smoke, whether extra or not, just about 'inert'. so what does an eye have to do with the bottom line. and now a days how many emissions and controls are on these diesels, how is any of it 'really' better. its just the illusion society has put there, you see you believe. its easier than knowing more. and right in front of you, and your senses,(supposedly). also take for instance gas vehicles, you almost all times see no smoke, does that mean anything? look at all the emissions and then thru the years how many controls have been added.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:41   #19
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

ULSD even made my 1991 normally aspirated indirect injected diesel Jetta run cleaner. No, not scientific, but less visible smoke and less smell. And that was from the LSD stuff, which came around here in the late '80s. Before that, it was really awful stuff. THAT is where all the nasty black diesel images came from.
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:28   #20
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Home heating oil may not have the lubricity package they add to ULSD either... Many additive packages are mixed in the tanker truck (ie the dye itself for instance). If the batch is only going to be used as heating oil there's no reason to worry about lubricity.

Back to the on road / off road thing, most truck stops sell untaxed marked fuel for refrigeration trucks to use in their coolers, and for trucks with APUs, etc. It would be completely legal to purchase that for use in a sailboat and will be cheaper still.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old September 6th, 2017, 16:06   #21
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Higher sulfur fuel is dirtier burning fuel regardless of where and how it's burned. There's a reason it's been mandated out. Ultra low sulfur gasoline is just around the corner.

I can agree with this, although I don't know what it has to do with the thread. The thread did go off track, though....

I doubt the OP's sailboat is emissions checked.

-Todd
ToddA1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:51   #22
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

All new engines sold here, from chainsaws to marine engines, have an emissions compliance label. They may not get "checked" after the fact, but they do need to meet certain requirements before sale.

And the quality of fuel is a key part of these engines being able to meet these requirements.

Lead as an octane enhancer went away from gasoline because it ruined catalysts. Sulfur has gone away (well, down to a VERY low level) from diesel because it ruined DPFs. Sulfur will be dropping in gasoline because those engines will be getting particle filters soon as well.

Keep in mind, this does not necessarily mean engines that do not have such devices cannot run on the newer fuels. But, in some cases (like alcohol content in newer gasolines) can have a detrimental effect on certain fuel system components that were not necessarily designed to deal with it. In some cases it becomes a constant problem, in other cases it is a one-time remedy and it is not likely to become a problem ever again.
Old September 14th, 2017, 12:04   #23
tbones
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
I can agree with this, although I don't know what it has to do with the thread. The thread did go off track, though....
I doubt the OP's sailboat is emissions checked.
-Todd
Hi gang,
No, my sailboat is not omissions checked…
Thanks for the continued thread… I am enjoying reading people's comments here!
regards Steve
tbones is offline   Reply With Quote