www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 11th, 2008, 11:43   #1
diesel300dmanual

Default Blend Door Repair Secret '96 Passat B4V

In the event that any others struggle with the poor heat (lukewarm) issue:

Symptoms: foam pieces blowing out of the vents
Problem: The blend doors have lost their foam backing

Note: i found that it wasn't necessary to remove the dash or HVAC.

1. Remove the center console which surrounds the shifter
2. Drop the knee bar down which runs the entire width of the car (2 screws at either end)
3. Remove the stereo and get a screwdriver in there to release two clips that hold the HVAC front cover on. By releasing them, it will begin to split.
4. On the bottom of the exposed HVAC (roughly in back of where the storage bin was on the console), take out the lower bolt
5. Put a wire tie in through that exposed hole (where the bolt came out) and cinch the HVAC cover back towards the seats, exposing the compartment where both blend doors are.
6. Using a mirror and light, notice how many of the holes in the doors have lost some or all their foam.
7. Using sticky back felt (88 cents per sheet at Walmart), cut to size and apply to each door. NOTE: you can adjust the doors by using the control knobs. One adjust the forward (closest to engine) door with the AC-Heat control. The other adjusts with the air selection knob (vent, floor, defrost, etc).

I was able to get my entire hand in there. After ruining a couple of pieces of felt due to it sticking to random things, I was able to get it repaired.

Car heats wonderful now.

Thanks to everyone for their help

Diesel Don
96 Passat TDI B4V 228k
84 300DT 288k
84 300DT 214k Mint
82 300DT Manual Conversion 230k
diesel300dmanual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:21   #2
r90sKirk
Veteran Member

Don,

You are the man, thanks for the tip! It's especially helpful for us "dying breed" B4V owners, there's getting to be less and less of us out here.

Ya might want to post this in the A3/B4 section though or maybe a moderator could move it?

Thanks again,

Kirk
Old November 30th, 2012, 18:34   #3
Rob_from_Elkmont
Veteran Member

This is a great procedure. Worked well on my 97 Passat. One note on the Passat. There was no need to remove the radio. The clips were accessable with the front console removed.

Rob
2005 Scion Xa (70k)
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
Rob_from_Elkmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:15   #4
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Thanks!!!!! It's supposed to be decent weather here this weekend,so a good time to try. Do you think the HVAC foil tape would work as well? Maybe I'll grab both on my trip to store this morning.
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:25   #5
schultp
Veteran Member

I'm posting a link to this post over in the A3/B4 forum. Anybody know if this method will also work on the A3 cars?

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual
schultp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 20:24   #6
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I needed to remove the emergency brake boot,and 2 screws that hold the console in rear seat area also. I recommend using zip tie to cinch the cover back,then cut the extra pc off flush-I figured a wire might poke my skin or eye when I looked into the blend door-I was able to peer into the box w/ light-both doors were cleaned of foam..... I tried to use the HVAC tape-but that didn't work too well.I then broke open the 5 pack of adhesive felt sheets-didn't even have to use a whole sheet..... I cut a pc. 3"x7" -that fit the first door pretty good,so I test fit it on the inner door-seemed to be ok,so pulled back out and peeled the paper of back-took a couple tries,but eventually got it on inner door-probably could have been cut another 1/8"-1/4" wider,but all holes were covered.First door was piece of cake. Couldn't tell what was causing the heat control door to bind-ended up not working w/ knob,so I rigged a wire w/ loop over arm on bottom(cable popped off of bottom)-cinched it a little w/ needle nose vise grips,then ran the wire into passenger side a little,then twisted a loop.Now the cold/hot is hand control.Got it back together,but haven't tried it yet-need to do a couple more things to car,so I left it in garage.I will post back.....
Old December 5th, 2012, 16:00   #7
dr2152

Worked great!!! This was an easy fix. I'll have heat when I head north next week.
dr2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 21:04   #8
Rickstah
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/45/41

If I can follow these directions it will be a great load off my mind, wasn't looking forward to the whole dash removal!

One thing, is the adhesive on the felt pads supposed to resist the hot air in there? The heater in my A3 could make the air almost too hot for the skin, just wondering if it will retain its integrity, or melt? I'm hopeful! So is the final consensus the felt pads from Walmart will work as well as anything, in this particular situation?
Old December 5th, 2012, 21:37   #9
Mcgink
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2152 View Post
Worked great!!! This was an easy fix. I'll have heat when I head north next week.
I'm curious if the blend door fix had a positive impact on your A/C temps as well. I'm thinking that it should improve both since the temp door either blocks off the heater core or sends air through it.

Last edited by Mcgink; December 5th, 2012 at 21:40.
Mcgink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:12   #10
0die
Veteran Member

Cool....my "new" 96 Passat has barely warm heat...didn't know what was up til now.
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 16:47   #11
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgink View Post
I'm curious if the blend door fix had a positive impact on your A/C temps as well. I'm thinking that it should improve both since the temp door either blocks off the heater core or sends air through it.
I forgot to try it Tuesday when temps got warm,but my A/C temps seemed ok this past summer.
Old December 6th, 2012, 16:52   #12
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstah View Post
If I can follow these directions it will be a great load off my mind, wasn't looking forward to the whole dash removal!

One thing, is the adhesive on the felt pads supposed to resist the hot air in there? The heater in my A3 could make the air almost too hot for the skin, just wondering if it will retain its integrity, or melt? I'm hopeful! So is the final consensus the felt pads from Walmart will work as well as anything, in this particular situation?
Time will tell on the adhesive-but I have 4 more felt sheets if it doesn't hold up. I tried to put the HVAC foil tape in there,but it stuck together when I tried to place it inside. I guess I could've tried some smaller strips-
Old December 16th, 2012, 19:18   #13
Mcgink
Veteran Member

I started this job today on "I-Red" and took some pics that I'll post here in this thread for others to see.

After you remove the center console and knee-bar you can see the screw and clip. (marked red)

And the Driver-side clip

And the clips slide outward from the center

When you pull the cover from the bottom, you can see the mode door (three holes)

Unfortunately, the space you see here is about all you get to work with. I removed the four 8mm bolts (2 each side) from the upper dash to allow the cover to be tweeked open a smidge more. A helper to pull upward/rearward on the lower middle dash gave me enough to get my hand/arm into the heater blend door.

There's not a real good way to get a pic of the blend door so I snapped the pic below by sticking the camera into the access area. You can look at it with a flashlight, but the repair is done kind of blindly by hand /feel.

Last edited by Mcgink; December 16th, 2012 at 21:10.
Old December 18th, 2012, 16:17   #14
Mcgink
Veteran Member

I finished this today. On the blend door, I ended up doing a vertical layer and then a horizontal layer since the seems in the 2" strips were over the holes in the flap. I cut the stips ~2" longer for the horizontal layer, I wanted them to wrap around and stick to the back of the flap on each side. I was able to get my fingers around the right side to make it stick. I couldn't find a way to get my fingers/hand to wrap the left side around so I made a Gizmo

It actually worked pretty well at getting the strips wrapped around and stuck to the back of the flap on the left side. I think if I do another one (The Green B4), I will try the 1 piece felt though. Alignment is prob tougher, but easier only having to apply 1 piece.

The mode door was pretty easy since it's right behind the access area.
Old January 14th, 2013, 16:50   #15
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

This is going on the to-do list for the B4. Heat is pretty good but I do have to shut the dash vents off manually.