www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 10th, 2009, 11:03   #16
honda_vtec2
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5L-5.2L/100km 70%city/25%hwy/5%driveway

Excellent article. Thanks Corrado and Chitty for the pic links.
Old August 28th, 2009, 14:02   #17
myke_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW97JettaTDI
how do i get a hold of giles?
Giles' contact info - this guy can build a pump too. My 1.6 is stupid fast with his super pump on it. WOW!

http://www.performancediesel.ca/about.htm
myke_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 22:49   #18
tdibeliever
Veteran Member

An update:
With an 11mm pump, a larger K03/K04 turbo boosting to around 20lbs, stock intercooler, PP520 injectors, TT downpipe and exhaust, and a factory JB ECU with the IQ set to about 5.4 the car runs quite well. I have yet to see any smoke from the tail during the day. When I leave work there's never anyone behind me to see what's there. I'm going to advance the timing a bit more and raise the IQ a bit and see what happens.
'55 IH R-122
-currently shopping for "The Next One"
tdibeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:13   #19
honda_vtec2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdibeliever
An update:
With an 11mm pump, a larger K03/K04 turbo boosting to around 20lbs, stock intercooler, PP520 injectors, TT downpipe and exhaust, and a factory JB ECU with the IQ set to about 5.4 the car runs quite well. I have yet to see any smoke from the tail during the day. When I leave work there's never anyone behind me to see what's there. I'm going to advance the timing a bit more and raise the IQ a bit and see what happens.
Hey sounds like you got a nice setup. Would it be possible for you to send me a log of your car with VCDS, groups 15, 11, 4 and 3. I'm doing some logging/tweak tests and would be nice to use your setup as a comparison. When you are WOT, do you have puffs of black smoke?.
Old September 17th, 2009, 20:33   #20
tdibeliever
Veteran Member

No puffs at all. I can get some data for you in the next day or two. I have to swap to the tuned ECU and get logs for Kerma as well. I guess I can do it all in the same morning. PM me your Email and I'll send 'em to you directly once I make them.
'55 IH R-122
-currently shopping for "The Next One"
tdibeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:18   #21
honda_vtec2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdibeliever
No puffs at all. I can get some data for you in the next day or two. I have to swap to the tuned ECU and get logs for Kerma as well. I guess I can do it all in the same morning. PM me your Email and I'll send 'em to you directly once I make them.
pm sent, thanks
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:05   #22
kooyajerms
grocery getter

pump installed. Wasn't very fun going to the bolt shop twice. Guessing the lengths and all that. Timing the sprocket is SUPER sensitive. A bit of a frustration TB job, but it's fine.

-I blistered my fingers getting the electrical pins out, had a pin tool even, still not fun.
-The way the stock bolts go into the pump and through the brackets are opposite to the way I did it. I found my long bolts could not thread through the pump starting from driverside. (1z/ahu pumps are not threaded, alh is)

-I used a 1.5mm hardened washer for the shim. Bolt shop didn't have a 2mm. I tried 3mm but the shimming brought the sprocket WAY too close to the rear timing belt cover. Especially because the cover needed the washer and the clamp (top front which I removed the nut and put the bolt in) to be attached. If I didn't have to clamp down the rear cover, I would have been happy, but it stuck out too much.

-belt is tracking with maybe less than 1mm on the edge of the sprocket. Not my favorite place to be, but if I spaced it the 2mm, I would have been rubbing against the rear (sheetmetal) timing belt cover. Wierd.

These are the pieces I had to get other than the machined parts and the alh plug.

2 8x1.25 35mm hardened bolts (top front with a flanged nut and the bottom without a flanged nut (no way to get that on)
1 8x1.25 40mm hardened bolt (top rear with a flanged nut) longer because of the fender washer.
3 1.5mm hardened shims (the picture shows 3mm which I changed out)

1 fender washer with 3mm washer under it)to keep the rear timing belt cover (the sheet metal) from rattling. Tried two but the bottom one was rubbing against the sprocket.

kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 17:59   #23
jjordan11
Veteran Member

We did this for our Westfalia project, I'm running into a problem though. I have injector lines for the ALH and they don't seem to fit. Has anybody done this with ALH lines, if not does anybody have a set of AHU/1Z injector lines for sale ?

Jon
Old May 15th, 2010, 21:38   #24
G60ING
Veteran Member

You need AHU/1Z lines. Get them used because new they are $70-$100 each
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:45   #25
G60ING
Veteran Member

After learning about the AHH's injector pump being 11mm and the block being the same type of external waterpump block as the AHU I began poking around www.vagcat.com 's parts catalog. The injector pump's part number started with 038 just like a mk4 11m pump. This lead me to start looking at the cog gear, bracket and backing plate and these are all different part numbers.

The bracket: 028130147M
The gear: 028130111H 22 Euro
The Injector pump: 038130107J 2300 euro or 038130107JX 1105 euro most likely with a core charge

The site lists a different upper and lower timing belt cover but uses the same backing plate which has me a little puzzled. No matter as the backing plate and bracket are easy enough to have enlarged by a machinest.

The site also lists a different timing belt
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:52   #26
G60ING
Veteran Member

Fortunatly we have an AHH Passat in the USA with an enthusiast for an owner:
JFettig's Passat & pictures:

I'm betting that they used a wider belt to get a long enough belt life and all the cogs and associated parts are wider too.
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:39   #27
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Looks tasty, thicker everything! What do you think Frank, 11mm pump on a 1Z, stick with the 60K TB changes?
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:51   #28
G60ING
Veteran Member

If I had an 11mm pump on a 1z/AHU I would drop down to 50k belt changes or switch to the wider belt setup.
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:03   #29
kooyajerms
grocery getter

If I had only known about that AHH setup... Just wonder what the cost of the parts are. Hopefully it's not too bad being such a rare setup.
Old January 28th, 2011, 16:19   #30
G60ING
Veteran Member

Default ALH Injector Pump Swap Details from dieselgeek

Use www.7zap.com and look up the parts on the 1998 Passat. I used the site to look up parts for my turbo upgrade.