www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 11th, 2007, 09:37   #61
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Does your current cluster have 2 retaining screws (in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions) in the middle of the speedo and tach faces like this?

'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; July 11th, 2007 at 09:40.
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 13:47   #62
therabbittree
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B4 passat

No , none of my clusters have that setup all 3 clusteres 2 glxs and my tdi have no screws holding the faces on. I also have a 95 glx at another location im not sure on that cluster.
Thanks
deo
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:57   #63
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Chris and/or others,

I'm in the process of converting a GLX B4V to TDI. I really don't want to damage the TDI cluster but obviously see the need to use the tach face.

Also, would it make sense to snip out a section of the background over on the fuel/coolant side to cover the "unleaded fuel only" warning? If you have a printed overlay, did you keep the file used to print it? Was it just a high res scan or what? Is there someone out there that might produce a high quality sticker or aluminum overlay to just replace everything in the GLX so the TDI cluster can remain intact?

TIA,
Jon
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 13:05   #64
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

You won't be damaging the TDI cluster by using its tach face plate in the GLX cluster. Its very easy to restore it back to original condition should you desire.

Using a snipped rectangle from the GLX face plate might look good, although it actually might be more noticeable because of its "relief". Seems promising, though.

The "Unleaded Fuel Only" issue could also be addressed by using the TDI fuel/temp/MFA face plate in the GLX cluster and enlarging the LCD display window. But you would have a very hard time duplicating the factory appearance of that window. All 4 edges of the window are beautifully rolled out to contact the display screen. A sheet metal shop may be able to do it. I gave up on trying to do it myself. If you're willing to settle for a non quite stock appearance, you can always forego the rolled edges.

Its a lot easier to use a rectangular graphic, but the results depend on how closely you can match the black background. When you look closely at the face plates, you'll see that they are painted flat-black. I don't know how you duplicate the pigment-flecked flat look on a graphic, but just closely matching the greyscale gives pretty decent results. I've found that different printers produce somewhat different shades from the same chroma or hex number, so specifying a color is only a starting point. A greyscale somewhere in the range of #353535 to #555555 (don't remember the exact hue) worked for me. Lug Nut had good results with #455145. You can always take the opposite tack and make it MORE noticeable with a big "TDI" on it, using the factory font.

Your idea of a complete set of overlays would work best if it was template-sprayed rather than a lasered graphic. Not only would the flat black texture be harder to duplicate, so would the luminescent Dayglo red paint of the redline/empty markings.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio

Last edited by Chris Bell; September 6th, 2007 at 04:00.
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:12   #65
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Sent an email to this guy ( http://www.meistergaugefaces.com/htm...do_passat.html ), there might be some hope yet for a clean set of gauge faces for a TDI GLX without having to borrow much if anything from the valuable TDI cluster. I'll post back any information that I can gather. I'm not wanting anything too aftermarket looking and I think this might pull off the OE+ look.
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:45   #66
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Hopefully they have a TDI tach faceplate template already so you won't have to supply it.

Remember that you either need to replace the GLX front surround trim panel with the TDI equivalent or alter the GLX one to reflect the different warning light identification positions.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old September 6th, 2007, 13:20   #67
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Quote:
Remember that you either need to replace the GLX front surround trim panel with the TDI equivalent or alter the GLX one to reflect the different warning light identification positions.

Oh yeah, I guess I have to sideline the TDI cluster no matter what... Bummer, I hate to cannibalize good ( rare and valuable also come to mind ) parts, but progress happens somtimes with certain unavoidable costs involved...

Thanks for the reminder.
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:25   #68
trhaverstock

Default Can't find MFA connector online??

I can't find the 1HO-953-634 MFA connector online anywhere at World Impex, 1st VW Parts, etc in their search engines and can find most of the other parts. Is there a revised part number or does anyone have a spare to part with? I have most of the materials now and am close to ready to do the conversion.

Thanks! Todd 96 B4 167K miles

Last edited by trhaverstock; December 28th, 2007 at 09:16.
trhaverstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 20:25   #69
trhaverstock

Default Can't find MFA connector online??

Wow, I'm surprised no one has a hint for me on the last message from the other week. Let me know if anyone can lend a hand on that connector. One MFA cluster - waiting to get a goin'! Thanks! Todd
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:14   #70
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Try this link, there is no usage of the char 'O', it needs to be changed to the number '0' when searching.

Best of luck for the rest of the job, I took the easy route and bought a car that was all prewired for the cluster and had the MFA stalk but did swap the engine.

Curious if you come up with an elegant solution to the unleaded fuel only text, I'm still waiting to put something together for it. Contact cement on some matte photo paper might work well, no? Anyone have a suggestion for getting one small custom high quality decal made? I'd like it to just read TDI with correct lettering, chrome would be cool too.

http://worldimpex.com/search_by_part...53634&x=51&y=6
Old January 6th, 2008, 14:42   #71
vwestlife
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell
Does your current cluster have 2 retaining screws (in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions) in the middle of the speedo and tach faces like this?

The 1995 B4 cluster uses the screws on the gauge faces, and the speedometer starts at 10 MPH.

The 1996 and 1997 B4 clusters don't use the screws, and the speedometer starts at 0 MPH.
Old January 6th, 2008, 19:59   #72
trhaverstock

Good catch on the retaining screws! Before I tear the original cluster out, the cluster I have does have the screws on the front and my original TDI does not. Are they in any way interchangable or am I screwed on the tach and speedo dial as a result? -T
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:17   #73
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

The differences and coversion issues between the various cluster options are covered in the article. If yours is an early GLX cluster, it will require the most modification for proper tach and MIL function.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old January 12th, 2008, 21:02   #74
psst1997
Veteran Member

a good solution would be great for the cover up. If anyone perfects it let me know and print me one out!! i have the OEM font too if someone needs it to attempt to make something.
psst1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 21:09   #75
psst1997
Veteran Member

i havnt been on here in a while and dont think i ever mentioned a slight modification i did to the cluster that i have yet to see. With the other brand clusters all you have to do is change a film to alter the lcd colors, but on these they are completely different. I have all my interior lighting red and blue so i HAD to change the lcd color.

There was a lot of work to doing it but if you are skilled at soldering it shouldn't be a problem. Basically you have to remove every led from the board, every leg on the lcd's and strip the board pulling off the plastic peices. The lights are very small surface mount led's that tweezers are needed to handle. I was scared to death doing it but once it was dont and it worked i was thrilled!! Has anyone else attempted this?
psst1997 is offline   Reply With Quote