New (to me) TDI - 2015 GSW SEL (a Buyback)

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Just picked up a 2015 GSW TDI SEL. Bought it from a dealer in NH and she had 26,000 miles on her. Only flaws I could find were two small nicks in the paint on the rear door (I'll be taking care of those today). Drove her back to CT yesterday and I have to say that there is a hell of a difference in the ride and quality of the car compared to my youngest's 2014 Jetta SE and of course, my own 2006. I LIKE IT !! Ride was firm, handling was sporty, not uncomfortable (those 18" wheels and tires could be 17" and it would probably be way better), seating was very nice and supportive and that panoramic sunroof is awesome.

Car had phase 1 completed and I found I averaged 48 mpg on the drive home and I wasn't doing 55mph. Car rode nice, was relatively quiet and she appeared to have better power compared to my 2006.

Car was loaded with all the SEL goodies, and also came with TDI monster mats, trunk mat, bumper and door sill protectors, mud flaps, Drivers Assistance and the lighting Packages. Car also had brand new discs and pads at all four corners, as well as new Pirelli P7 tires (not a fan, Conti DSW's or bust !). She also had several other things done to her.

I paid $24,000 for her out the door and I am happy at the price point. And no, she wasn't certified. Dealer had 5 other buyback GSW SEL TDI's so I had my pick. However, there were two other couples looking at them. I think there were 7 or 9 buyback TDI's were on the lot. All in really nice condition, most had new tires and brakes, at the least.

So, anything I should be aware of with my new TDI? I guess I'll need to change out my oil supply, as I believe (still reading) the spec is different from my 2006, which will be for sale later today. I was using Mobil DELVAC 1 ESP oil for my 2006. Any oil brand suggestions for my 2015?

Anything else I should look out for? I intend to put a lot of miles on her, hopefully more than the 2006.

Thanks !

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Welcome to the GSW family! The oil should be VW 507 compliant. Total Quartz, Liqui Moly, Pentosin, Castrol and Mobil 1 all have products that meet this spec.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
I have quite a few gallons of Mobil DELVAC 1 ESP 5w40. Is this stuff 507 compliant and is it good for my new GSW?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What NH dealer? Glad to see they are tossing parts on these buy backs.

BTW who needs certified if that extended warranty is included.

Also comparing an Americanized stripped jetta to a golf its a step up no mater what then engine is under the hood.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Seacoast VW, ask for Mike (a friend of my son's). He is a straight shooter, tell him Scott sent you.

No extended warrantee (that I know of) on the used buyback cars. If there is, I need to know about it.

And yeah, the GSW is one heck of a ride !

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Another question. I filled up today and noticed my car has an Adblue filler neck next to the fuel neck. Do I have the EA288 (sp?) motor?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Seacoast VW, ask for Mike (a friend of my son's). He is a straight shooter, tell him Scott sent you.
No extended warrantee (that I know of) on the used buyback cars. If there is, I need to know about it.
We all have extended warranty to include all emissions and related components, turbo and fuel system. There should have been some paperwork with the car that talked about it. I can find a link to a pretty great explanation of how it works.

*Page 9 and 10 of the VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure

-----------------------------
Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from
the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.
At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the
extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000
miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of
the completion of Phase 2.
Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty
The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or
systems:
 The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel
Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors
and actuators
 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all
sensors and actuators
 The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR
temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors
and actuators
 The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality
sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other
than those related to the transmission.
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder
head, camshaft, and valve train
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable
taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any
existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved
in favor of the consumer.
-----------------------------

Another question. I filled up today and noticed my car has an Adblue filler neck next to the fuel neck. Do I have the EA288 (sp?) motor?
Yes you do.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mr. Rogers !! Located that emissions brochure in the paperwork. To bad the whole car warrantee didn't get extended too!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

We bought our '12 Passat from them, almost fell for the extended warranty sales pitch when talking to the finance guy, but was able to cancel it a day after we signed and got our money back. In hind sight we saved the 2K and are very happy for it.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
We bought our '12 Passat from them, almost fell for the extended warranty sales pitch when talking to the finance guy, but was able to cancel it a day after we signed and got our money back. In hind sight we saved the 2K and are very happy for it.
I had a very pleasant experience dealing with Seacoast VW and Mike P. We bought two cars that day, a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek @ Paps Subaru in S Portland ME and the GSW @ Seacoast in Greenland NH. Both dealerships had their stuff together and were very quick in completing the transaction. The Subaru was planned well in advance and took less than an hour to complete. The VW was a walk off the street, what do you have kinda of thing. I wasn't planning on getting a new (to me) car for a while as my 2006 Golf TDI was treating me well. My wife actually forced me to buy this car, I kid you not!! Anyway, met Mike, took a test drive and I was out of there within about 2 hours, including partial financing. Got all the paperwork from him, including the full accounting of all dealer performed service as the car was a previous lease vehicle.

Friday was a good day.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had a very pleasant experience dealing with Seacoast VW and Mike P. We bought two cars that day, a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek @ Paps Subaru in S Portland ME and the GSW @ Seacoast in Greenland NH. Both dealerships had their stuff together and were very quick in completing the transaction. The Subaru was planned well in advance and took less than an hour to complete. The VW was a walk off the street, what do you have kinda of thing. I wasn't planning on getting a new (to me) car for a while as my 2006 Golf TDI was treating me well. My wife actually forced me to buy this car, I kid you not!! Anyway, met Mike, took a test drive and I was out of there within about 2 hours, including partial financing. Got all the paperwork from him, including the full accounting of all dealer performed service as the car was a previous lease vehicle.
Friday was a good day.

*Pape Chevrolet/Subaru in So Po, my dad used to sell cars there way back in the day, 20+ years ago.

Glad you enjoyed your experince, enjoy the rides, you should be covered for all conditions, HWY cruiser, and snow bunny.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
Pape was very nice. And yes, We have the seasons covered. That and I have an 1984 Mil-spec M1009 diesel K5 Blazer in case the Zombie Apocalypse hits. I am prepared on all fronts !!