Newbie looking for tips and advice for replacing head gasket on 96 passat

TDI
96 Passat
provided my block isn't also warped, what are my options for resurfacing the block if it's also misshapen? would I need to pull it out and ship that out to Franko6 as well? I'm assuming any milling done to the block would need to be noted when decking the head as to make sure that the metrology remains correct with the measurements between the block, cylinders, head, pistons, and valves.

TDI
96 Passat
Thank you, Mark! It is nice to be appreciated. And also to you, Vanbcguy!

By the way, that is a really neat picture, with the record-player shiny valves, but what is the light beam coming from the bottom of the head? A flux generator?

Don't burn yourself on the pulse generator.

Moroza,

I have to disagree with you on a few points.

1. The cam alignment can actually take some 'abuse'. There is an about 1-2 degrees of positive movement on the cam that can improve hp. That has been proven with cams like our Stage II ALH and PD cams.

2. The usual reason that a warped head that is milled does not cause cam issues is that the warp is minimal and the cam caps have not been given proper clearance. We don't often mention this facet of cylinder head reconditioning, but the wear in the caps causes the top cam cap to wear egg-shaped. The cap contact face must be reduced to create proper cam clearance. This is one of the places that can cause insufficient oi pressure in the ALH/ AHU and previous OHC engines. But, adjusting cap clearances will also cause the cam to bind in a warped cylinder head when the correct .001"-.0015" cam cap clearances are maintained. We have seen cam alignment is sometimes warped as much as .006". Correct only the cam caps and you will burn the cam, usually at the #1 journal.

3. We do use the dealership for many items, as they are the only place to get genuine, however any of the vendors for VW, such as Kolbenschmidt, Victor Reinz, Nural and a myriad of others, we can get much better pricing for the exact same item. One of the items we buy aftermarket are head bolts, with thousands purchased; no issues.

4. Last, tooling... We provide tooling for purchase or rent. I suppose you could write a program to CNC a tool, but I think borrowing them works more time-efficiently. That does not mean we do not admire and employ CNC machines. We do and will be adding more machinery with announcement for 'Grand Opening', hopefully very soon.

Todd,

We have seen too many disasters when attempting to install bearings similar to a PD head in an ALH/AHU cylinder head. Although I believe it is possible to repair in that manner, we think by the time you get it right, the cost will dictate to junk the head. However, we have and continually do repair warped align bores with a custom-made align bore bar. Although you could probably get some company to set up with a align boring machine, it's usually around $250 for the setup and cut. Our cost is most typically under $100. The other problem is that the bar needed is smaller than what is generally used, so nobody has one. That is the reason for our custom align bar. We are only one of two I know who have one.

franko6 I'm sold on sending you the head if it needs to be resurfaced, you listed a price of "generally less than 100$", is that for the entire decking operation? does that include replacing valve seats? granted I could probably do those myself, but I just want to know what I can get done for what.

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
I remember reading about Febi bolts made in China, but I can't find the source and you shouldn't take that as anything more than a rumor. Just check the parts you buy to make sure.

TDI
96 Passat
hey guys,

Long story short, my potential career as a prison guard and the accompanying cross state commute has gotten the axe, so this car has been relegated to "fun spare time" project status, however I have been recently purchasing parts, bentley manual, glow plugs, VAGCOM, when I looked up head studs for he car on google, it took me to https://autoplicity.com/5417873-vic...MI-JePsqaW1QIVWVYNCh0v9wdWEAQYAiABEgICofD_BwE)

upon further investigation, these studs are not compatible for my vehicle,

I searched via year make and model, and came up with several unclear results, I'm not sure what to get, there are double ended thread bolts, and two other types including hex heads,

I was under the impression that the head studs were triple square bit, a double torx head type style, anyone want to help me out for looking for the appropriate victor reinz head bolt?

WVWGG83A9TE076546 is my VIN. I already tried calling a local VW dealer, explained perfectly to them what I needed, and they said they'd email me my info, they sent me an exploded engine diagram that is nice to look at but completely useless, now they wont pick up their phones :/

TDI
96 Passat
I also got my bentley and the VAGCOM cable in the mail today. Partscontainer eBay store shipped the wrong manual. only Gas engines for my car were listed :/

I'm communicating with the seller to get the right manual.

TDI
96 Passat
Bentley is the manual of choice. It's the "official" VW book and covers things in much more detail than a Haynes book.
I can't say what the head milling spec is. I believe valve head height comes in to it though.
Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Hey vanguy,
I ordered my bentley last week and it came fedex the other day. didn't have any info regarding my TDI, plenty of info for VR6 or 1.8 ct, but noTDI info.
I messaged the seller about it, and he replied with:
"We are truly sorry to hear that you didn't find what you needed in this book. I
have checked our catalogs, and they do list your model, so I'm not sure how to
help, to be honest" then he suggested I buy the CD ROM version?
is that what you have?
if not would you be able to fwd me a link to where you got your bentley factory manual??

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Ah, good question actually... I have the Bentley for both the A3 and the B3 platform as I've had both vehicles. The A3 one has the AAZ/AHU info while the B3 one has all the chassis / wiring / brake / suspension etc stuff specific to the car.

I was surprised at how limited the B3 manual was compared to the A3 one. Still waaaaay better than the Haynes and definitely necessary (solved a wiring short last week for instance that I never could have sorted without the diagrams).

I'm assuming you have a B4, can anyone comment on the TDI coverage in that version?

TDI
96 Passat
Ah, good question actually... I have the Bentley for both the A3 and the B3 platform as I've had both vehicles. The A3 one has the AAZ/AHU info while the B3 one has all the chassis / wiring / brake / suspension etc stuff specific to the car.

I was surprised at how limited the B3 manual was compared to the A3 one. Still waaaaay better than the Haynes and definitely necessary (solved a wiring short last week for instance that I never could have sorted without the diagrams).

I'm assuming you have a B4, can anyone comment on the TDI coverage in that version?

Yes sir, mine is a B4 platform vehicle.
are the engines entirely the same as a B3 / A3?

this'll get fairly confusing then haha.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The B4 has the same engines as the A3, more or less... Canadian A3 cars were available with a TBI 1.8 as yet another option. The B3 shares the VR6 and AAZ with the A3 platform but also has its own 1.8 16V variety.

The TDI found in the B4 was engine code 1Z while the TDI in the A3 was AHU, but they're virtually identical. The specs etc are all the same. There's some subtle differences in very early 1Z engines but nothing that's really going to show up in a Bentley. They use a different turbo, but it performs the same. All the diagnostic procedures etc are the same.

Youll definitely need the B4 book for stuff like brakes, wiring, ABS (if equipped), anything body related, etc. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to snatch about A3 Bentley if you find one cheap.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
IDK about Canada but in the US the B3 did not get the 1.8L 16v, it only got the 2.0 16v.

As Vanbcguy said the Mk3 Bentley manual that covers tdi engines will be a big asset since it's available in book form. Electronic media are ok for some things but i find for work manual you end up printing pages anyway so get the bound version. Just be sure the one you buy is for 1997 and up Mk3, earlier versions will only cover the ABA and AAA engines.

Check Vortex in the Mk3 FS forum for a used one, there are typically some floating around there being sold

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
First off, you can resurface any head but you need to reseat the valve seats deeper to compensate. Also this is happening to me but im running 31 PSI and i had to up the torque on my ARP headstuds.

What you should do is swap the head studs one at a time with ARP studs. and do like 5 heat cycles and re torque. This fixes this issue many times. If oil and coolant are not mixing, your head is fine and does not need a new gasket. If there are mixing than you need a head job done.

TDI
96 Passat
The B4 has the same engines as the A3, more or less... Canadian A3 cars were available with a TBI 1.8 as yet another option. The B3 shares the VR6 and AAZ with the A3 platform but also has its own 1.8 16V variety.

The TDI found in the B4 was engine code 1Z while the TDI in the A3 was AHU, but they're virtually identical. The specs etc are all the same. There's some subtle differences in very early 1Z engines but nothing that's really going to show up in a Bentley. They use a different turbo, but it performs the same. All the diagnostic procedures etc are the same.

Youll definitely need the B4 book for stuff like brakes, wiring, ABS (if equipped), anything body related, etc. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to snatch about A3 Bentley if you find one cheap.

hey vanguyBC, any idea what the item number of the manual you have for the A3 motor you have is? the ebay seller isn't being very helpful, I explained everything I needed, and they've simply asked me what manual I do need.

i've already explained that I need one that details out the A3/B3 motor, after dealing with the nonsense of ordering the book for my TDI that has zero information on the TDI.

any idea what your manual's number is?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The version I have;

Volkswagen Jetta, Golf, GTI, Cabrio Service Manual
Jetta, Golf, GTI 1993-1999
Cabrio 1995-2002
Including 1.9L TDI, 2.0L and 2.6L VR6

ISBN 978-0-8376-1660-5
UPC 978037616605

Otherwise same numbers as above. Mine is the hardcover edition so that may be the source of the different numbers.