Trouble reconnecting downpipe

Rayovac

TDI
2003 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Passat Wagon
I'm trying to reconnect the downpipe to the turbo on my ALH after swapping out the cylinder head, but I can't make the holes line up with the turbo studs. Lots of manhandling the flex pipe and I've even tried lowering the engine again to see if the angles work better, but dice.

Any tips? I didn't anticipate this being the most difficult part of the job.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Pretty straight forward. No tips or tricks. Not sure why you would be struggling. There is more than enough play for it to go on easily.

Make sure one of the studs isn't bent.

dweisel

Rayovac

TDI
Turbo stayed attached to the exhaust manifold and came off as one. Installation back on the head went smoothly, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

I ended up loosening the exhaust bracket further back to get a little more movement in the downpipe. This finally allowed me to get the studs into the holes, but it still isn't a nice fit.

Maybe the downpipe got bent out of position a bit when I was removing the head? Seems unlikely.

Rayovac

TDI
Ok, I'm an idiot.

It wasn't until I tried to install the dogbone mount that I realized the lip of the transmission was hung up on the sway bay. Pushed the engine away from the firewall and now it swings freely, like it should.

3 hours of my life I was I had back.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Sometimes you just need to walk away from a problem. Come back later and it usually helps for some reason.

Glad you got it sorted out.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only idiot around here;) Nice to have a clean resolution.