Looking for tips to remove rear caliper carrier bolts

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
I've been fighting these things for years. Can't really get my triple square socket & extension in there just right. Any ideas for making this easier? Is there a long triple square that makes it easier?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Any particular reason for removing? You know the disc slips out with the carrier in place?

The position of them is dam awkward but thankfully never had to remove them from a mk5 yet.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Any particular reason for removing? You know the disc slips out with the carrier in place?

The position of them is dam awkward but thankfully never had to remove them from a mk5 yet.
That would be awesome, but I've never been able to remove the rotor with the carrier in place. I guess I can try again.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi

WDNM

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI BRM w/ manual
I've been fighting these things for years. Can't really get my triple square socket & extension in there just right. Any ideas for making this easier? Is there a long triple square that makes it easier?
Have you tried using a wobble with an impact?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
There are at least two different sizes of rotors, the smallest can be removed without taking the carrier off.
I had to take my car to a garage to get it on the lift to undo them, couldn't get enough leverage any other way.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta
haven't seen the small rotors on these cars. i replaced the rear hubs on my 06jetta tdi. at the same time i put drilled and slotted rotors on. n order to get the proper torq at the factory, i would say the assembly is put together before the the rest of the links are added.i bought my 2 triple square sockets at napa. one for the hub bolt which is a 1 time use since the bolt was replaced by a hex head and the caliper bracket triple square socket. those sockets had a hex body on them so i was able to put a 5/8" wrench on them to break them loose. did the same to tighten back up. a crows foot works well also with a torq wrench for final torqing.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
As mentioned above, the caliper stands needs to come off to get rotors off. You'll need to get some height (car from ground) to get some good leverage in there or if using impact use a flex coupler or a "wobble" extension....just make sure you can get at it dead square and impact away....it'll break free.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Maybe the small rotors are for European market only? Our Golf has them, takes a few minutes to change them..
My Skoda has the larger ones, takes a little longer to do those. The drive shafts get in the way too...

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5