www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 28th, 2016, 16:09   #91
LLL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36mpg/6.5l

Maybe you are right, Mcgink, I'll think about it.

'95 TDI CL 90hp 5 manual 1Z

Every time I brag my car, something breaks down on it!
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 15:20   #92
LLL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36mpg/6.5l

Done. Now and never again! #!!\@%%&#!
------------------------------------------------

'95 TDI CL 90hp 5 manual 1Z

Every time I brag my car, something breaks down on it!
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 14:09   #93
0die
Veteran Member

Does this have any impact on the AC system? I can't get any cold air. I did the blend door repair a couple years back. Helped the heat but didn't do anything for my AC woes. the lines under the hood get ice cold. nothing out of the vents.
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 19:16   #94
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

The repair will help keep the hot air from getting in and raising your DA°.

Is the evaporator clean?

Both lines get cold? Only the suction/low side should get cold.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 13:09   #95
rpeasley

TDI(s): 96 Passat
Fuel Economy: 40 to 43

Thanks.
rpeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 13:24   #96
0die
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Both lines get cold? Only the suction/low side should get cold.

-Todd
that's what I thought...well the high side gets cold right after the metering valve/orifice I think...where on the B4 is that orifice?
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 16:37   #97
ToddA1
Veteran Member

In an insulated box by the firewall. It's a TXV.

If you're planning on replacing it, buy a decent one and replace the dryer.

-Todd
Old April 24th, 2016, 07:28   #98
raenglehart

I had the center console partially out to check the A/C relay back there and decided to go ahead and tackle this diverter doors foam issue. I have to be honest, I was a little hesitant, but it actually only took me 45 minutes (maybe less). I did not have to remove the airbag and used the green sticky (one side) felt. I actually had some left over that I used to make a fishing rod ceiling holder a couple years ago. Not a surprise, not a lick of foam was left. It went well. Now back to the no A/C problem (I'll start a new thread on that).

I appreciate sharing the shortcut (the hell with pulling the entire dash....lol)

Last edited by raenglehart; April 24th, 2016 at 07:33.
raenglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:07   #99
greensa

Thank you for the 'tutorial'. Help my friend a lot, and also ran all the replies - so much good info! And the best one was to work clean, because that foam sticks everywhere. Of course, my boyfriend did the work,m but I was the boss
Old May 30th, 2016, 14:29   #100
ToddA1
Veteran Member

This may be useful to some. Found this when I was needed to reinsulate my home TXV and lines.

Soft closed cell foam with a pretty aggressive adhesive.

-Todd
Old December 24th, 2016, 06:06   #101
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

thanks to everyone for contributing, real good info. i just love how the crappy VW engineers, saving what a few pinching bucks, put something like this together. vent doors and all. then so many years later we have to go in and go behind them, with difficulty and jungle gyming i might say, contortionist. todd is humble, with a lot of useful added info on this post. so looks like im going to get to it today, maybe thru tomorrow. although i lack to radio removal keys, i ll see how it goes. have experience doing this on mk2, for them its not too difficult, other than some steps, the hardest part(for a mk2) is getting the front vent box clear, and not cracking it. its a little tight, then again we all can relate after a job like this. on the mk2 the doors are now right there. so on to my info. i just love the guy who goes over-board, exhaust tape,haha, real fancy glue. like said its pretty basic a job, and i use al tape, with really good glue, should be permanent. so i have reg.cheapo wally-mart hvac tape, rather cheap, kind of thin, for the real good stuff, yea its cheapo. so i ll double it up. heres my 2cents. so the glue i use is this. looks like it may not be available, as looking on 3-m site, i can find a lesser listing, so see if i can get pic posted
http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...3193884&rt=rud
see if this takes, so its quite similar, prob cause ive had my can for how long,, so it looks same. super trim adhesive, hope it helps. seems to work right.
i ll have to see how to post pics, on site, as i kind of hate photobucket, give me a bit.
link will do.

Last edited by iluvmydiesels; December 24th, 2016 at 06:15.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 20:21   #102
damac

TDI(s): none

i am dealing with a mk2 but this applies. i have found various posts on forums when researching this project that mentioned vw made some doors solid or with holes for a reason?

and the holy doors may use foam on each side that allow a bit of air to get through so you can change the flap doors with the high fan speed on without breaking parts for the flap door actuators?

i got cable driven flapper and a vacuum type but there are plastic gears and levers. i'm right in the middle of this project and not sure what to do at this point?

i don't think the holes were to save weight or something since i have solid doors on my car to?
damac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 16:24   #103
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what your question is…

If your foam has gone bad, I'm sure you've had foam flying out of the vents and have also seen a plastic film, mixed in. A few years back, I parted a B4 with (amazingly) good blend doors. What I had noticed was the pourous foam had a thin plastic backing for the adhesive.

What I had surmised, was although the foam was porous, the plastic film would not have let air pass through it.

-Todd
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:46   #104
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

from what ive heard, quite sometime ago, the holes in the (vent)doors was/is to cut down on over-all production costs, the cheap-o german b-stards. you migh think its not a lot, not for you or one individual car, but run a production line and you get some savings back. was also thinking its the industry telling you that product is about used up, ante up for another, etc.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:08   #105
reddtekk

I performed this repair the year before last. I thought my heater core was clogged before reading this thread. I used felt from WalMart, spray adhesive AND aluminum duct tape to adhere the felt to the door. I don't think I'll be in there again. At least I hope not.

They probably used the blanks for something else....wouldn't surprise me at all....I've rummaged through the scrap bin in the press room where I work for metal stock plenty of times before and always come out with what I need.
reddtekk is offline   Reply With Quote