Oil around valve cover, in intake tube, low oil level

Spring1898

Veteran Member
Hello All,
Was getting around to changing my air filter on my 05 B5.5, probably first time ever changed. Was dirty but not as bad as some, with minor deformation of the pleats.

When pulling off the intake hose to have a look at the turbo I notice oil inside the tube which appeared to be coming from the (CCV?) tube that runs off the plastic valve cover over top the engine.

So I pulled off the plastic cosmetic/accoustic cover from on top of the engine and notice oil around the edge of the tube and some oil that looked like it was leaking from the passenger side of the valve cover.

Not sure if the valve cover is leaking or if it was from the breather tube, or maybe some residue from the last oil fill?

I checked the engine oil, which was halfway down the checkered space (1/4 quart low?). Oil was changed 3k miles ago.

So is that normal?

Car has 47,500 miles, has an EGR delete, and a BW43A turbo on it, that in the past has given me limp mode from a poorly adjusted actuator. It actually just did it again on a 300 mile trip and I was considering adjusting it a quarter turn but want to rule out possibility of pressure issues causing oil leak.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
A little oil in the intake tracts of TDIs is normal. Use some brake cleaner or engine degreaser to clean the area around your suspected valve cover leak. If it is the VC gasket leaking, you should be able to see it seeping again in a few days.

I would consider that oil level normal, but are you certain that oil level was even at the top of the range after the oil change?

You shouldn't simply adjust the actuator "a quarter turn", do it properly with a vacuum tool like a MityVac. The rod should start to move between 3 and 5 in-Hg and be against the stop at 18 in-Hg.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Spring1898

Veteran Member
I changed the oil this last time so I made sure that it was at the correct level.
I assume that if it is leaking around the cover, it probably just needs a new gasket? Bolts on the valve cover seem tight

If so I may hold off on that until I replace the cam shaft this summer.
the BV43a was originally adjusted badly. I originally used a mity vac to make the lower adjustment 4mm/hg, and the upper to be 16mm/hg.

I readjusted the actuator yesterday to move up to around 17mm/hg. But still getting boost issues, though the car has less turbo lag now.
I don't have VCDS to confirm the boost differential so I am hesitant to go up substantially. But I suppose I have a little more room up to 18mm/hg

I did fill up the car before I left on the trip. Could I have gotten a bad batch of diesel?

The thing I find odd is I was having no problems for a while and now they have started again.