Torque Converter clicking noise :(

bmregan8818

TDI
'05 Passat
Just a few minutes ago I started up my passat after having the engine removed to replace the transmission. This is my second trans swap that has resulted with this clicking noise. Before I installed this trans I checked to make sure the torque converter was the properly seated and a fellow forum member who I bought this trans from confirmed that the torque converter was seated when I picked it up. I am completely baffled and growing frustrated. Is there any way to fix an improperly seated torque converter as it sits in the vehicle?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Sounds like the torque converter isn't seated. It easily could have moved in all the transporting, removal, and installation.

Also had issues with dust shield hitting stuff. That is easier to diagnose though.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yep, it is easy to bend the metal plate sandwiched between engine and transmission and then the starter will push it in enough to let the TC bolts to hit. Turn engine by hand and see if you hear it. If you can, remove the starter and see if the sound goes away.