New 2013 TDI in Massachusetts, I was wondering if you can answer some questions ?

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
My TDI is going to be garaged under a car port. Do I need to install a block heater ?
How long does it take the glow plugs to heat up when it's 10 degrees outside ?
Do I need to run antigel fuel additives in the winter or is the winter blend of fuel good enough ? Is it best to run B10 ?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
The only one I can answer is the B10 - No, it is not best to run B10. B5 is the max allowed by VW to keep your warranty.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Based on my experience with diesel fuel distrubutors, an additive would be a good idea just to help keep water dispursed in the winter.

With the new CRs, the glow plugs don't cycle long at all.

-Rich

mrmmacd77

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
At 34 degrees this morning in Grafton, MA my GP's lit up for 3~4 seconds only... anything over 40 and it's almost instant. I wouldn't worry about a block heater from what I've read in other posts. Most that are installing them seam to be in the negatives a lot. I have to leave mine outside all winter, I'm not really worrying about it.
I'm going to start running some anti-gel formula to dispurse water if any, and give the HPFP a bit more lubrication but just in the winter.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I've had TDI's (in Boston) since 1998. At no time have I needed a block heater to start up the car. If I have access to a plug, it does help with getting the heat up, but then again, I have heated seats so it doesn't really really REALLY matter. But it would be nice.

That said, the newer cars are even more efficient at getting the car/heat up and going, so I'd say, "Fuget abaad it!" ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nope. It says things have been done like a type of insulation on the oil pan and such to retain available heat better, thus reducing warm up time.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
And there's an electric heating element in the HVAC to assist in heating the interior.

And the ECU tries to get the exhaust system up to temperature as quickly as possible to keep the emissions in compliance.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I'm with BeetleGo. My cars are parked outside. When it's REALLY cold, I cycle the glow plugs a couple times. The best advice is to keep a good, strong battery in your car and maintain your fuel filter.

If my weather prediction--based on volume of acorns--is correct, invest in some snow tires.