Balance shaft delete. How to and part numbers

kevindawn

TDI
o5 passat gls
A couple weeks after buying our passat, we had a run away injector ruin a piston. So we pulled the motor and sent it to the rebuilders. They said my main bearing were basicaly melted!! They polished my crank, and it cleaned up great.
The car has 220,000 on it, and I swear its the original BS chain!! I'm now having my rebuilders put in the BS delete. I think the BS is BS!!

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Its my understanding that there are no undersize bearings available for the bhw so I hope the crank cleans up to spec and none of the rod or main journals have worn beyond tolerance.
The ALH main bearings are the exact same and you can get oversize for them ;). The rod bearings are the buggers.

Last edited:

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Tdi, 05 Passat Tdi, GL320 CDI
idparts has the oilpump for $72 while the best at dealer i can get is double that.... The one on idparts is made by bocar so its aftermarket..... What do you guys think? ......MJM tuning has decent alternate made by Meyle for $89 or has the oem unit for $99 and some hamburg technic unit for $79. also ecstuning has one made by mtc for around $40 or so but i wont even go there :)

Im leaning towards MJM with either the Meyle or their oem unit....

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Oil pump isn't a good place to save a few bucks unless you feel lucky.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Where is bocar made? Did you check what you can get the oem for at 1stvwparts.com?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Bocar is one of the Brazillian brands, been making parts for Volkswagens for decades, it should be fine.

b3tdi

TDI
91 passat tdi
just completed this bsm delete with perfect success.
vibration is minimal in my opinion on a auto car,

1/8npt tap fits the hole perfectly fyi, slow and steady tap all the through , no need to drill,

have yet to do any oil pressure tests, but the engine is quiet with no warning lights.

this swap out the door with timing belt and all the hoo ha $2200 retail.

big thanks to this thread!!!!!

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
Bocar is one of the Brazillian brands, been making parts for Volkswagens for decades, it should be fine.
That's a Bocar in the pics I posted. The Sprocket is OG VW with logo and part#'s on it.

1/8npt tap fits the hole perfectly fyi, slow and steady tap all the through , no need to drill,
Nice. What brand of tap did you use? I tried 3 different ones and noticed they were all different lengths. The shortest one wouldn't even start. Did you use an alen type plug and get it flush?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I've got a local machine shop fabricator that is going to make some peanut-shaped blockoff plugs for that port, should screw into the block right next to it, in one of the unused threaded holes.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
just completed this bsm delete with perfect success.
vibration is minimal in my opinion on a auto car,

have yet to do any oil pressure tests, but the engine is quiet with no warning lights.

this swap out the door with timing belt and all the hoo ha $2200 retail.

big thanks to this thread!!!!!
Glad to hear it! I know there's other people like me that would rather save $1000 and deal with a slight vibration increase.

I'm hoping to have mine back together this weekend. Ended up having to strip the block down because the #4 piston lightly smeared in the bore :mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad:. Luckily a good friend of mine had a set of 3 used BHW pistons that I was able to pick up for less than the cost of a timing belt kit. Block is down at machine shop to get lightly honed to clean up the aluminum smear. The bore itself was perfect.

Tip for anyone needing rings for a BHW that don't want to pay $110 a hole; A 12 valve VR6 uses the same 3mm wide 81mm oil rings, buy 4 cylinders worth of vr6 rings for about $32 ea. Call up Total Seal for the compression rings, about $150 for the ring set, toss their 3 piece oil rings. So now you have a set of really nice rings for a little over half price of oem BHW rings.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I would imagine that the pistons originally were matched as to weight. weighing pistons is a good idea whenever mixing them as you probably already know. any ridge at top of bore? As some readers here are not as adventurous or skilled as you, the short block route may be a better alternative for them under same circumstances. By the time they bought pistons/rings, bearings, bsm/oil pump stuff, machine shop charges,labor, they would have spent less on the sb. I think you would agree?

b3tdi

TDI
91 passat tdi
i

Nice. What brand of tap did you use? I tried 3 different ones and noticed they were all different lengths. The shortest one wouldn't even start. Did you use an alen type plug and get it flush?

its a matco tap , id call it medium length. used an allen steel plug, sits flush.

auto tranny in this one starting to shudder,, sorry about your luck budddy.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It might well be that the trans in these cars doesn't like the increased vibration. Perhaps ZF originally specified the balanced engine to mate with the trans. maybe someone knows?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
OK dumb question, but when people go to a geared BSM they put "Chainless xx/xx/xx". If you are going this route are you supposed to put "BS-less"?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I would imagine that the pistons originally were matched as to weight. weighing pistons is a good idea whenever mixing them as you probably already know. any ridge at top of bore? As some readers here are not as adventurous or skilled as you, the short block route may be a better alternative for them under same circumstances. By the time they bought pistons/rings, bearings, bsm/oil pump stuff, machine shop charges,labor, they would have spent less on the sb. I think you would agree?
No, piston sets aren't weight matched from the factory. However, any performance machine shop will weight match the entire rotating assembly. There was no ridge at the top of the bore and the cross hatch in the cylinders still looked great. Just a smear in cylinder 4 which also looked to have dropped a glow plug tip at one point so I'm not that mad I'm changing that piston.

For someone who doesn't have my resources, it probably would be cheaper to have gone a short block route. However, I'll only have about $600 in the used piston, rings, and machining costs so that's much cheaper for me.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Tip for anyone needing rings for a BHW that don't want to pay $110 a hole; A 12 valve VR6 uses the same 3mm wide 81mm oil rings, buy 4 cylinders worth of vr6 rings for about $32 ea. Call up Total Seal for the compression rings, about $150 for the ring set, toss their 3 piece oil rings. So now you have a set of really nice rings for a little over half price of oem BHW rings.
Are the Total Seal compression rings specifically for the BHW or VR6?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
They're for the ring sizes of the TDI piston. VR6's have thinner compression rings but the same cast oil ring.
Sorry I'm confused. BHW are wider diameter pistons compared to other PD's right? So you would just order BHW rings and not use their 3 piece oil ring?

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Sorry I'm confused. BHW are wider diameter pistons compared to other PD's right? So you would just order BHW rings and not use their 3 piece oil ring?
Correct, BHW's are 81mm bore, 79.5mm is the normal ALH/BEW/BRM bore size. You order the "gapless 2nd" ring set for a VW TDI with a 81mm bore and 1.75mm, 2mm, and 3mm ring sizes. Total seal doesn't know the engine code, only bore/ring dimensions.

Yes, toss their 3 piece oil ring setup. In theory it should work fine, however I had a motor their oil rings didn't seat on and I'm not taking that chance again. Motor had 500psi of compression in 3 puffs, but burned 2 qts every 5K. Re-ringed it with VR6 oem oil rings and new Total Seal compression rings (motor had them in there before), dingleberry honed the cylinders, and no more oil consumption now.

oilhammer

TDI
'Dingleberry hone' ... haha, never heard it called that before. Is it funny I know exactly what you mean, though? :D

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
three piece oil rings are tricky as they are hard chrome faced . good idea to not use them on diesels as they do not seem to wear in at all with all the top cyl lube they get from fuel.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the hard clear glaze that forms on the cylinder walls will often prevent rings from seating unless its removed by sufficent "dingleberrying"

ethelene

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
How much more vibration is there after the mod? My 05 is my wife's car and I want to keep it as smooth as I can. Is there any videos before and after or better yet a car done in Portland? I can't wait to get the monkey off my back on this one.

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
One about to be done in Portland...

Whitbread

TDI
Several
I've slept a total of 8 hours in the last 50 some; but my passat has been resurrected and is driving like a dream. I'm off to bed. Here's pics from yesterday

Block tapped for BEW front cover since mine was exploded

no more BS unit. 1/8" pipe plug is under the windage tray for bs oil feed.

In all honesty, I can't tell the difference without the BSM. Every B5.5 I've ever been in has noticeable vibration, mine is no different but I don't feel any worse. It drives as smooth as silk. I couldn't be happier with the results.

magnumak

TDI
2004 Passat wagon
good to hear. Get some rest and enjoy the vacation, mine will be in Lima waiting for you when you get back.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
original front cover would have worked had you had an unbroken one? Congratulations on the great conversion. Theoretically it should have a little more horsepower without the bsm.